# Servicing F4 Ohlins Steering Damper. - MVAgusta.net
|
|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Technical and Hands On > Suspension, Brakes and Tire Tech
Register FAQ Members List

Old 07-30-2011, 02:25 AM   #1
Donsy
Senior Member or something.

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Send a message via Skype™ to Donsy
Default Servicing F4 Ohlins Steering Damper.

Right, I was scared to do this myself because if you get it wrong then it can hurt, well that was my thinking back then.
I now know, thanks to YouTube, that it is realy easy to replace the oil if there is nothing wrong with the seals, and this how you do it okay.
First you remove the steering damper from the bike

Okay jokes aside.
Go buy youself some fork oil, I used Silkolene 7.5W racing oil. 1 Litre bottle.
Get yourself a 2L ice-cream tub (empty one ).
A. Remove the Allen head grub screw which sits opposite to the tension adjuster knob, also turn the adjuster to the fully "hard"position.

Now there is two ways to go about with the next move. I will show the one way only.
This is the easy way but the "you have to be more carefull at the end way".
B.Turn the damper upside down into a jar and move it up and down on the rod - you will see some very ugly oil come out and also a fag filter like black sponge - then a black metal tube about half the size of a fag will fall out, remember which way round this goes back in.

C.Once you have moved the casing up and down the rod till no more oil comes out, you place the entire damper in the ice-cream tub and submerge in oil that you already bought remember. Also turn the damper adjusting knob to the "Žasy" setting.

D. Have a Beer

E.Now this is important - keep the damper submerged at ALL times from here on in. So make sure you have all the bits you removed right there next to you and some clean rags.

F. Now slowly move the damper to and fro on the rod - I found keeping one of the ends on the rod makes for a good place to grip - and now winding the adjuster knob to the "soft" setting if you have not allready done this - keep doing this slowly until all the left-over oil had come out and had been replaced by the new oil. But more importanly, till no more air bubbles come out.
It is very important that you can not feel any air inside the damper, so keep doing it till you are sure you can neither feel or hear any air.
Your last movement is to be with the damper sucking oil IN, so make sure you become clear on this as you suck oil in and blow bubbles out.

G. Now, while still keeping the damper submerged, insert the metal tube with the smaller end first - push it all the way in using something like a scribe - till you can see the thread for the crub screw. Still submerged !

H Now submerge the sponge - squeeze some oil through it to fully empregnate it - and insert it into the damper.

I. STILL submerged.
Now fit the grub screw back it and tighten with a Allen wrench.

Okay now you can take the damper out, wipe it and test it.
Make sure you have NO air in the damper my moving it around and operating it again.
If you hear air bubbles, put the damper back in oil, remove grub screw and insides as before and repeat the steps from E.

Good luck, I did this with my damper and was pleasantly surprised by how big a difference it made, and also how dirty the oil was inside there.

Have another Beer on a job well done.
Attached Images

Mobile - 0438385776 in Australia
eMail me - donsy@teamdouble3racing.com or teamdouble3@bigpond.com [PayPal]
Web - http://www.teamdouble3racing.com/aboutus.php
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...53264738050813

Last edited by Donsy : 08-21-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Donsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
twizel

MV in the Registry:
[F4S 750]

You are a wealth of info Donsy, but what happened to 'D'?
twizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Default Nice one

Cheers for posting these instructions Dons...

John

EMAIL : john@jandrdasilva.co.uk

Warning : Strong Sex References, Hard Drug Use and Strong Language
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
mvrick

No MVs in the Registry

Top Job Mate! Look like you got 1 too many damper.
mvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:44 AM   #5
adecritten

No MVs in the Registry

Lightbulb Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Right, I was scared to do this myself because if you get it wrong then it can hurt, well that was my thinking back then.
I now know, thanks to YouTube, that it is realy easy to replace the oil if there is nothing wrong with the seals, and this how you do it okay.
First you remove the steering damper from the bike

Okay jokes aside.
Go buy youself some fork oil, I used Silkolene 7.5W racing oil.
Get yourself a 2L ice-cream tub (empty one ).
A. Remove the Allen head grub screw which sits opposite to the tension adjuster knob, laso turn the adjuster to the fully "hard"position.

Now there is two ways to go about with the next move. I will show the one way only.
This is the easy way but the "you have to be more carefull at the end way".
B.Turn the damper upside down into a jar and move it up and down on the rod - you will see some very ugly oil come out and also a fag filter like black sponge - then a black metal tube about half the size of a fag will fall out, remeber which way round this goes back in.

C.Once you have moved the casing up and down the rod till no more oil comes out, you place the entire damper in the ice-cream tub and submerge in oil that you already bought remember.

D. Have a Beer

E.Now this is importent - keep the damper submerged at ALL times from here on in. So make sure you have all the bits you removed right there next to you and some clean rags.

F. Now slowly move the damper to and fro on the rod - I found keeping one of the ends on the rod makes for a good place to grip - and now winding the adjuster knob to the "soft" setting - keep doing this slowly until all the left-over oil had come out and had been replaced by the new oil. But more importanly, till no more air bubbles come out.
It is very important that you can not feel any air inside the damper, so keep doing it till you are sure you can neither feel or hear any air.
Your last movement is to be with the damper sucking oil IN, so make sure you become clear on this as you suck oil in and blow bubbles out.

G. Now, while still keeping the damper submerged, insert the metal tube with the smaller end first - push it all the way in using something like a scribe - till you can see the thread for the crub screw. Still submerged !

H Now submerge the sponge - squeeze some oil through it to fully empregnate it - and insert it into the damper.

I. STILL submerged.
Now fit the grub screw back it and tighten with a Allen wrench.

Okay now you can take the damper out, wipe it and test it.
Make sure you have NO air in the damper my moving it around and operating it again.
If you hear air bubbles, put the damper back in oil, remove grub screw and insides as before and repeat the steps from E.

Good luck, I did this with my damper and was pleasantly surprised by how big a difference it made, and also how dirty the oil was inside there.

Great instructions Donsy, especially the bit about having a beer!! I have 12 steering dampers booked in for refurb this afternoon

adecritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #6
Donsy

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Default +10 Ade

lmfao

Old 07-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #7
lee

No MVs in the Registry

Got one of those things on my Cafe HD and it's started to get a wee bit of air at the end of travel. Thanks a bunch for posting this one. Did you find your choice of oil to give you the damping you wanted?

Gonna' need a bucket for mine- really long rod.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Donsy

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Red face aarrgghh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Got one of those things on my Cafe HD and it's started to get a wee bit of air at the end of travel. Thanks a bunch for posting this one. Did you find your choice of oil to give you the damping you wanted?

Gonna' need a bucket for mine- really long rod.
Lee , "Harley's" don't need dampers, they need a lot more B4 we can call them bikes.
Seriously, the 5W felt a bit like the OEM shit. 7.5W gave me more options, with a few clicks spare.
If you watch my race vid's, do not worry, most of my head shaking is suspension related and not damper. I know where it is damper related, but not sure how to translate yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB9zavd20-M

Old 07-30-2011, 11:25 PM   #9
mv2envy

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000]

Thanks for posting this Dons! May have to do this to mine soon!

mv2envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:57 AM   #10
MikeF4Black

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Lee , "Harley's" don't need dampers, they need a lot more B4 we can call them bikes.
Seriously, the 5W felt a bit like the OEM shit. 7.5W gave me more options, with a few clicks spare.
If you watch my race vid's, do not worry, most of my head shaking is suspension related and not damper. I know where it is damper related, but not sure how to translate yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB9zavd20-M
Nice vid Donsy; you really cleaned up there. Spent a lot of time in the rev limiter I thought. Gearing?