MV Agusta Forum banner

trouble with start

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  rchase 
#1 ·
Gentleman,

After washing my bike last weekend, I was thinking to warm up my MY10 F4 this morning. I press the engine start, it crank but failed to start the engine. After that, suddendly the temperature gauges on tach is increasing while bike never start.

Then after several time tried, The bike was on, however the fan is running and temperature gauge never drop. Engine still cold but the fan is running and temperature gauges always at full gauges.

Can you advise what is wrong with my bike? What should I do? I hope something little like shortcircuit. No MV Agusta dealer in my country. (But there will be on early next year)

#3 ·
Sounds like your water temp sensor (or connection to it) is bad or may have water in it. Run some compressed air through the connection like Mitch said and/or spray with some water displacing aerosol. See if that works.

Finally if you have a good digital multimeter, check the resistance of the sensor. Extract from workshop manual below:

Attachments

#4 ·
Mitch,
Sean,

thank you for your reply.

I am not washed with compressed water. I also had checked all fuses, seems they are fine. Battery just replaced on June/July this year.

I will check that water temp sensor as appointed and run some compressed air on it.

#6 · (Edited)
MY10 Jakarta, they didn't mean compressed water but that would not help! Did you use compressed air to dry the bike? If not, then maybe water sits in some of the connectors. Spray electrical contact water displacer on all connectors. Also check voltage at battery terminals with a meter whilst connected and see what voltage drops to when then start button is pressed.....

Touch wood, I have never had a problem after washing and I don't use compressed air to dry, I run the bike for a while after washing till bike reaches temp and function check fans and all lights etc before shutting her off.

#5 ·
Disconnect the battery and switch on bike and press start button to drain all the power wait for a few mins then connect battery back see it helps
Use control wash next time Italian bikes are not water proof

#7 ·
A silicone based polish and microfiber cloths do a lot better of a job of cleaning and don't cause electrical issues or rust. Unless your bike has massive amounts of dirt or mud you don't have to use water. Using a cover as well is a great way to keep your machine free of dust and pollen.

#9 ·
Hmmm.....I have ridden my 910R in the rain, and washed it with a garden hose many times. No problems.
As many MVs as there are in the UK I would think water shouldn't be a problem, or none of them would ever run. My MV has high quality water proof electrical connectors of the same type as used on many other vehicles and boats.

All that said, you can still get water in places it shouldn't be....on any bike....not just MVs.

The temp gauge going up and fan running with cold engine tells me the temp sensor has failed on this bike.

#10 ·
It's really a question of how much you care about your bikes. While you can wet them occasionally it's the cumulative affect that eventually gets you in the end. If I were to get mine muddy or dirty to the point that I had to use water I would not have an issue rinsing it off. But it's not something I would want to do on a regular basis.

And it's not just the electronics that make me not want to wet my MV. The bearings and and finishes don't seem to be hugely water friendly. I once saw an F4 that was stored outside and regularly rained on. It was covered in a coating of light corrosion everywhere. It probably would have cleaned up with metal polish but it looked awful. Cleaning it up likely would have required a complete disassembly.

#13 ·
Except motorcycles are made of metal and don't shed dead skin cells and skin oil. :)

My bike is ridden regularly and cleaned with microfiber and silicone spray regularly and lives under a cover when it's not being ridden. I have never had the need to resort to water cleaning. It's actually a lot easier keeping a bike clean this way. Just a quick wipe down while letting the bike cool on the rear stand. When it's done cooling I stick the cover on.

Before I knew better I regularly "washed" my Harley and it took me at least an hour to dry the bike and get the water spots off the chrome. Now it takes me less than 15 minutes to completely clean the bike with silicone spray and a microfiber cloth.

#17 ·
That's what the silicone and microfiber is for. Silicone is a lubricant and the microfiber sucks up the scratchy bits so they can't harm the finish. If you used a standard cotton cloth and a cheapie spray detailer then you would hear the fingernails on the chalk board sound of your clear coat being attacked. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.