MV Agusta Forum banner

Newbie Question

4K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  elemental 
#1 ·
Hi All !
Was all ready to do the deal on a new 920 today when I spotted a unregistered 989r sitting in the dealers! As a potential new MV owner can you guys shed some light on the differences between the two ??
Cheers !!!

#2 ·
:blah:personally and i am no expert!!
I really miss my 989r it was a totally different bike to the 920. i went 989r - 990r that packed up then 920. i really enjoy the 920 but the build quality is not the best, my chain guard fell of just after the first service and i cannot seem to get any replacement parts for it. And the one piece seat doesn't quite fit properly all though the one piece is more comfortable. A lady contacted me when she went to buy my old 989r and she bought it, she absolutely loves it. it's got more grunt, engine braking,and the gear box felt solid. the 990 and the 920 gear boxes don't feel as solid. Pluss there should be loads of after market parts available for the 989r.
If was in your position i would check the front headlight glass wasn't loose and give it a good wiggle and go for the 989r.:conveyer:

#3 ·
920 was a step down from the 989R.....brakes, suspension etc.

#4 ·
There's a lot of people (myself included) that prefer the earlier generation Brutie versus the newer models.

#6 · (Edited)
While generally the high spec older Brutales are better then the newer 'budget' models from some viewpoints, you'd be hard to argue that a 989 is better then the 920.

Build quality is just as good now as before form what I've seen, and all components are beautifully crafted, so stuff at the bottom of the league is by no means bad at all.

Brutale S (750cc)
Brutale 910S - (still has more power then a 920)
Brutale 989r - Has the 910r upgrades EXCEPT for the wheels - painted black wheels a bit dissapointing
Brutale 920 - budget seat budget paintwork - electrnics package edges it ahead of a 989r imo
Brutale 910r - Marchesini wheels and all the other goodies, loads of power but a bit less refined then a modern Brutale
Brutale 1090r - Has all the goodies of the latest Brutes except nice but slightly cheaper 1 piece seat, doesn't have the integrated turn signal/mirrors
Brutale 1078rr - The DADDY of the 1st gen models - Tamburinis Brutale swansong, the finest of the finest
Brutale 990r - Has ALL the goodies, just a bit less power then the 1090rr
Brutale 1090rr - THE DADDY!

You could probably pick up that 989r a fair whack cheaper then the 920, depends if it's part of the dealership owners 'private collection' or not wether he'll sell it for what he should. I'd honestly save a bit more and get a used 990r. They were a top machine, not suprised MV realised they were too nice for the price and replaced with the 1090r, the 1090r being a ever so slightly downgraded 990r - although through the trickery of the new name they tried to make it sound better.

#7 ·
My guess is 50 years from now, the first 750 Brutie (especially the Oro) and the 910R will go down as the most desirable Bruties from a collector's point of view. Why? Purity of design in the 750, and attention to specs and paint on the 910R. Sure, the 1078 has more power, but personally, I like the 910R paint schemes way better.

The second generation Brutie is likely a better vehicle, but then again, the Ferrari Daytona was a giant step up over the 275GTB. That being said, 40 odd years later, a 275GTB4 is a million dollar car, and an equivalent 365GTB Daytona won't bring nearly as much.

I won't live long enough to witness whether I'm correct or not, so it's easy to spout off about my opinion.

#8 ·
My guess is 50 years from now, the first 750 Brutie (especially the Oro) and the 910R will go down as the most desirable Bruties from a collector's point of view. Why? Purity of design in the 750, and attention to specs and paint on the 910R. Sure, the 1078 has more power, but personally, I like the 910R paint schemes way better.
Having had both the 750S and the 910R, I couldn't agree more. Though I have to admit I haven't ridden the new generation Bruties.

#13 ·
I have only ridden older ones and an older F4, but I dig my 1078rr and the Grey/Black color of it, but is irrelevant because it will eventually be a Tamburini Stealth. I've made a concerted effort to keep the power plant MV, MV race exhaust and all that but everything else is switched, probably hurt the collectibility factor but whatever, I ride it, not collect it.

#15 · (Edited)
You don't make sense. Smells like the little green eyed monster is involved. ;)

1078rr is the ultimate 1st Gen brute from all angles. Anyone who says different is in the minority.

Regarding 989 vs 920, it's hard one, but I'd say the 920 has got to be better since the 989 missed out on the marchesini wheels that the old 910r and 1078rr's had which would have edged the 989 ahead in my book.

Ignoring the future classic status argument, and living in the here and now I think the only credible 1st Gen alternative to the 920 is the 1078rr. The 1078rr had a few rough edges smoothed from the engine mapping and the ride and handling over the earlier Brutes. It's the pick of the 1st gen crop easily. So the 910r is going to be a much angrier animal then the 2nd gen models, whereas the 1078rr has some of the 'easier to ride' qualities that the 2nd gen models have. (989 was a 1078 with less power and without the wheels, so again it's 'easier to ride' then some of the ealier brutes.)

EDIT: Exact differences between the 920 and the 989r,-
920 cons - Cheaper 1 piece seat, cheaper paintjob
920 pros - Traction control, much more modern display, More modern Lights styling, Easier to ride - better suspension set up

989 cons - Harder to ride, older fasioned display and lighting
989 pros - Nicer paintjob, 2 piece seat, more POWER!!!

am I right in saying the 2nd gen Brutes have a slightly higher seat? important for midgets like me.

#16 ·
I like the 1078 just fine......and yes, it's a monster performer, but I personally think the 910 is more attractive, and it's more than enough of a performer for me.

#17 ·
Some comparison shots....

So, Randaddy-o...this fall will set up a comparison photo shoot...you on your 910 and Cindy on her 1090RR. We'll let the masses decide!:mouthwate

#22 ·
So, Randaddy-o...this fall will set up a comparison photo shoot...you on your 910 and Cindy on her 1090RR. We'll let the masses decide!:mouthwate

Gee thanks.......I'm guessing I'm gonna have to have hundred dollar bills pasted to my jacket for any chance to win.......:naughty:

#18 ·
I only test rode a 1078 so I have limited experience of the older gen brutale. I own a 1090RR.... Its awesome!
In ten years time (or less) MV will bring out a newer version, the R11 or something like that and everyone who owns the 1090RR or 990R will spend hours on here talking about how much they prefer the 1090 and the fact that the new model has somehow lost some of its wow factor. I'll be one of them, mostly in an attempt to stop myself from breaking into the piggybank and buying one.

#20 ·
I chose between a 910R and 1078RR in 2008. I noticed that the turn signals and chain cover was smooth plastic on 1078.
The 910R seemed more exclusive in comparison.

My choice fell on a 910R. But if it would be a standard 910R I had to choose I would have gone for 1078.

But who cares what a crazy Norwegians think.:crazyeyes

#23 ·
I bought a new 920 . Could have had a new 989, 990 etc for less but wanted a upto date bike and not one with a dodgie rear hub and old tech and build quality . I wanted one that had the HD money invested in it . Also how 'old' are these 'new' 989 etc? How long have they been standing around waiting to find a owner ?.

#24 · (Edited)
You bought a 920 when you could have had a 990 for less? I must be missing something, was the 920 new and the 990 second hand? thats the only logical explanation for going with the 920.

The 990r is the new shape and had all the tasty bits from the 1090rr like integrated turn signal/mirrors, two piece seat, lush paintjob. They have discontinued it in favour of a slightly cheaper 1090r (thats 1xr not 2xrr) that now drops the indicators and two piece seat in favour of cheaper ones.

#25 ·
Another newbie here: my observations on the Brutales available where I am right now:

1) A low miles mint 910R or 989R can be had for the same money as a new 920.
2) A new unridden 989R is the same money as a new 1090R or a low miles mint 990R/1090RR.
3) A new 990R or low miles mint 1078RR is only marginally cheaper than a new unridden 1078RR or 1090RR, and only marginally more than 2).

So lots of choice, and big price ranges for all models depending where you look.

I've narrowed it down for me on the basis of ergos (gen 1 vs gen 2) and having a fixed price ceiling, the latter which in my case means a choice of 1) or 2) above. I'm not decided on the ergos yet, so haven't narrowed it down much at all, really :jerkoff:.

#26 ·
They way I look at it is that you can fix all the problems that the Gen I Brutes have - rear hub, twitchy throttle/suspension. But no amount of money can fix the cheap and the ugly of the Gen II's.

And the white/black 910R is the ultimate Brutale as far as I'm concerned. With the silver/red 910S a close second :naughty:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.