MV Agusta Forum banner

F3 Build

22K views 52 replies 19 participants last post by  rz33v4 
#1 · (Edited)
I work at a shop in the US (www.sdsperformance.com) and we are currently building an F3 for a customer. Thought I would share the fun here. Questions and comments are welcome!

Here it is after returning from Dyno break-in.

Speedymoto (www.speedymoto.com) made frame and axle sliders. Case covers by GB Racing. An interesting alternative to billet covers, GB uses injection molded nylon and are much lighter that billet pieces. Those of you in the UK are probably more familiar with GB Racing products, but in the US the company is not very well known yet. Has anyone had the misfortune of actually using these? I'm curious to know how well they hold up.

Aluminum fairing stay from designcorse.co.uk. Pretty rough finish compared to similar products from Motoholders, but it fits well.

Clutch cover by GB Racing

Rear sets, also from designcorse.co.uk They are not joking when they say the race spec finish will have some machining marks. Rough finish indeed! I was pulling slivers of aluminum from my fingers after installing these. Currently Evol Tech (www.evoltechnology.com) is prototyping rear sets for the F3, very excited to see the fiished product as Evol Tech's products are truly works of art.

Apologies for the poor quality of some of these photos. Took a little head scratching, but we did manage to get the rear sets set up for GP shift without having to scrap the quick shifter.

Speedymoto clip-on's. Their design necessitated relocating the key cylinder.

Nice little gas cap by TWM. Blingin' !

Radiator and Oil cooler have been sent to Cox to have guards made for them (www.coxracingroup.com) and a Zard full race system is in the mail, as well as some body work. I will try to add pictures and info as parts arrive and the bike takes shape.

See less See more
#3 ·
How did you manage to keep the quickshifter?

When I put my aftermarket rearsets on, I had to dump it. Tired flipping over - that didn't work either. Going from street shift ("pull" action on the quickshifter) to GP (push action) the stock sensor no longer worked.

What did you do?

Corran

#4 ·
How did you manage to keep the quickshifter?

When I put my aftermarket rearsets on, I had to dump it. Tired flipping over - that didn't work either. Going from street shift ("pull" action on the quickshifter) to GP (push action) the stock sensor no longer worked.

What did you do?

Corran
Corran. Please read my reply to your F3 Track Day thread.
Notice the orientation of the quick shifter in the different photos.

#5 · (Edited)
Ya, for the quick shifter it was simply a matter of where the rod was attached in relation to the pivot point on the shifty pedal. On the designcorse rear sets you can bolt the shift rod in front of or behind the pivot point on the shift lever. If it is attached in front of the pivot point it will "push" and if it is attached behind the pivot point it will "pull". The quickshifter switch is a 'pull only type'. The important thing is finding rear sets that have two mounting points, one if front and one behind the pivot point.

#7 ·
We got the Zard system from a Canadian supplier, though the transaction was facilitated by the parts department at motocorsa in Portland (www.motocorsa.com). They have a stainless steel and titanium system. Cost is about 1700-2400 USD respectively. As far as i know they are one of the few companies that have released a full system that eliminates both the headers and cat. Apparently Zard are pretty loud. Perfect!

#9 ·
We got the Zard system from a Canadian supplier, though the transaction was facilitated by the parts department at motocorsa in Portland (www.motocorsa.com). They have a stainless steel and titanium system. Cost is about 1700-2400 USD respectively. As far as i know they are one of the few companies that have released a full system that eliminates both the headers and cat. Apparently Zard are pretty loud. Perfect!

Any chance of getting a sound clip of the Zard when it gets installed? How are you guys going to tune the bike? The header ECU from MV?

#10 ·
Beauwulf, not sure yet what the owner wants to do for electronics or to the engine itself. Working through the ECU would be ideal but we don't have much support (at all) from MV in the US right now, so that might be difficult. ECU Unleashed has some pretty basic options on offer now, but we would prefer to tune in-house. A Bazzaz unit could resolve fueling issues with the Zard system, but Bazzaz doesnt seem to support the MV product line as far as I can tell, thats not to say one couldn't be made to work. Replacing the entire system with a MoTeC or Microtech unit is also on the table and these are probably the best options available right now. About the zard chip, im not sure, we'll see when the parts arrive.

#11 ·
Sorted... I had to jerry rig it to get it to work because there was no attachment point between the shift peg and the pivot point, but it works great... and still GP.

#17 ·
Sorted... I had to jerry rig it to get it to work because there was no attachment point between the shift peg and the pivot point, but it works great... and still GP.

Must be the same thing they had in mind with the PP Tuning set. Pics courtesy of fellow forum members.
Glad to see you have it sorted.

Attachments

#16 ·
We got the body work from www.designcore.co.uk The quality does not compare favorably with US manufactures like Sharkskinz or Catalyst Racing Composites (CRC), but the price is good. Another set is on the way from Pro-Fiber (www.pro-fiber.com) in Slovenia. The biggest issue with the body work thus far has been finding a superbike style tail section so we don't have to use the stock seat. According to their online store, MV makes a supebike tail but we haven't been able to order one from them.

#19 ·
We got the body work from www.designcore.co.uk The quality does not compare favorably with US manufactures like Sharkskinz or Catalyst Racing Composites (CRC), but the price is good. Another set is on the way from Pro-Fiber (www.pro-fiber.com) in Slovenia. The biggest issue with the body work thus far has been finding a superbike style tail section so we don't have to use the stock seat. According to their online store, MV makes a supebike tail but we haven't been able to order one from them.
Thanks Tom. I quite like the tail unit, lot's of venting on there. Is the belly pan filled in for oil/race regs.

#20 ·
GB Racing is a top brand for engine casing savers over here in the uk, I deal with them on a regular basis aswell as R&G for crash protection. they hold up very well in those small offs, getting you back to the paddock in one piece. most superstock and bsb bikes have ran the gb racing stuff in the past.

#22 · (Edited)
Suspension Upgrades

The stock suspension on the MV doesn't leave the owner with many options for making finer adjustments. This will have to change. We took the bike to our friend and west coast suspension guru Barry Wressell at GP Suspension (www.gpsuspension.com). We knew that the GP Susupension 25 mm fork cartridge kit would fit, though we were unsure if existing fork end cap kits would fit or need to be custom made.

Here she is with both the forks and shock out so we can test fitment

This is the 25 mm OEM cartridge. It has a thin steel body that has been peened into place by the manufacture. the spring is removable, but that's it.

There is no option to re-valve or service the OEM unit, it will be tossed in a can with the Sachs shock...

Putting together parts for the GP 25 m kit: Body selection, dampening rod & piston selection

Here is the fork end cap and its internals, though there were some parts deemed proprietary technology which Barry wouldn't let us photograph...:)

After initial chassis measurements, we opted to make the GP kit 5mm longer than the stock unit and incorporate a 10mm fork cap extender to greater enhance the adjust-ability of the MV chassis.

Because of the OEM design of the fork, this kit uses a compression body in the left leg, a rebound body in the right leg, it has all its adjustments (Compression, Rebound & Preload) integrated into the fork cap.

The GP Suspension 25mm cartridge kit for the MV F3 uses dual speed velocity sensitive bottoming out system with a larger dampening body and long spring setup incorporating a semi-floating spring buffer to provide consistent damping all the way through its stroke, even during heavy trail braking.

From a service aspect, all GP Suspension cartridge kits have the ability to rapidly change fork springs and set oil levels with the forks still on the bike - (meaning if a spring change is needed, it can be done on the pit wall in a matter of minutes)

Here we have the OEM system next to the new GP 25 mm system. That funny looking cylindrical piece of metal is used to remove the fork end caps.

#23 ·
This thread is fascinating. Can you take a stab at the projected final cash investment when finished?

#24 ·
Shocks shocks shocks....

In case some of you were wondering, We test fitted many different Ohlins TTX & Penske configurations before deciding on a custom built Penske 3 way with a valved VB piston design. I'll post pictures and more information on this process when the Penske is finished and installed.

#28 ·
Great thread Tom!

Do you guys know what the stock spring rate is by chance? I need a bit more spring for now and I can't seem to get any answers from MV or Marzocchi.

I too may be interested in this kit if the price is right. Any word on what this will retail for?

Thanks M8!

#30 ·
Great thread Tom!

Do you guys know what the stock spring rate is by chance? I need a bit more spring for now and I can't seem to get any answers from MV or Marzocchi.

I too may be interested in this kit if the price is right. Any word on what this will retail for?

Thanks M8!
I to am hi ghly interested in this kit. Maybe a ....I ship the forks they build them and ship them back ...kinda deal would be great.
Send a email to GP Suspension, I just did.:naughty:

#32 ·
I wonder what the cost with install is going to be for the GP racing kit. I have ordered the Mupo kit to try out and I am going to order the Gubellini kit to try as well unless this come in under $1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.