MV Agusta Forum banner

avoiding wellnut disasters....

71K views 303 replies 86 participants last post by  Mars312RR 
#1 · (Edited)
Avoiding wellnut disasters...

A moderator has deleted my post and put his bullshit in inplace of my post.......

This is wrong!

#2 ·
Thanks for the rivet nuts! If it werent for those, I would have had to make a trip to Pro Italia to buy those damn rubber ones again just to have them fail the next time I take out the injector covers.

guys, installation is very easy, just mix up some JB-Quick (5 minute version of JB Weld) and put a ring of JB around the rivet nut, insert into the airbox turning it as you push it in, like a screw. Once seated all the way, clean up the excess JB-Quick with q-tips coated with WD-40. I didnt even have to remove the air box to install these. I carefully removed the old wellnuts and went to work.

Took me less than 10 minutes to do all 4, and Ill never have to worry about those damn wellnuts again thanks to Noel!

If you live in the SoCal area, Ill be more than happy to help you do them. Just get the rivet nuts and some JB Quick and pm me for my number.

#3 · (Edited)
for you guys and gals wondering where to get rivet nuts.....

the easiest place is McMaster-Carr..
part # 94020A371..... M4x0.7 alloy rivet nuts, 25 in a pack $10.40....shipping was $4.25.....

thats enough to do 12 air boxes.....spread them around, I do!

while you're ordering things from McMaster-Carr get some O-rings too

part#9452k197....the big fuel pump plate ones...... 25/$7.48
part#9262K141....the quick disconnect ones.........100/$5.72

the fuel pump plate ones are ~$18 EACH at the dealership, hey tell your Ducati friends too....this way they are $0.30 plus shipping

buying all this stuff ....$27.85 is the same as going to the dealership for 1 big O-ring and 4 wellnuts!!!!!!! and you didn't have to go anywhere...LOL

and you end up with a life time supply

#4 ·
Thanks, Noel, for making me one of the lucky six! After todays test ride, I'll be doing the "Noel's Nuts" mod:jsm:! I also have some more tasty carbon to install and a locking black shining gas cap from Tamburinin Corse....

#5 · (Edited)
+100

I use them (rivnuts) on my Race airbox, they are a common tool in my trade ( Sparky ), I have even used them on my swing-arm to more securely attach the hugger and chain guard, always crimped in.

I would not recommend the epoxy method(sorry Noel) unless you know what you're doing. On the F4's, different models have different length trumpets, and this can cause the long rivnuts to knock against the trumpets, eventually dislodging them. Although they will not fall into the motor, you will probably loose that little cover in the wind.
So if you insist on doing the epoxy thing, make sure you shorten the rivnut enough to avoid this from happening.

Attachments

#294 ·
+100

I use them (rivnuts) on my Race airbox, they are a common tool in my trade ( Sparky ), I have even used them on my swing-arm to more securely attach the hugger and chain guard, always crimped in.

I would not recommend the epoxy method(sorry Noel) unless you know what you're doing. On the F4's, different models have different length trumpets, and this can cause the long rivnuts to knock against the trumpets, eventually dislodging them. Although they will not fall into the motor, you will probably loose that little cover in the wind.
So if you insist on doing the epoxy thing, make sure you shorten the rivnut enough to avoid this from happening.
So the little metal nut won't make it into the motor through the throttle bodies if they poke through? I just found 2 missing and have to rip everything back apart.

#8 ·
go to McMaster-Carr online, buy the parts, have them sent to me,
i'll send them to you, you'll owe me ~$4 postage

too easy and you get them for less than i do!.....no 10% sales tax

takes ~3-5 days

i go to the post office ~3 times a week and its only 20 meters from my Bank lol

i have a stack of mailers and customs forms at my desk

i don't mind helping you people out, i do the same thing on ApriliaForum.com

its payback!

Noel-theknurl

#12 · (Edited)
M4 like Noel said.

You will also need the tool required to crimp/compress the rivets, and the right size anvil etc.
See if you can get hold of a set which has it all.
Mine is a 'raaco' brand, made in England, got it from RS Components.
Raaco might just be the name of the box it came in :( , on the rivet containers it says AVK threaded inserts, might be worth checking it out.

#15 ·
Donsy, I wouldnt rivet the nuts in place, it might crack the airbox. Like Noel said, a bit of JB-Kwik or any other 5 minute epoxy works just fine.

#17 ·
Well I think its better to epoxy it into place so it doesnt suck any unfiltered air from these holes. And yes it will suck in unfiltered air because the holes on the back are not round, but oval in shape.

#21 ·
Donsy;
the rivnuts i'm talking about, are alloy and work with the stock screws my suggestion for using epoxy instead of crimping is it works and i want everyone to do this

every few will have the correct tool for crimping them.....i don't, not for metric threads anyway

Cheers

Noel-theknurl

#22 ·
Can you tighten the carbon panels ok with these rivnuts. I just feel the carbon will crack as you are tightening the carbon against the ally nut instead of the rubber well nut against the carbon ?

Cheers
Adam

Donsy;
the rivnuts i'm talking about, are alloy and work with the stock screws my suggestion for using epoxy instead of crimping is it works and i want everyone to do this

every few will have the correct tool for crimping them.....i don't, not for metric threads anyway

Cheers

Noel-theknurl

#25 ·
Ok guys, dumb question time. Please forgive me!

I haven't been able to work out which wellnuts on the bike these referred to are.

Because of the different tank and airbox designs between the F4 and the Brutale - is this supposed design flaw only apparent on the F4, and is the Brutale safe from wellnut disaster due to different placement?

#36 ·
The wellnuts in question are those pesky rubber things used to hold the injector covers onto your airbox. They are also used around the screen to hold that to the top fairing or cupola or whatever you want to call it. The trouble with the wellnuts is they can work loose and the threaded insert (on the inside of your airbox) can drop down the throttle body into the combustion chamber of one of the cylinders. If you can imagine the effect of dropping a ball bearing in through the spark plug hole of one of your bikes cylinders then replacing the spark plug and starting the motor, that might give you an idea what a wellnut insert could do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.