|
|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > General > Gear
Register FAQ Members List

Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
two_daily

Default Arai Corsair V vs. Shoei RF1100

Any opinions on these two? I haven't been able to wear any yet, just want some feedback before I make the 20mi journey out to the store. Yes, the RF1100 is cheaper, +1 there.
two_daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
TokyoLunch
The Dude

Of course you know that it is most all about fit, then some on personal preference with things like visor types, colors, etc.

But this isn't like for like. The corsair 5 is the top of the line lid from Arai, which should be compared with the top of the line Shoei X-12. Other than price, I would expect the Arai to "win" on most points against the RF1100.

I prefer shoeis, myself. Nothing wrong with my several Arais, just prefer the Shoeis (I only have the RF1000 and a couple X-11s as they changed visor types on me with the new models...)

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
SBK Japan
TokyoLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Kreativ

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

i love my Corsair 5, the visor is much bigger, is extremely comfortable. plus to my knowledge i believe Arai is the only company that supplies helmets for diff shapes of heads. please correct me if im wrong
Kreativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
getec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreativ View Post
i love my Corsair 5, the visor is much bigger, is extremely comfortable. plus to my knowledge i believe Arai is the only company that supplies helmets for diff shapes of heads. please correct me if im wrong
I have used Shoei helmets for many years - including having a Shoei 'save my head' in two accidents/write offs. In both cases, the Shoei was very good, but then a friend mentioned that I try an Arai.
Arai does indeed make helmets for different head shapes. The visibility is pretty much the same with both helmets, BUT my Arai is a much better fit. The weight of the Arai combined with the less bulky design seems to fit and feel much better than the Shoei - so you can actually ride longer without the soreness in the neck.
It pretty much comes down to the shape of your head and what you feel more comfortable wearing, but after using Arai for the last 6 months, I will 'never' go back to Shoei....The only gripe is that I could not find an Arai V with red/silve colours to match my bike.
Attached Images

getec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
yamadogr1

Have ridden with an Arai since 96 on the street and the track. I have a Corsair 5 which I ride with mostly on the track and a Quantum(not made anymore) which I ride with on the street. The Corsair 5 is pretty noisy. I always wear ear plugs but I prefer the Quantum on the street for that reason. The Corsair 5 flows a lot of air which is great on hot days but it can be too much on cool days even with all the vents closed. I would check out the RXQ for street riding. It has the big eye port just like the Corsair 5 but it will cost you less and it should be quieter. The Service Pavillion people out of PA will probably be at the DC motorcycle show and they can cusom fit you and show you all the Arai models. That way you can get the Arai that fits your head the best.
yamadogr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
mikef4uk

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Which ever one fits you best, try both, pull them down on your head hard and make sure it gives even pressure over your skull etc.

It's strange, I used to be an 'Arai' person, a Shoei just didn't fit......................untill about 2 years ago when I tried a Shoei and it fitted well, in fact better than the Arai, so now I am an 'Shoei' person

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
mikef4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
kawininja

MV in the Registry:
[F4 MY2010+]

This is the one I have and I love it. I have a scorpion as well, but this is superior. The shoei are nice too, so really get what fits and what design you like best. Go try on at the store, find your size, then go order a new but discontinued model on line. You will save a lot of money on the same helmet but older graphics. That is what I did with the cobra.
Attached Images

kawininja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Default The Cobra is nice...BUT....

Beware fo the age of a helmet. Various reports on this say the resins and glues break down at th 5-7 year point and protection is reduced. Find the manufacturing date.

Don't know what kind of wanker would wear a snake on his head though....

Name:  _K5C0072s.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  303.9 KB

I am retiring this helmet for next season due to its age.
Im not in great physical shape anymore, he says, but nowadays I feel more normal on the bike than I do even walking up stairs. Its amazing we can get such power by just twisting your right hand, and as long as you can do that, as long as you can still get that thrill, youre living.
Michael Czysz
silentservice703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #9
kawininja

MV in the Registry:
[F4 MY2010+]

nice taste you have there
kawininja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
silentservice703

Send a message via AIM to silentservice703 Send a message via Yahoo to silentservice703 Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703

Thanks Kawi...I got that before it had officially hit the market. I had to special order it.
Im not in great physical shape anymore, he says, but nowadays I feel more normal on the bike than I do even walking up stairs. Its amazing we can get such power by just twisting your right hand, and as long as you can do that, as long as you can still get that thrill, youre living.
Michael Czysz
silentservice703 is offline   Reply With Quote