MV Agusta Forum banner

Heatwrap..is this the solution?

4K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  theknurl 
#1 ·
I burnt a hole on my lower fairing a week back and was told by my mechanic that it was due to the fairing rubbing/touching the manifold... It never happened in the last three years i had the bike..I've since fixed the fairing and the mechanic put a heat wrap around the lower exhaust... Some kind of cloth cum paper material wrapped in foil... Looks neat and convincing.. My first ride wasn't very good because there was a lot of smoke and I'm sure i saw a sparks/fire when i reached the petrol station to fill her up...scared the shit out of me...got down and pushed the bike as far back i could...took it back straight to the workshop and they said it's normal...WTF?! So I made them test it and and lo and behold there was no more smoke/fire...said it was the initial burn off etc etc... This morning i went for spirited riding...When I got back, I saw some portion of the foil wrap peeled off and the paper/cloth heat shield is exposed... The wrap now has gone from convincing to shabby... But is it a solution to the heating problem in the first place? Is it recommended
by MVAgusta? Has anyone done something similar? Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestion(s) to fix the problem.. The bike is going back to the workshop but I need the problem fixed ASAP for the track day next week...:banghead:

#2 · (Edited)
There are different exhaust wraps out there, check for clearance, which model of bike do you have?
How did your fairing get damaged, did your heat shielding fall off, or did your fairing really touch the pipes, missing bracket, movement, can spacers be used, has anyone played with the manifold recently?

I have clued down parts of my heat shielding where the original adesive had failed using a glue with some heat resistance, have used it before on a 500cc 2 stroke with racing pipes that ran closer to the fairing than stock. I also replaced missing shielding and extended in other areas which I deamed were at risk. If you have the money is there a fairing available for track use?

#8 ·
Very nice! I have some leftover wrap from my Ducati and will be doing the same in the coming weeks. Thank you.

I had the same problem with my bellypan after fitting a Bodis system.I got some Titanium heat wrap from Alex at GP Racing and it fixed the melting problem,no smoke or burning.The wrap has done a few thousand kms now and looks as good as the day I fitted it. View attachment 65919

#4 ·
I did the headers on my 1000R, mainly to stop the heat on the fans and try and reduce the temperature, some say it causes the headers to crack, but I never saw that, my lad has a mk2 golf with a 1.8T pushing over 300hp, we had to wrap the downpipe out of the turbo to stop it setting the inside of the car on fire :jsm:

No cracked pipes there either in the last 5 years

Attachments

#5 ·
I did the headers on my 1000R, mainly to stop the heat on the fans and try and reduce the temperature, some say it causes the headers to crack, but I never saw that, my lad has a mk2 golf with a 1.8T pushing over 300hp, we had to wrap the downpipe out of the turbo to stop it setting the inside of the car on fire :jsm:

No cracked pipes there either in the last 5 years

Thanks guys.. will snap a few pics and post here.

#6 ·
Had my original cracked and degraded heat shield replaced under warranty with an improved version which has extended and thicker hard shell and fibre pad components - this combined with going to dot 5 brake fluid has resolved ongoing rear brake fading completely.

Though I rarely use the rear brake it's nice to know that it will work if I really need to.

#9 ·
Decided to remove the wrap and fit self-made brackets to steady the fairings and prevent it from touching the pipes..also bought the wrap from Design Corse.. Will update on performance especially after the track days next week..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.