MV Agusta Forum banner

trouble?

1K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  guarda 
#1 ·
Just noticed the side cover loose and with a little tug, it came right out. The previous owner did the rivnut mod and I messaged him but would any of you know if there is supposed to be something behind this that might have fell into the intake? Thanks,
Red Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle

See less See more
#3 ·
About 2 minutes after riding away I heard what sounded like a small rock hitting something but I thought it was debris bouncing up into the bike. Bike is with me at work now and I've ridden it about 5 miles since last night. I am hoping for the best.

#4 · (Edited)
Wow - No good. Do not ride it !!! Do not start the engine. Do a search here on the forum , There are a few threads about this issue. You may have bent valve and or something even worst . In any case you will have to open up the engine. ( Ask Noel - the knurl , I'm sure he can give you further advice) I'm assuming it is the rear rivet that broke , one close to air intakes. If it is the front one it should be in the air box filter compartment and you should be able to fish it out. Air Filter will prevent it from falling it into the air intake. If in fact it is the rear one , it's bad !!!

#5 ·
I would say no, there is likely nothing what could have been dropped inside. But this all looks odd to me. Is the yellowish piece in between Your thumb and the fingers the epoxy ? It looks like the rivet nut is still at the bolt. So than You have every thing in Your hands I assume. In my honest opinion this rivet nuts should be installed with the proper plier. But than again the side cover got likely quite a bang at Your crash to rip t the epoxy out.

#8 ·
The "yellow" (really black) does seem like epoxy. Here's a better (still not so great). I'm praying it was only a small piece of epoxy that fell in there and maybe melted into an inconspicuous crevice of the engine. Bike was at about 210 F at the time. I'm reading the well nut disaster threads now but I'm thinking by now (about 7 miles and 10k rpms later) I won't find much by taking the airbox off. What do you guys think?

Ear

#9 ·
Guarda, the rivnut is intact. If the guy used epoxy to put the rivnut in place, which it seems, then there is nothing that would damage your engine in the airbox. I would still remove the airbox and clean out anything that might be in there...simply because I would!

#10 ·
I think that the previous owner put a gulp of epoxy around the rivet nut and pushed it from the outside into the hole of the air box. By doing so he shaved the epoxy around the rivet nut to the exact diameter of the hole and smushed the rest outside around the hole and between the collar of the rivet nut and the air box wall. Basically was the rivet nut so only glued to the outside, where it seam to have not bonded and so the rivet nut was never secure in the first place. If this makes sense to You than You can ride home, go to bed and have a sweet relaxed sleep. As I will do now.

#11 ·
Thanks so much for the help guys. I'm going to see if I can get the tank off with a friend this weekend. I have jb weld in my fishtank eqpt box so I'll redo it for the time being. I've read some of the wellnut disaster threads but why wouldn't we use a one-piece expanding anchor bolt instead? It just seems funny to have a threaded rivet go into an empty hole with some epoxy that will get very hot and brittle over time.

#13 ·
Hey Art,

I just PMed you back. Sad to see that pic of the bike down.

As others have mentioned, that's just the epoxy. There should be nothing metal on the inside so you should be fine. As others have done, I only applied light epoxy to secure the rivnut rather than actually crimping it down. There have been reports from others of the crimping pressure cracking the airbox, which I felt wasn't worth the risk.

Best of luck getting her cleaned up!

#14 ·
There you go, see, all that panic for nothing. Some guys epoxy the things in because they can't afford, or will not buy the crimping tool. Other won't crimp it because they are scared the airbox will crack, and in some cases I have found the airbox holes a bit big and had to go to a bigger size rivnut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.