MV Agusta Forum banner

*Free* 16M Diagnostic software

166K views 361 replies 83 participants last post by  mun keat 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
16M Diagnostic software

We (myself and Esben) have been working on some diagnostic software for the 16M ecu if anyone is interested.
Esben has figured out alot of the ecu programming originally for his Ducati. The software was originally intended for use with a Moats emulator and some of my software to enable auto tuning of the original chip - but then I added the extras....
However - a new project is on it's way (stay tuned) so this is probably as far as it will get...

It will work on the F4 750/1000 & Brutale models using this ecu.

Looking at the screenshots, the Connect, Monitor, Log Data, Errors, and Actuators tabs are all available. ECU Mods require you to burn a new chip. I may leave out the EBS adjustment until I have fine tuned the lower rpm state. Problem is it's freezing over here unless anyone else can help ? The other tabs will only be available with a 'hacked' ecu.

On the Monitor tab, injection and advance components on the right side of the screen shot require the 'hacked' ecu. TPS is displayed in degrees, linear(0-255) or when the min/max is set it will show percentage.

The log data is saved to a .log file and can be viewed either in the software or loaded into a spreadsheet - it is not software dependent like the earlier VDST.

You will only need to purchase a couple of leads from ebay to use it
There are plenty to choose from - examples below for UK owners...

1: OBD2 409.1 KKL to USB - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m570&_nkw=obd2+409.1+usb
(find one that uses FTDI drivers)

2: Fiat adapter to OBD2 - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_npmv=3&_trksid=m570&_nkw=obd2+fiat+adapter
(Make sure it's the same connector style as the MV plug)

It might still needs a few tweaks and I guess those of you not using degrees C might want F but we'll see.

Please contact me for details

Cheers
Adam

Attachments

See less See more
#40 ·
Can I ask what cable you have?
The only issues I have heard of are with the cheaper blue ones.
There was some info somewhere about having to insulate the wires - I'll dig it out later
As for your ecu the software is only reading data so it won't damage anything.
Sounds like you still have a conflict somewhere
I'll speak to Esben - the guy that did the comms and see if we can resolve it

Cheers
Adam

#42 ·
Thanks for all the input....

New version 1.8 now uploaded with several changes.

Now includes 16m ecu error detection of processor, rom, ram, eeprom.
All the actuator tests are now available and working - much simplified layout.

Remember DO NOT connect the black lead from the OBDII connector if you have one, it uses the digital earth from the ECU.
The black OBDII connectors are much more stable.

Miko - need you to check your air pressure readout for me as per the pm I sent you..

Desmo - I'll get around to the offline log reads soon

Cheers
Adam

#43 ·
I have some images that may help you, but probably not all you need.

Unfortunately this weekend wasn't so happy for me and my Brutale, i was on the two days trip and in the middle of nowhere she just cut off during shifting between 2nd & 3rd, and now absolutely refuse to start.
As soon I get it in my garage it would be a first time to actualy "test" your software :smoking:

#44 · (Edited)
I have some images that may help you, but probably not all you need.

Unfortunately this weekend wasn't so happy for me and my Brutale, i was on the two days trip and in the middle of nowhere she just cut off during shifting between 2nd & 3rd, and now absolutely refuse to start.
As soon I get it in my garage it would be a first time to actualy "test" your software :smoking:
Hopefully it won't be much....lets see.:jsm:

Version 1.9 now allows offline reading of the logs so you no longer need the bike connected up.

Example log file:

Marco has sent a log file that he saved while testing the changes that one of those memjet modules makes.
It has a dial 1 - 10 that simply changes the intake air temp value, and from that, the ecu uses it's fuel / air temp - idle trim to alter the injection value.

The log was done at idle only, you can see the air temp change points and the effect it has on the injector value.

There is also a fuel / air temp - open throttle trim plus the same for the advance, so plenty to think about when the temps get really confused from the Memjet.:wtf:

Cheers
Adam

Attachments

#45 · (Edited)
Got all the cables and attempted to use the software today. Everything installed fine. (I do not have the serial emulator option as per what the sites the setup screen shows).

Upon turning on the ignition when told I heard a click and saw code at the bottom of the software window, however nothing ever changed nor did any additional tabs become available.

After a period of time I then even started the engine, still with negative results.

Ideas ?

#46 · (Edited)
Are you not using an FTDI obd2?
What cable and driver are you using.

Can you give me some more info on the code that is displayed.
Also at the very bottom of the screen there ae other numbers, what are these and do any of them change?
You may have to maximise the screen to see them.

Cheers
Adam

#47 · (Edited)
Yes, I am using the blue FTDI ODB2 cable and a FIAT adapter with the red clip to the positive terminal of the battery. Black clip is unhooked as per your advice.

Stupid question but I assume on the F4-1000 the diagnostic port is the three pin cable that is just in front of the ECU box ?

Running 1.91 miaw

The hex codes at the bottom of the program when turning the ignition is is: 0x55 0xB0 0x80 0x80 0x85.

The bottom will say Disconnected 6, then change to Connected 6, then back to Disconnected 6.

Obviously something is recognized when the ignition is turned on but nothing else happens. No extra tabs become available/visable.

I am running Windows Vista on this laptop (however also tried this on my other Windows XP as well as Windows 98SE laptop with the same results).

FTDI Driver version is 2.8.24.0 (4/10/12) as sown in the USB Serial Converter tab.
USB Serial COM Port version is the same as above.

Once the numbers are displayed, they do not change.

I tried some very old drivers that came with the cable as well which ended up with the same results as above.

#56 · (Edited)
Hi Awiner

I had the same problems. I also have the blue cables but ordered black ones on ebay.
In the meantime i found out that the problems can be:
- you have a laptop which is to "new" or running vista >
- try a laptop with windows XP
- when connection parameters have been set to the ones master Adam has mentioned and still dont make good connection then losen the red cable on the battery of the blue cable. Wait until the blue led-light goes out, disconnect usb cable to the laptop and start over again with connecting the red cable to the battery and usb side to the laptop. Don't forget to let the black (-) cable without connecting it to the battery.
- this last one helped on my bike. The Blue cable isnt necessarily a problem, you just have to reset the blue cable due to disconnecting it from the battery!

Software of Adam is great and getting better every time

Gr
Marco

Note: forgive me my English

#55 ·
Get v1.94 and run it up, try with no anti virus.
Make sure you run full screen so you can see the data boxes at the bottom.
If you get a new time out message, before you click ok, do a screen dump and send it to me.

This will show if the ecu is getting the reply or not.

Cheers
Adam

#58 ·
Actually there are 2 cables to be connected.
1 black cable which is plugged to the MV and there's also a red (+) and black (-) cable. This is the Fiat-cable. Only the little red cable must be connected to the battery. You can let the little black cable away from connecting to the battery.

Then there is the obd2 cable, which in my case is blue, and has an integrated blue led light which lights up when you connect this cable with the Fiat-cable (ofcourse if connected to the battery!)

The blue light has to stay on all the time. If not then there will be no connection to the software of Adam.

Gr
Marco

#61 · (Edited)
OK, I made some significant improvements in regards to this.

#1, on my blue cable the blue LED light DOES not come on unless I ground the black clip from the Fiat adapter.

#2, if I ground the black clip, the blue light comes on and all works well with the software on my Windows XP laptop. My Vista Laptop FAILED every time at some step so I will continue to use XP.

So..... What is going on here? Why must my particular adapter need to be grounded in order for the blue light to illuminate and the cable to work?

Pros / Cons ?

Maybe my Fiat adapter has a pin wired different ? Anyone know the pin to pin identifications ?

#62 ·
Adam, here's a print screen of trying to connect version 1.9.4 thru windows Vista.

Still no good connection, even when trying to change the Delay Time.

Today I received the black OBD2 cable. This one only lights up if I also connect the black (-) cable to the MV. Instead, using the blue cable there's no need for the black cable.

gr
Marco

Attachments

#63 ·
Hi guys.

I've got a feeling it's some sort of issue with the digital grounding.

I tried 30+ times, I got into the diagnostic screen twice, but within about 5-6 seconds it would 'time out'.

I only got in twice out of 30. If I connected the ground wire of the cable, I could get to the diagnostic Screen 4/4 times. But it wouldn't display anything.

I'm getting the same errors as the other guy in here that posted the error codes, but I'm also getting different ones, as well as sometimes getting a few **'s in the ecu ID sometimes, then others I will only get one.

The differing error codes is the last line is 80 not 85. I'm also getting 2 'C' errors on a second line. I didn't write them down, I'll try it all again tomorrow.

Oh, the trouble shooting that has been posted 'USB latency and time out' hasn't helped, though I had alot more success with 130ms then 100ms.

Is it possible that the program is expecting the ecu to keep broadcasting with no input from the program? Maybe the ecu is stopping talking as it thinks there is nothin to talk to? Just throwing another idea out there.

Just find it strange that sometimes I can get To the diagnostic screen but it still 'times out'

#64 ·
I've used 2 kinds of laptop. The older one with windows XP has no problems. It always connects the right way. Just ha to put the right parameters in the laptop thats all.

My Sony Vaio laptop runnimg on windows Vista sometimes connects for about 4 seconds. Never got it started the right way.

Yesterday finaly made a small ride on the Brutale after the modification:
- decat. First tried with an mv agusta corse eprom but was worse then the original eprom!! So put back the original one
- new valve rocker gasket (leaked a bit of oil in the corner)
- setting the "butterfly" (or whats the name?!) with a vacuo-meter
- adjusting the TPS to 1.7 as is mentioned in the manual for the 750s. Mine was standing on 1.3! I could read this out with the miaw-software of Adam
- adjusting the Memjet to value 6 out of 10. Using a co-meter and putting it om 3,8%

Ok, started the bike, rode it for about 6km. Than parked it to go to a friend. After 45min. started it again
without problems. First 2 km ride like a beauty but when i putted the thotle open changing gears from 2nd to 3rd it stalled and had to pull in the clutch to roll out and avoiding an accident!
After parking it it started 2 times but stalled quickly. It then turned over but didnt want to start anymore.
When a friend picked me up with a lorry and brought me home i tried to start it again and.... offcourse it started well. But after 40sec it slowly stalled again.

Seems that the bike after getting warm the ecu puts down the injection of fuel a bit. Like if the choke gone off. Maybe air/fuel ratio isnt good?!

I'll try to check again the TPS and disconnect the Memjet. In this case the only difference with the original bike is the decat.

Note:
Last year i allready changed:
- new fusebox. The original one died
- new fuel filter and hoses and clamps etc in the tank

Its a nice bike. But i am getting frustrated there's always something with the bike. I dont trust it anymore going for a nice ride.

#66 ·
Windows 7..........

I had a look through alot of info on compatibility of XP vs Vista vs Win7. There is so much difference to XP that I would have to re write the complete software to get it to run and I don't think there is any serial comport software that would work in the language it is written in. :wtf:

Anyhow, I tried running it in XP compatabilty mode without success. I then tried Windows XP Mode within Windows 7 Ultimate. It ran perfectly, engine on, all screens, I also tested it with a 2 minute log file - no problems at all.

Windows XP Mode is a virtual copy of Windows XP running within Windows 7

It is a free download but will only run on ultimate, professional or enterprise versions.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Once loaded up, install the ftdi driver, and connect the usb lead, then at the top of the screen there is a dropdown tab that says 'USB', you have to click this and click 'Attach' next to the serial-usb device.

I believe you can also run vurtual pc on Vista machines.

Now I have it running, I'll tidy it up and remove the extra delay options on the start up screen.

Cheers
Adam

#67 · (Edited)
Thanks for the update Adam :)

I've looked into the xp mode...
There is a way to hack win7 home so that the xp mode will work on the lower win7 systems such as home premium.

Look it up on YouTube.
"install xp mode on windows 7 home"
Should bring it up. Bit of stuffing around. And may be over the heads of some people though.

I'm going to do it to a spare laptop harddrive I have laying around. Hopefully it will work. I'll report back. May take me a few days to get the time though.

#69 ·
Any ideas as to why I NEED to have my black clip grounded in order to power the cable ? (See Above for description).
If you have to ground that wire it must mean your blue cable is not using the digital pin of the ecu connector to power the unit.

Do a continuity check from the ground wire on your cable to the digital ground of the fiat adapter, 2 cables plugged together but not plugged into the ecu.

If it is not connected at all then I guess it doesn't really matter.

If it is then you will be messing the signals up by connecting an analogue ground to the digital ground.

Cheers
Adam

#70 ·
Nice work! I posted a much more simplistic deal on speedzilla some time ago. Would love to check out your software PM inbound.

Would it be possible to set something up such that the ECU worked from the chip memory? Being able to use the Moates Ostrich for actual real time emulation would save a mega amount of time on the dyno. Also would be nice for us Ducati guys to do that too!:)

#71 ·
Nice work! I posted a much more simplistic deal on speedzilla some time ago. Would love to check out your software PM inbound.

Would it be possible to set something up such that the ECU worked from the chip memory? Being able to use the Moates Ostrich for actual real time emulation would save a mega amount of time on the dyno. Also would be nice for us Ducati guys to do that too!:)
Not sure what you mean when you say you posted a much more simplistic deal ???

You can use the Moates in the 16m ecu, just like any other ??

Cheers
Adam

#74 ·
Hi Adam

still haveing issue with this..

I installed xp sp3 on a spare harddrive i had, and after stuffing around getting all the laptop drivers running, i tried connecting to the bike again..

Im still getting the same code errors that i was before..

0x55 0xB0 0x80 0x80 0x85.
or
0x55 0xB0 0x80 0x80 0x80.

and some more, C ones that appear on the second line, sometimes only 2, sometimes 3. i forgot to write them down.

I tried changing the ECU timer, from 80-130 and same results.
Im not getting any ***** in the ECU ID box either.

I havent tried to change the latency, but I dont know if it will help as it didnt when i was trying to use Win7..

It DID take me quite a bit of stuffing around to get the FDTI drivers installed.. I finally got it working, but Im thinking it may be possible that there is something else needed for the communications to happen properly?

Im running the latest FTDI drivers. 2.24.08 or something.

Any ideas? I need this to work as I'm having issues with the bike and I'm hoping that this will tell me what's wrong.

Let me know if you need any other information from me.

#75 ·
Hi mate, the errors yoi have are not errors, they are connection codes.
You should get the first code line, then after replying, upu will get other 3 codes returned.

Win 7 will never work, unless you use XP within it as previosly mentioned.
I believe this is down to the 3rd party comport drivers for the programming language it is written in.
Try the usb latency settings, it has worked for some.

Failing that, I have some new software that works on XP, Vista, Win7, Linux.
It is written in a totaly different language - it is also freeware like miaw :)
I need to check this out over the w/e and speak to the original author but it sounds very promising.

Cheers
Adam

#78 ·
Thanks for the reply Adam.

I'm using xp now as like you said win 7 doesnt work. I will try the latency change and reply back with the result.

A win7 comparable program would be good as I have to keep swapping harddrives at the moment.
=====================================
tried this one:

I had the same problems. I also have the blue cables but ordered black ones on ebay.
In the meantime i found out that the problems can be:
- you have a laptop which is to "new" or running vista >
- try a laptop with windows XP
- when connection parameters have been set to the ones master Adam has mentioned and still dont make good connection then losen the red cable on the battery of the blue cable. Wait until the blue led-light goes out, disconnect usb cable to the laptop and start over again with connecting the red cable to the battery and usb side to the laptop. Don't forget to let the black (-) cable without connecting it to the battery.
- this last one helped on my bike. The Blue cable isnt necessarily a problem, you just have to reset the blue cable due to disconnecting it from the battery!

#77 ·
Update.

Tried all different latency settings, baud rates and I even changed con port numbers.

Same things over and over.
I get the first line of connection codes almost every time. But I don't always get a second line.
When I do I get
0xcc
Or
0x0f 0xcc
Or
0xaa
Or
0xaa 0xcc

It's very rare that I get all 3 codes. Then if I do I still don't get the ecu ID or a proper connection.

Only thin I can think of is that the reply isn't being read properly? Like its skipping lines or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.