Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F4 - 1st Gen. 1998-2009
Register FAQ Members List

Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
browngjaustin

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Default Overheating issues with my F4 1000

Bought the bike last year, and found right away the bike overheated in the summer heat. It got to 230 a few times while I was in traffic, and at some point a couple of times it shut down, forcing me to have to restart the thing in stand still traffic. I went back to the dealer and they indicated that there is a known overheating problem with the MV line. They then offered a solution, which was to replace the impeller, hoses, purchase the larger aluminum fans, and add the Water Wetter coolant. I did this at my local Ducati dealer, and they only thing it really did for me was to run cooler when I was moving, but it still runs hot while I am in slow traffic or at a light. I am still getting shut downs while in stand still traffic. Anyone have other issues that caused the bike to maintain its overheating? The only thing really that is left is the thermostat and the radiator, everything else is brand new.

Last edited by browngjaustin : 02-21-2012 at 03:55 PM.
browngjaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
MVBERT

MV in the Registry:
[F4S 750]

I don't know if this is caused partly by design over function in that the designer wanted the bike to have that tight sleek look from the body work?

A well known issue, I have fitted a manual fan switch for when I am in the slow traffic area's as there is a lack of airflow through the fairing at reduced speed. There is a mod to seal the fans against the radiators and fit a 3rd fan unit. Also different fairing panels to allow in more air. Some riders wrap the down pipes of the exhausts to reduce the heat in the fairing radiator area, some riders worry this just makes more concentrated heat travel further along and cause other problems. I have had to redue my heat shields in the fairing and extend them as the fairing was suffering at the side panels and belly pan.

By the way welcome to the forum.

Last edited by MVBERT : 02-21-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: more info
MVBERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
gotojoe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Obvious thing is to make sure there is no air in the system...Take your header filler cap off when the engine is cold and start her up . I tilted mine left to right about 45 degrees to help get any trapped air out. Don't let the engine boil. Let it get into mid 80's then shut off. I did this fir a week before each ride and that got the air out.

Is your bike puking a bit of coolant from time to time ?

Do a search on Fan switch as some members have fitted a manual switch to bring the fans on while on the move to keep the bike cooler..with good success I understand.

joe
gotojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
barthautala

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Or see this thread

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44786
barthautala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
merc07

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

What model F4 1000 do you have ??
merc07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
browngjaustin

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

there is a TINY bit of stain on the garage floor once or twice last year, but I have not seen it this year as the weather has been abnormally cold for Texas so have not had problems with overheating, Of course I moved late last year, so my traffic commute has lessened, so I don't sit in alot of stop and go traffic now.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
browngjaustin

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

I Have the S Model
Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Harvey

There's a load of stuff here aout overheating, which normally catches out the new owners. Try switching off the engine at traffic lights etc, or pick a route through the countryside!
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
browngjaustin

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

I will have to go back to Ducati Austin, to see what exactly they replaced, I know it was pretty substantial as I spent close to $1200 bucks on the parts and labor.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
merc07

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Quote:
Originally Posted by browngjaustin View Post
I will have to go back to Ducati Austin, to see what exactly they replaced, I know it was pretty substantial as I spent close to $1200 bucks on the parts and labor.
If you don't want to fit an external switch, I can re-programme the S model for the fans to come on earlier - mine is set @ 92C on instead of 97C on.

It makes a big difference.

Adam
merc07 is online now   Reply With Quote