MV Agusta Forum banner

Food grade glycol

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  silentservice703 
#1 ·
I have 55 gal. of 100% food grade propylene glycol. It is new and unused. It contains corrosion inhibitors. Is there any reason I can not use it as a coolant if I dilute it to the proper consentration for my climate?
Thanks Mike

#2 ·
I have 55 gal. of 100% food grade propylene glycol. It is new and unused. It contains corrosion inhibitors. Is there any reason I can not use it as a coolant if I dilute it to the proper consentration for my climate?
Thanks Mike
Interesting mix of statements :wtf:

To answer your question though probably not but I don't know the proper concentrations myself - don't confuse it with ethylene glycol as they have different physical and thermodynamic properties (as well as chemical).

#3 ·
Yes...propolyne glycol is used in "environmentally" friendly auto antifreeze. 50/50 mix with deionized water will work. Won't kill the dogs if you leave a puddle. Offers decent cooling properties and won't freeze when temps get cold.

I have a gallon of Prestone's auto version. Thought it might be ok for track use, but turns out it is still slippery stuff and not allowed in track bike radiators.

So mix it up and enjoy your "green" coolant.

#4 ·
There are 3 main types of antifreeze. Ethylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol, and HOAT antifreeze. Nowadays EG isn't used or readly available in the larger UK outlets because of tightening of eviromental laws.

However, PG is fully biodegradable.

There have been issues with certain brands of PG and I remember reading somewhere that Honda and General motors had problems with the cars after using a certain brand of antifreeze.

I think it might have been Dexcool.

#5 ·
On the subject of FOOD GRADE antifreeze...check your pickle jars, your laxatives, your (insert ingestible here) many of them contain Propylene Glycol.:wtf::smoking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.