MV Agusta Forum banner

Front end loose Help Help

6K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  Donsy 
#1 ·
I got the bike back from dealer today, they found out my front end loose, it rock back and forward when I do hard stop and go. What should I do from pix I took and post please be advise.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
man, dealer doesn't have any tools to tight that large ring, that why I have it home and called Noel earlier today to see if he have the right tools for it, and he does have it, what if other issue come up I don't want to leave my bike at Noel house while order the parts and my bike will on his way of his work, I will find some tool to work on as Carl said, hope it just large ring only if not I am in shit for couple more week.

#8 ·
yes, tapered roller bearing are available for the MV steering head.
i'm going to order some from Charlie......Phil called me when Charlie was closing.....Monday it is

:naughty:

:f4:
I'm going to fit taper rollers to mine Noel...I'll do it when I swap the forks for Marzocchis.

I'm sure you guys all know this anyway but if it's rocking back and forth it needs full inspection. Sounds like the big ring is loose...but that could have cause issues in the bearings..and the bearing carrier..Id strip it and inspect and upgrade which is what you guys are doing anyway it seems.
joe

#7 ·
I installed tapered bearings from a 748-996 Ducati with terrific results ! They fit perfectly and were quite inexpensive.

#9 ·
I made a tool for it. Dead simple. I took a piece of heavy steel, measure the distance across the ring from the center of one hole to another, transferred those dimensions to a piece of steel, drilled two holes and pressed in dowel pins. Instant tool. Cut a square hole in the center for a 1/2" drive torque wrench.

I think some one on ebay sells them as well.

#16 ·
Noel I heard a rumor that the Duc bearings were the same as the MV so I called my local dealer and they confirmed they were the same by pulling a set of each off the shelf and measuring them. I'm a cheap skate so I didn't order the set at the dealership but I ordered from a outfit from ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item483f7c7b0e

The dealership was right. I removed the old and busted set and installed the new set in about a couple hours. She bolted right up and steers like a brand new bike.

#12 ·
I have boat gas cap openner, grind it down so it fit for large ring, I already tight the large ring, and brake & press down rock back and forward look like the front end not loose anymore, I'll test ride it today and let you guys know.
Thank you so much for all advise, you guys rock

Attachments

#13 ·
Hi Phil,

You need a few tools. They're a fantastic investment and it sounds as though you are well and truly able to use them...Will save you a fortune in the long run. That large ring which secures the Head bearing carrier has to be torqued down to 95 - 100 N-m. As I see it if it starts slopping about in the frame tube that is not only dangerous but also could cause wear in the frame tube itself...That could write your bike off...

There are many posts on the tools to get and there are sellers on Ebay...

Just my tuppence worth

I like the ladder gantry idea..: )

joe

#14 ·
Thank you so much for those who respond to my posted, it's a great help, test ride the bike today and do couple hard braking, look like the large ring loose only.

Thanks guys

#17 ·
rollers

James;
lots of bikes use that bearing setup........i just want NON Chinese bearings......the link you gave the impression that the tool was USA made.......but the bearing?
its like All Balls.....Chinese bearings

no thanks

:stickpoke

#18 ·
Hey Noel

Do you have the OEM bearing numbers? I'd like to get some off Charlie too (thanks for the tip BTW, he's a great guy to deal with)

Regarding PhilAgusta's original post, great idea using a ladder! Also MV tools aren't that expensive, I've used motomfg tools: http://www.motomfg.com/default.asp. Not the cheapest but I find the quality quite good. The headstock retaining ring socket is like $80...bit on the expensive side but it IS CNC'd and fits perfectly. Will let you torque it correctly too (from memory about 100Nm)

#22 ·
This is in fact quite common, and invariably it is 'as other folk' have commented the large ring that does need tightening.

How come the dealer didn't rectify this problem for you whilst they had the bike as its only a 30 minute job to do?

:popcorn:
Adecritten,
Good point,
Ducati Newports Beach does service only Ducati, they don't even have stem nut tool or tool for large ring for MV, As they notify me my front end was loose, they did ask me to leave it there for couple more week for them to get the tools and try to fit it.

#20 ·
I hate seeing bikes which have been attacked with hammers and drifts ...That big ring should be torqued down to the correct value with the correct tool. It's the steering !

The bikes are expensive and the rider is priceless...For the sake of a few dollars more..get the tools.

As this results in you not having to use the dealer for absolutely everything it's not even a cost. It's an asset.

I'm going to be slightly controversial here and go so far as to say that having a little bit of mechanical aptitude and an understanding of the key safety issues with any road going machine is a pre-requisite of heading out onto the highways ?

#23 ·
I hate seeing bikes which have been attacked with hammers and drifts ...That big ring should be torqued down to the correct value with the correct tool. It's the steering !

The bikes are expensive and the rider is priceless...For the sake of a few dollars more..get the tools.

As this results in you not having to use the dealer for absolutely everything it's not even a cost. It's an asset.

I'm going to be slightly controversial here and go so far as to say that having a little bit of mechanical aptitude and an understanding of the key safety issues with any road going machine is a pre-requisite of heading out onto the highways ?
Joe,
I am 100% agree with you, I need to get couple usefull tools for my MV since this bike going on the track

#25 ·
A pin wrench is a very standard tool and Bearings generally follow standard schedule size and specification no mater what type of machinery they exist in. Almost any decent size city has a bearing shop or two who will have bearings in stock or available quickly and they are relatively inexpensive.

I'm shocked by the notion MV Agusta would use anything other than Taper bearings in a head stock! A quick look at any ISO bearing catalog will confirm that Taper roller bearings carry far more load than any other type of bearing for this kind of application, but you don't crush tighten them like loose ball races they require very little pre-load. IF my F3 comes with loose balls, that is one thing that will be changed asap.

You should be inspecting your bikes as often as you ride em and it's careless to have a high reliance or dependancy on dealership service personal only. Your bike must have been handling like crap once the head was even slightly loose, time to check out your wheel bearings, swingarm and rear suspension linkage too.

Stay away from high pressure power washers, use an old toothbrush to clean all the tight spots on your bikes, learn to service anything you can and they might last as long as mine. (currently riding a self serviced 1986 BMW K100RS)

#26 ·
bearings?

I'm shocked by the notion MV Agusta would use anything other than Taper bearings in a head stock! A quick look at any ISO bearing catalog will confirm that Taper roller bearings carry far more load than any other type of bearing for this kind of application, but you don't crush tighten them like loose ball races they require very little pre-load. IF my F3 comes with loose balls, that is one thing that will be changed asap.

You should be inspecting your bikes as often as you ride em and it's careless to have a high reliance or dependency on dealership service personnel only. Your bike must have been handling like crap once the head was even slightly loose, time to check out your wheel bearings, swingarm and rear suspension linkage too.
+10

What bike manufacturer uses tapered roller bearings besides BMW?
none that i know of......

what, you think they hire real experienced engineers to design bikes?

look at the POS cush drives on most bikes (not MV)

Yamaha uses aluminum jamb nuts with rubber in between them on the steering stem :wtf:how is that going to work?

for years Ducati rockers had the chrome fall off (17 different designs)
hey dumb fucks, you have NO OIL PRESSURE going to the heads....yes it measures 65-70 psi with Redline 20/50 at the top of the cooler......but 1 psi at the head!!!!!
20 years and nobody checked it but me!

look at the caveman fuel injection on bikes

electrical systems that need battery tenders :wtf:?

my KTM has 3 oil drain plugs, 3 different sizes, you have to bend the oil filter to install it and the oil fill is a 10 mm bolt hole

on Kenny Roberts' OW-31, the front of the motor is rubber mounted the rear solid :wtf: it breaks the frame or the motor?

BMW wheels aren't in the same plane ? :wtf:

what's with Italian bike cooling systems ? could they use any more hoses? they have Japanese radiators but have you ever seen a car radiator mounted like that?

:jerkoff:

#27 ·
What bike manufacturer uses tapered roller bearings besides BMW?
none that i know of......

I had a Ural 650 a few years back. It had taper rollers in the wheels..same size front and back..same in swing arm and also steering head. She sat in the back of a shed for 23 years....and then started first kick on the vapour in the carbs...I do not lie ; ). I stripped and inspected the bearings...no rust..regrease and she was good to go...

and go she did...

ps I think there was sharing of technology between Germany and Russia at the design stage

#28 ·
Montesa

Of the 4 Montesa motorcycles I've owned since 1976 all had taper bearing headstocks, plus as you suggest my BMW has tapers. Taper bearings are quite inexpensive if you buy them from a bearing supply shop, so it's fuzzy logic for a manufacturer to use an inferior bearing setup in an assembly as critical to handling and safety as the steering head. (I have dozens of small taper races sitting in my garage that cost me only 15 $ per)

Do MV Agusta factory race bikes have balls or just the riders :grin:
I'm buying the F3 with the belief that MV Agusta is a very high quality design manufacturer bringing considerable race track experience to the table, but possibly I'm naive to expect their production offerings should reflect that knowledge.

Has anyone thought of putting grease fittings on the areas where stock bearings have proven problematic, specifically the rear hub and steering head ?

#30 · (Edited)
I'm buying the F3 with the belief that MV Agusta is bringing considerable race track experience to the table, but possibly I'm naive to expect their production offerings should reflect that knowledge.

:errr:

That's all a very long time ago now though and things have progressed a great deal since MV Agusta were considered as being seriously competitive at world level on a race track, but don't be too hard on yourself.

#32 ·
go easy on the noob plz.

Since when is the headstock bearing's PROBLEMATIC on the MV's ? Don't start something:stickpoke
And as far us the Hub goes, we are testing a better system at the moment, search Mitchy's post and get up to date !
Apologies, it Was from reading the old posts on this site that I concluded steering head and hub to be potential problem areas. I'm glad that was only conjecture and the all ball races are up to the task. I'll refrain from future contributions until I have my own MV to take apart, thx for the info.

"MV Agusta's racing program in 2008 competed in the Italian Superbike Championship. Luca Scassa won the Italian Superbike Championship on a MV Agusta factory backed effort from the racing department in Schiranna, Varese Italy." ...to an old guy anything that happened this century is current enough to count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.