# 2003 F4 25,000km on the clock, advice needed. - MVAgusta.net
|
|

Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Technical and Hands On > Maintenance & Tech. Issues (All 4 Cyl. Models)
Register FAQ Members List

Old 01-14-2006, 12:20 AM   #1
vespine

No MVs in the Registry

Default 2003 F4 25,000km on the clock, advice needed.

Hello all. Well, I'm in the market for a bike and have always thought of the F4 as my dream bike, as in: I would always dream about it and never own one

BUT, I have found someone selling a 2003 for less then AU$17,000 which is within my reach. It is from a shop (not private sale) and it has 25,000 km on the clock, which seemss pretty high for a roughly 2 year old bike.

So my question is, what am I looking at? is 25 thousand kms a LOT for this kind of bike? Is it likely I will need to rebuild it soon and how many thousands would that cost? Is there specific things I should look for when considering this purchase? I'm not a complete mechanical newb but I've never ownde a supersport bike before, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Owning one of these would literlally be a dream come true!

Thanks in advance
vespine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 01:36 AM   #2
Velocemoto

No MVs in the Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespine
Hello all. Well, I'm in the market for a bike and have always thought of the F4 as my dream bike, as in: I would always dream about it and never own one

BUT, I have found someone selling a 2003 for less then AU$17,000 which is within my reach. It is from a shop (not private sale) and it has 25,000 km on the clock, which seemss pretty high for a roughly 2 year old bike.

So my question is, what am I looking at? is 25 thousand kms a LOT for this kind of bike? Is it likely I will need to rebuild it soon and how many thousands would that cost? Is there specific things I should look for when considering this purchase? I'm not a complete mechanical newb but I've never ownde a supersport bike before, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Owning one of these would literlally be a dream come true!

Thanks in advance
17 is cheap !!! make sure it's hasn't been crashed...there will be a reason why it is 17 grand. 25,oookm isn't a lot....that's not a worry at all....I know guys with 45000 on the clock and still going strong
Velocemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 01:45 AM   #3
agusta01

Yes agree with others....this would sound alarm bells for me...it's half the price of a new one, and 24,000kms is not really that much.
What condition is it in? 1 owner? Service history?
Ask lots of questions, then if all ok....buy it quick!!

Good luck!
agusta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
vespine

No MVs in the Registry

wow, thanks for the fast response guys

Well, the buy line says:

"This bike is in brand new condition fitted with tinted screen MV performance pipes it also has brand new tyres and has a full service history you won't fault this bike in any way."

So yeah! I'm a bit torn; my alarm bells are ringing too but it is a reputable dealer so (?!?!?) .. I'll call em up and ask if they have any kind of warranty, if so I'm going to go for it!
vespine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
Dr Evil

No MVs in the Registry

Send a message via ICQ to Dr Evil

It sounds like a great deal if it hasn't been dropped. There aren't that many MVs in aus with 25 on the clock so they may have dropped the price a little, I had heard of a Brutale going in perth for $15000, sadly i found out after it was sold. Have a good look at it for areas of typical damage or get an independant check done.

from the red book the prices for a 2003 are

Trade in price guide* $14,300 - $16,900
National average price - private sale* $19,000 - $22,600
Price when new (RRP) $28,990
Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:20 AM   #6
markskysurfer

MV in the Registry:
[F4S 750]

don't be worry , 25000 km ins't so much ,i sold my first Mv with 25000 and it's going goog yet. try to negociate a waranty period....
MK
markskysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:44 PM   #7
Steptoe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 750 SR]

If I was you I'd be getting the original owners details and giving him a ring. Clear up the prevous damage thing and the rest of your reservations about the bike. Ask him what he got as a trade-in and on what did he buy. Dealer might jst be trying to tip it out before it costs them, rather than trying to make big on it as well as what they just sold. An honest 25,000km is better than a dishonest 5,000km. At least in your case the price reflects the condition/mileage.

Does it have stone chips and other wear consistent with 25,000km? Even so, if it's been repaired properly still sounds OK. There was one on ebay older than that with sil-motor carbon pipes (less km though) for $16,500 and not one bid.

Good luck
Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote