MV Agusta Forum banner

Raising the handlebars, any suggestions?

8K views 56 replies 13 participants last post by  Rommeld 
#1 ·
I am having problems with the very low steering wheel om my F4 1000 from 2006. From Noel I got the following website:
http://www.cyclecat.com/index.php/bar-mounting-systems
but they do not have standard solutions for my bike :(

Anyone else nows another way for raising my handle bars?:stir:

#38 ·
Ok, I just tested, but the vision of my helmet is no problem.

But examining my bike properly I did see 2 possibilities to raise the bars:
- Option 1: the fork legs have still some "meat" above the steering stam, so I could raise the steering stam such that the fork legs are a bit lower (max possible would be maybe 4-6 mm).
- Option 2: Then the option of Trickydicky with swapping the left and right handle bar and flipping them 180 degrees, this would gain me 4 mm.

What do you guys think of the first option?

And why do I hear everywhere that doing option 2 that the handling of the bike changes?

#41 · (Edited)
Ok, I just tested, but the vision of my helmet is no problem.

But examining my bike properly I did see 2 possibilities to raise the bars:
- Option 1: the fork legs have still some "meat" above the steering stam, so I could raise the steering stam such that the fork legs are a bit lower (max possible would be maybe 4-6 mm).
- Option 2: Then the option of Trickydicky with swapping the left and right handle bar and flipping them 180 degrees, this would gain me 4 mm.

What do you guys think of the first option?

And why do I hear everywhere that doing option 2 that the handling of the bike changes?
Both are really bad options.:thewife:

Option 1 will raise your front ride height and if you don't lift the back at least an equal amount, the bike will handle very different to what you're used to.

Option 2 is something that I have thought of as quite a good idea in the past, that was until I recently saw this first hand on another F4, and rode the bike for a while.

Now I think it's a terrible idea and it will hurt your wrist's even more, never mind looking weird, your levers and master cylinders will bump against your fairings etc...

You keep mentioning "raise the bars", surely you guys mean "changing the angle" of the bars? How much can you actually raise the bars without chopping the fairing like this guy has done :jsm: , and then I won't talk to you again :) .

Attachments

#39 ·
Option 1 would change steering geometry.

#50 ·
As others will note.
With any clip on bars that raise the angle on MVs you must pay attention to the interference on fairing to master cyls.
Mine are close, but tolerable.
Most hand/arm strain issues are from riding technique/style.
The more I worked at my technique the better and more comfortable the bike became.

Cheers, Ed :)

#51 ·
Thanks Ed for the thoughts.

Lets see how they fit when I pick them up next week. Should be sweeeet :)

Have planned already to do either:
- A tour through Scotland
- A tour through Ireland
upcoming June, so the bike should ride sweet for that trip :p

#52 ·
Ok, after a long time I have managed to buy and install the adjustable handlebars.

Now the limitation that I have to raise the bars higher is the fact that the on the right steeringbar the metal tubes which host the cables for giving gass are hitting the windscreen (so earlier hitting the windscreen than the oilreservoir). But moving the assemble its part of is not possible as its "locked" with the lockpins into the handlebar.

Any tips on adjusting them such that I will be able to raise the handlebars more?

#53 ·
The throttle housing is the only part that needs the locking pins. You will always have this problem on the F4 as there is very little room to play with as i said to you from the start.
Have you allready drilled all the holes for the braje and the switches/
What I do for other guys is simply removing the pins for the front brake and the switches, so I can rotate them to suit. Then I find the best place for the throttle and cables before I drill the holes for it.

#54 ·
These bars come with the pre-drilled holes which are at the same spot as the orginal one. Indeed an idea would be to drill new holes and rotate it this way. Thanks Donsy.

Just to keep my options and mind open, any other people ideas (besides adjusting the windscreen which I dont really want).

#56 ·
I think you need to buy another bike with a more comfortable/different riding position. It's really ok to own more than one motorcycle, if you don't already . You might be trying to make this F4 into something it's not . The leaning forward position isn't for everyone.

#57 ·
I had a Fireblade from 1997 and sold that one half a year ago. I never give up and will for sure not give up on the most beautifull bike every made (and my dream since 2000). So extra tips are appreciated :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.