MV Agusta Forum banner

Using the speed shifter?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  cristogrr 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am a proud new owner of an F3 and I was wondering how often y'all use the speed shifter. I tried searching the forum and read the manual but I haven't seen anything about not using it all the time.

Is it harder on the engine? I've been using the clutch for just cruising around but try to remember not to when I get on it hard, but sometimes I find myself using the clutch then too. I'm sure it's going to take time to get use to having, but what are your habits?

#3 ·
I use it on my Rivale anytime I'm increasing revs. It doesn't work when the throttle is closed, and l don't use it when maintaining consistent RPMs.

#7 ·
^ yeah 1st to 2nd doesn't work so well if your not really getting on it, and I've figured out the throttle closed deal.

So I'm doing fine it just takes a little getting use to it. I was just concerned that it would cause things to wear faster, but it doesn't sound like I should worry about it.

#8 ·
I use it on my F4 when I'm getting on it hard in the lower gears just as the wheel starts to lift; that way you maintain forward motion w/o having to back off of the acceleration. Works great for straight line or even cornering. I don't know if the F3's lift the front like the F4 does but, it's a life saver; sometimes the front end comes up so fast that I used to back off the throttle and tap the rear break but, now I just shift when it happens. Works great once you get used to using it! -Davis

#9 ·
I totalise 34500km with the F3(2012) , the only think you have to fellow is the chain wear, always greased after a day ride ; the rest is resitant to the quick shift, also with some false neutral points when you hesitate to slam the gear level on bumpy roads> that's why I've reversed the change. Below 6000rpm, you have to dial with the engine load , but it's working well .Above ,is incredible fast change ,faster after 11000rpm when the engine is in its best range of joy....I'm used also to down shift on roads rides , without clutch activation, only keep throttle a little while braking, it's become an habit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.