MV Agusta Forum banner

MV F3 675 vs. Triumph Daytona 675R

33K views 87 replies 36 participants last post by  Steve Tissington 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry to be the bad guy but I doubt I am the only person wondering. Sadly since the F3 Serie Oro is over twice as expensive it is out of the question for me so I am anxiously awaiting a head to head comparison of the two 675s.

http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/12_F3.html
versus
http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/supersports/daytona/2012/daytona-675r

The only official magazine review I have found so far is for the Triumph (from a British site by the way): http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=47&i=24754 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxUqhMLgXFs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Please post any official magazine reviews as we anxiously await a head to head comparison in 2012.

#3 ·
#5 ·
Daytona 675R. Ohlins, quickshift, carbon fiber.

F3 - It delivers brands only.

I still prefer 675R design. For me F3 is not really that good in design. I prefer if it looks like F4 but with smaller engine like Ducati (1198 - 848). I only like F3 exhaust but as a habits it will be replaced with race pipe anyway.

#7 ·
Daytona 675R. Ohlins, quickshift, carbon fiber.

F3 - It delivers brands only.

I still prefer 675R design. For me F3 is not really that good in design. I prefer if it looks like F4 but with smaller engine like Ducati (1198 - 848). I only like F3 exhaust but as a habits it will be replaced with race pipe anyway.
I understand the Triumph is a great bike but it is a little harsh to say the F3 has only a 'MV' logo on the tank, and even so what a great Brand.
The F4 was a mind blowing bike when released in '99 and can still hold it's head up now. Why would the F3 be any less? MV has had the F4 to draw on and as I said the Triumph to target. I expect the F3 to be another benchmark for the motorcycling industry.

Anyhow Donsy has posted a new thread on the F3,
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?p=491994#post491994
More powerfull, lighter & more advanced electronic's or so they say.:stickpoke

#9 ·
Yeah

What makes it a better package? Have you seen a test on the F3 anywhere ?
Or are you fooled by the carbon and quickshifter, added just to boost the sales of a allready Old bike. The Ohlins forks are dumped by race crews because of lack of travel, they go back to the old forks.
I just don't know how people can judge the two against each other when nobody has tested the F3 and very few people have actualy seen one in real life.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
I agree with Donsy, don't write off the F3 before it's even had a chance to prove it's self against the competition. As for the Oro being twice the money, it's a limited edition, the stock F3 will be far cheaper, £10k is the price I've heard quoted here in the UK.

#14 ·
Ducati ?

What test? Bike magazine? Race? If there is a thorough magazine test and race in a magazine, champion must be Honda or Ducati.

One thing is definite is Money and your feeling.
Are you even on the same planet mate, what has Ducati got to do with the F3 ? Do they have a bike in the 600 class that we on Earth do not know about ?:stickpoke

This post has been deleted
#18 · (Edited)
The are loads of videos on youtube now where MV have said that that have focused the majority of the testing against the Triumph Daytona and street tripple. I read in MCN that the MV is significantly better in all aspects, i assumed they meant the standard F3. I am new to MV but have always loved the way they look, always considered them the ferrari of Motorcycles that were beyond my reach, i'm not super wealthy but earn an ok living, the F3 has given me something to aspire too, something to dream about.

I placed my deposit back in November 2010, yes some might say i'm crazy but the F3 was the only bike that took my breath away, i knew no matter what i had to have it, i have been saving like crazy, sold many beloved toys and yes I am still waiting but i know it will be worth it.

To be completely honest i don't care how fast it is or how good it handles as i doubt i will ever get it to it's full potential, as long as it is fairly comfy for a sports bike, sounds good and is reliable I'm happy, I have read so much negative remarks about MV on here and equally so many passionate fond remarks, i will decide for myself if it has all been worth it, on looks alone i feel it will be.

One thing i have read many times too is they have tested this bike a lot, thousands and thousands of development miles over the last 2 years, testing testing testing, if they can't get it right after that no one
can, I'm sure it will be fine, i am sure every Triumph owner who see an F3 will be thinking i wish i was sat on that instead!

#19 ·
Quote "I still belief 675R is better with quickshifter and carbon."

Anyone can add a quickshifter and carbon fibre, the quickshifter is an option, hopefully MV wil release an
aray of carbon goodies too.

The point is it's an MV surely, the daddy of all bike brands, the marque of distinction. The F3 is lighter faster and way better looking.

No amount of ohlins forks and carbon bits will make the Triumph better or equal bike to an MV, don't get me wrong i'm not bashing the Daytona, it's an awsome bike but it isn't an MV and if you
did a survey of what bikers would want to own i believe MV would come top every time.

#23 ·
well this looks like a fun thread for me to crash!!! mwahahaha!!! :devilsmok

i dont think anyone has the right to say weather the F3 is better then the 675 unless any party had actually ridden either! (but im gonna bash it as im sticking up for the 675!) now i maybe a bit bias having owned my 675 for three years and riding MV's for only about a year and a half. i still say the 675 for now seems the better bike, that bike has so much sole and the fueling is amazing compared to the 750 and my bog standard RR. MV have alot of work i personally think if they are going to match it, okay, yeah...... buy a MicroTech ECU to make the ignition better but thats £1200+ to improve the MV in a way that is fresh out of the box standard mechanics for the 675! okay i can't moan much as i have never actually ridden a MV with one of these ECU's. but yeah i was really excited about the F3 coming out but with all the fart arsing around MV have done to even get one displayed at a show makes me loose faith. ALOT! i personally think MV are kinda relying on brand name to sell these bikes now.

i think the 675R is an amazing bit of kit for the money compared to the F3, not all racers are changing the front ohlin's forks as that means yokes need to be changed too as they are considerably bigger then standard, wheel spacers and so forth, ( alot of titting around if you ask me for racing!) i spent time helping a racing 675R team in France and both riders were getting on fine with those forks. also just to add a bit more, Moto journal magazine were testing on the same track while i was there and shared our garage, they were testing the 675R against the Duc 848 Evo and new Gixer 750..... do i even need to say which bike was lapping fastest with 3 different riders?

case closed :angel:

#25 ·
well this looks like a fun thread for me to crash!!! mwahahaha!!! :devilsmok

i dont think anyone has the right to say weather the F3 is better then the 675 unless any party had actually ridden either! (but im gonna bash it as im sticking up for the 675!) now i maybe a bit bias having owned my 675 for three years and riding MV's for only about a year and a half. i still say the 675 for now seems the better bike, that bike has so much sole and the fueling is amazing compared to the 750 and my bog standard RR. MV have alot of work i personally think if they are going to match it, okay, yeah...... buy a MicroTech ECU to make the ignition better but thats £1200+ to improve the MV in a way that is fresh out of the box standard mechanics for the 675! okay i can't moan much as i have never actually ridden a MV with one of these ECU's. but yeah i was really excited about the F3 coming out but with all the fart arsing around MV have done to even get one displayed at a show makes me loose faith. ALOT! i personally think MV are kinda relying on brand name to sell these bikes now.

i think the 675R is an amazing bit of kit for the money compared to the F3, not all racers are changing the front ohlin's forks as that means yokes need to be changed too as they are considerably bigger then standard, wheel spacers and so forth, ( alot of titting around if you ask me for racing!) i spent time helping a racing 675R team in France and both riders were getting on fine with those forks. also just to add a bit more, Moto journal magazine were testing on the same track while i was there and shared our garage, they were testing the 675R against the Duc 848 Evo and new Gixer 750..... do i even need to say which bike was lapping fastest with 3 different riders?

case closed :angel:
I don't think anybody even on this MV forum is knocking the Triumph and face it how could that be, it's a great motorcycle.
However I stand by what I've said earlier, I believe the F3 will be better.
1. MV have had Triumph to measure against.
2. Why would you have this advantage and release a bike that falls short?
3. Current press reports state that the F3 makes more power, lighter etc.

As for 'fart arsing around' .... well look at it like extended foreplay.
As for the 'brand name' .... well it is the best!

I know the wait is killing a few people ie MVista, but it will soon be over.:)

#28 ·
Kind of silly of some members to start dissing the F3 considering it is not even out yet. It will be very interesting to see for sure when the reviews are out on the F3 how it stacks up against the Triumph. I think the Triumph will be overtaken by the F3. However I am not 100% sure since MV were saying that the F3 was chucking out 140 hp on their test bed or something like that. I know its not all about horsepower but its more about keeping their word. Things will get even more muddled if an RR version of the F3 gets released...will that be more of a competitor to the R daytona and the regular F3 a competitor the the non R Daytona?

#33 · (Edited)
MV must be pretty damm certain the F3 is a better bike, otherwise they are in for a big fall after all the hype from them.

Opinions from my non MV mates are the bike is gorgeous, but, asked which they would choose at the same price between Triumph and MV and they all say Triumph?

But there are the MV diehards out there that will buy MV no matter how good or bad it is.
Steve Wood who you all love to hate had the choice between an RSV4 Factory/1199 Panigalle/F1000RR (and at that price every other sportsbike as well) even he admits the RR is lacking in all sorts of ways to the others and knows of one member here who has sold his RR after 3 months , yet Steve still has an RR sat in his hallway, I guess he's probably one of MV's most loyal customers (this is his 6th or 7th Brand new MV (I lost count)) now thats rose tinted glasses.

For me? I hope the MV is a great bike and comes out on top or level with the Triumph, only testing the two on the same day is going to tell:)

#38 ·
I think one of each is in order. I work at Nevada's Triumph and MV dealer and my biggest pleasure is performing the PDI's on what we sell. I have ridden all the MV flavors we sell and the Triumphs too! Sometimes "coming out on top" is splitting hairs and 99% of riders will never know the difference, let alone are capable to use. The 675R is a great bike, a real performer with balance. I can't wait to ride the MV triple, but am concerned that it will make me another owner, that's how I ended up buying the Brutale. Sure the MV's have more issues than the Triumphs, but they sure are unique.
I think you have a custom Chris Reynolds who takes his Triumph Daytona all the way from Folsom, CA to get it serviced up there right? I didn't know you guys were an MV dealer as well!

#40 ·
:O the Daytona 675 is a beautiful bike! how can you say such a nasty thing!!! i would have mine in the house any day!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.