Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F4 - 1st Gen. 1998-2009
Register FAQ Members List

Old 04-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
gotojoe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Default F4 Radiator..Cracking problems..Blue Mist

I had owned my 09 1000R 312 for a few months only and I went for a ride into North Wales...20 miles outside Porthmadog a strange aroma wafted upwards from the area of the top radiator and I stopped to investigate.

Well it wasn't long before the " Blue Mist " descended and I worked out that the rad had cracked ..funnily enough where they all seem to crack at the top left corner.

Involved then was a 140 odd mile recovery home for me and the bike..

and loss of the bike for a few months waiting for the warranty approval and the part to arrive from Italy and the fitting and the 250 mile round trip to the dealer etc etc etc.

The fault I believe is due to the radiator being not strong enough at the top left edge which is supporting the weight of two water filled rads...The right side does not from anecdotal evidence appear to crack which it would be reasonable to surmise is due to that side beibg supported by the cooling fan acting as a stressed member.

Is there a solution ?

Well in amongst a box of odds and sods I bought I noticed a bracket which can act as a stressed member on the LEFT side of the Radiator.

It transfers the load on that side directly to the frame bracket and so there is very low loading on the radiator Top edge...Clearly a much improved situation.

So, Following a few requests from forum members..I've had a small batch of these Radiator support Brackets manufactured in Stainless Steel...and tested them on my spare Radiator for fit...

I've attached a few pictures to try to illustrate...Hopefully these will reduce breakdown of the rads...which is an expensive game if you are out of warranty.

I'm going to fit on to my 312 next week. I was told by the dealer that the new warranty rad was just as likely to crack as the old one. I see this as a situation not good each time I go out for a ride.

I'll post some pics. I believe there is no need to drain the system and it should be very easy to slide the bracket in to position by undoing two bolts..

It is important also to note that this bracket does not touch the back of the radiator so will not damage the water galleries.

I'll post in for sale ..

I just added a pic showing how the top "eye" of the bracket fits into the grommet. This is important for location and vibration absorption..

joe
Attached Images

Last edited by gotojoe : 04-30-2012 at 03:04 AM.
gotojoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
chay250
Established Member

interesting post joe but just to remind unfortunate souls who do suffer a cracked rad that there is a good chance that the factory will honour a claim on a bike that is out of warranty as they did with me - mv are aware that this is a common fault - simply take your duff rad to your nearest mv dealer and submit a claim.
colin
chay250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
ASSAIL

I just got mine fixed after suffering a crack in the same spot. Definately looks like it will take some stress off the top left mount and in turn the top left tubes.
ASSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
gotojoe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by chay250 View Post
interesting post joe but just to remind unfortunate souls who do suffer a cracked rad that there is a good chance that the factory will honour a claim on a bike that is out of warranty as they did with me - mv are aware that this is a common fault - simply take your duff rad to your nearest mv dealer and submit a claim.
colin

Thank you Colin..and yes I have done just that with my 312..The problem for me is that I do not wish to ride out with the inherent problem still there

There's not much gain for me in going back time and time again for a replacement rad...and some owners have ...

joe
Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Sagerider

Default HA! Got mine coming!

Great idea and well worth the price.
I am very big on preventing problems before they occur.
I want to be able to ride my bikes when ever I feel like it
and weather permits. I do not desire to be waiting for something to be repaired or replaced when a little proactive action on my part could have
prevented the problem in the first place. This is one of those opportunities that come along to save money, time and mental stress.
Thanks Joe!
Old 04-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
lee

No MVs in the Registry

Excellent work Joe. If I still had the T I'd put one of those on it yesterday. Good on ya' lad.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
MVBoogie

Hi Joe, I am not quite clear on where the bracket is breaking. Is the top or bottom radiator? (I just read your post again and it sounds like the top radiator, but if you could confirm I would appreciate it) Also, can you post a photo of the bracket installed on the bike. Also also, this sounds like something I would like to have. Let me know how to get one from you and how much.
Thanks, Barry
Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
ASSAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVBoogie View Post
Hi Joe, I am not quite clear on where the bracket is breaking. Is the top or bottom radiator? (I just read your post again and it sounds like the top radiator, but if you could confirm I would appreciate it) Also, can you post a photo of the bracket installed on the bike. Also also, this sounds like something I would like to have. Let me know how to get one from you and how much.
Thanks, Barry
They crack the top tube on the left upper corner of the top radiator. Right under the mounting bracket.
The pics show how it installs, it just mounts to the top left upper radiator bracket mount also
ASSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #9
gotojoe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Excellent work Joe. If I still had the T I'd put one of those on it yesterday. Good on ya' lad.
Thank you Lee..and all you guys...

joe
Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
adecritten

No MVs in the Registry

Thumbs up Blue Peter badge is in the post

Great post Joe and top marks goes to you for ingenuity and forward thinking. I'd certainly recommend one of these to anyone that has a 2007> F4.

adecritten is offline   Reply With Quote