MV Agusta Forum banner

Removing Stick-On Carbon

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  theknurl 
#1 · (Edited)
The original owner did a carbon fiber peel-and-stick number on the steering head. I'd like to remove it but am afraid of damaging the original finish on the metal. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
I`m a fan of dental floss but others on the forum have their favorite techniques.

#4 ·
I would try heating the carbon product with a hair dryer or heat gun to heat up the adhesive. Once the adhesive is warm you may be able to pull the product away without damage. Excessive adhesive can be cleaned off with 3M Adhesive Cleaner. Good luck.

#7 ·
Noel, Noel, Noel...he said he wanted to be gentle with her.....

#10 ·
micwhitt...also remember to have patience and go slowly. The adhesive is designed to stick to the carbon and should release from the aluminum. You will get a feel for pace, but, once you have a free edge, lift that edge while applying heated air to the underside...wear gloves...and lift while watching the glue release. There is a balance here that will make cleanup easier.

#11 · (Edited)
The wife's hair dryer worked nicely. Going to follow up after it cools down with some bug and tar remover; that should get the last bit of the glue off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.