MV Agusta Forum banner

Engine cutting out

6K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  ruby 
#1 ·
Hi all.

04 Mv Brutale 750.

No this isnt another 'stalling' issue. This is different. I THINK

Ok, quick back story..
Had a severe miss, and alternator issues.. The miss was traced to the fuel system.
The alternator issue is that the ECU isnt sending the 'charge' signal. 'solved' this, by feeding the sense wire battery voltage (same thing the ECU does) directly.

All was good. reved fine in the driveway, alternator is charging like it should. everything was working.

Took it for a ride and all was perfect.. then as i slowed down to stop at the lights, it stalled.. restarted and it was fine, then half way round the corner it stalled again as i changed into 2nd.
Had to push it all the way home.. About 600m in 34 degreeC heat..

From then on it would start, but will not rev past 2200 rpm. It sounds like a kill switch being pressed. starts and idles fine. It revs fine as long as you keep it under 2200.

But as soon as you touch 2200, down she goes.

I have used Adams MIAW software to log whats happening, and at 2200, everything drops to 0. I can post a log if anyone wants a look.

Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

See less See more
#30 ·
Seeing as I can't start my own thread, I'll respond here with my story and fix:

Riding to work one morning and my Brutale died at a set of traffic lights. Got her home and after confirming the SPU and ECU were fine, I proceeded to remove the fuel tank and test the connections. Pump was receiving power, and connecting a battery to the pump connector did not prime it. After unplugging the fuel pump and getting it working direct from the battery, it was apparent the loom for the pump running thru the fuel pump housing was faulty.
Opened her up, removed the loom section and found this:

Cut into the housing and found it had corroded the wiring:

Gave it a clean up, resoldered the connections:

Tested the connections were working correctly, then covered it all with fuel resistant sealant, reassembled the bike and she started perfectly.
Thought I’d let you guys know, as the bike is 2004 with only 7,000kms on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.