MV Agusta Forum banner

Brutale Brake Issue, etc.

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  odonata 
#1 ·
Appreciate any thoughts on the fix for an odd brake issue. Every now and then I lose the rear brake. The pedal is dead, but comes back relatively fast. Feels like a loss of pressure. A little disconcerting and happens every once and awhile. Can't quite tell if there is a pattern to the failure. If there was a diagnosis floating around, it might make my service a little easier/shorter - rather than let my dealer try to figure it out. Also, while I'm seeking assistance, my trip odometer doesn't seem to work. Is there anything unusual about the use of the button. Maybe I'm not holding it down enough, etc Thanks for any thoughts

#3 ·
Thanks Gladio...I will be honest and note that the "easy" bleeding looks a little complicated to me. I will take it to the dealer. I have about 3,000 miles on the bike. I bought an '04 with 2,500 miles about 2 months ago when my local dealer priced it to move. It's now my favorite bike and I'm upgrading to the 910r. But I should get this fixed...when I let people ride it I always wonder if I should tell them they might lose the brakes!

#5 ·
Interesting...I didn't realize the problem was that bad. Seems like something that could and should be fixed. With our without a rear brake it's still the best bike I've ridden. Thanks again

#6 ·
I too have noticed the rear brake is very light in application comparatively to the front but considered MV had designed it this way for high speed use. I have found its effectiveness to improve significantly with speed. My bike has done over 17000 km. I am curious too as to whether MV meant the balance of brake effectiveness to be like it is or if it is in fact an oversight or a concern? :confused:

#7 ·
My F4 has the old style MC and reservior mounted near the brake pedal under the cowling. MV changed the reservior mounting point on later models and I know my 910 Brutale has the reservior mounted under the tank, away from some of the heat. The rear brake on my Brutale works fine so far, but has low miles.

#8 ·
Rear brake issues

Hi Folks, total newby to MV here but from looking at the siting of the rear brake cylinder and reservoir I may suggest that overheating of the fluid is to blame....has it discoloured any? if it has then it has been overheating, or has water in it,.......the solution as having had the same problem on an Aprilia RSVR clutch is to change fluid to DOT 5.1

#9 ·
Brian1100xx said:
Hi Folks, total newby to MV here but from looking at the siting of the rear brake cylinder and reservoir I may suggest that overheating of the fluid is to blame....has it discoloured any? if it has then it has been overheating, or has water in it,.......the solution as having had the same problem on an Aprilia RSVR clutch is to change fluid to DOT 5.1
I agree, fluid change should fix it. Will it require frequent changes even with DOT 5.1? I don't know and don't care too much. :) :loser:

#11 ·
MVorBMW said:
I will be honest and note that the "easy" bleeding looks a little complicated to me.
Sorry,

I tried to write it for an audince that's never done it before. I hope I didn't overclutter or overcomplicate what is really an easy operation?

Let me know if you find things you think I should change/eliminate/edit but I tried to write something complete while still understandable...

#12 ·
My F4 has the old style MC and reservior mounted near the brake pedal under the cowling. MV changed the reservior mounting point on later models and I know my 910 Brutale has the reservior mounted under the tank, away from some of the heat. The rear brake on my Brutale works fine so far, but has low miles.
interesting...

Does anyone with the newer bikes have any of the rear brake issue being discussed here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.