MV Agusta Forum banner

Another day, another problem…

6K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Trepis_Toni 
#1 ·
Yesterday, Friday October 5, Molly was to have the factory alarm installed along with the latest map (#47)
The tech got the infamous, STOP ENGINE, 0 Voltage, error on the dash before he’d had a chance to do anything. Funny, instrument panel error codes was the one problem my bike had not displayed and THE one I was most afraid of getting, far from home. What better then to have it happen to the tech while at the dealership?

On direction from the MV Canada rep Molly will be staying at the dealership until all issues are resolved..

Hopefully the error code is just a bad connection or sensor. The tech will go through the entire wiring harness inspecting connections and sensors.

Map #46 will be reloaded. According to the MV rep, Map #47 is for the US market only. NOT TO BE USED ON CANADIAN F3’s! Even though they refused to do this when I begged them to during Molly’s first service. What changed, I dunno?

Other issues to be corrected at this time include, incorrect gear indicated and corroded fasteners. The MV rep will be at the shop on Tuesday to observe and I assume report the findings to Italy. He's also bringing the new fasteners.

See less See more
#11 ·
Sorry for being silent but have been watching forum & people's problems! Mine started as a got home with mine as I noticed a crack on the instrument screen , then looking closer it was missing bolts on the fairings & the dipstick had been over tightened & had snapped leaving half in the thread, whether from pdi or factory not sure! So I was told to ride it until 1st service then it would be put right! I've had all sorts of excuses for 12 weeks now but don't want to pick it up until everything's right with it ? But it's really messed up my biking summer! Thx for listening to rant & I'll keep you updated with progress . Have just had to send a recorded letter to motorcycle centre as not getting anywhere with them! Cheers rat1y

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#14 · (Edited)
Does anybody on here have the name and address/ email of the person responsible for customer care at Varese in Italy.
My neighbour is Italian and fluent in English/ Italian so maybe it would help to communicate directly with the factory and see what happens ?

If you give the importer 14 days, all that will result is another 14 days without your bike. I lost the use of my first bike for 9 months then 3 months consecutively..The electrical problem ( caused by an alarm ) was not resolved and I ended up buying a different MV...

Ciao

#15 ·
... I lost the use of my first bike for 9 months then 3 months consecutively..The electrical problem ( caused by an alarm ) was not resolved and I ended up buying a different MV...Ciao
Joe, do you mean the installation of an alarm system caused an electrical fault that could not be resolved after 12 months? If so, was it an MV factory alarm? This does not sit well with me as my F3 is suppose to get her factory alarm installed today.

I was able to speak to the service manager yesterday, but just briefly as they were closing. He said that something had wiped out 1/2 the mapping. They were able to reload map #46 and he was waiting for the tech to return from his shake down ride before locking up. He is suppose to email me today with a detailed break down of what they found and how they corrected those problems.

#20 ·
Not at all Mike; I do believe that if you are the customer and you are paying a lot of cash for goods then these goods should be fit for purpose and indeed that is what you get a warranty for.

When you pay over the odds for a bike (MV in particular) then the service received should be first class. When people realise this is not the case and they constantly receive very poor service and equipment that is not fit for purpose they will eventually stop purchasing.

People new to MV, the ones now buying F3's and our friends accross the pond who have reciently been introduced to MV will eventually realise this. Its about time the price of the MV's de-valued as they are far over-valued at this moment in time.
What is the point of buying a brand new MV for a price between £10,000 & £18,000 when you can get a perfectly looked after one with extreamly low mileage for half the price and in some cases more than half the price.

Must admit the service I get with the merc is first class also.

#22 ·
Not at all Mike; I do believe that if you are the customer and you are paying a lot of cash for goods then these goods should be fit for purpose and indeed that is what you get a warranty for.

When you pay over the odds for a bike (MV in particular) then the service received should be first class. When people realise this is not the case and they constantly receive very poor service and equipment that is not fit for purpose they will eventually stop purchasing.

Must admit the service I get with the merc is first class also.

I agree with what you are saying, but, maybe the service we get from MV would be excepted as first class in Italy? :)

#21 ·
Yesterday morning I received the email I mentioned from the Service Manager (who by the way, monitors this forum). In it he stated that they successfully re-loaded map #46. After his shake down ride the tech reported that my bike was now running as it should. Yippee! :)
At the time the Service Manager sent the email, the tech had already started installing the alarm. I was unable to contact the shop until I got home last night. When I spoke to the Service Manager he had some bad news, the MV factory alarm was defective. It gave them fits as it would appear to be working one minute and then not the next. It got worse as they tried to set it up. He explained that this same thing happen to them when they went to install an alarm on an F4 312R. First alarm was defective, second one worked fine.
So tomorrow, Friday, October 12th they are to receive a second alarm and hopefully it'll be OK and the install will be a breeze.
On the good side, the F3 factory alarm installs under the key box so it should not be as hot as on the F4's. Also, all the connections are plug-n-play. There is no need to cut and splice the wiring harness.
On the bad side, should they not be able to get an alarm to work I'm screwed as far as fire, theft, vandalism insurance goes. I had one hell of a fight to get the company to accept the factory alarm as it's not on their "Approved" list. With MV clamping down on warrantees' I'd not like my chances should I have an aftermarket system installed and then have more electrical issues. Talk about your "Catch 22" situation, eh?

Having dealt with Ducati going back to the Cagiva days I thought I had a handle on the quirkiness of dealing with the Italians. I was further prepared for a long learning curve as Canada only just started selling MV's last year and as we know the F3 is a brand new model. Meaning? Very small dealer network and mechanics with no prior MV knowledge. Knowing this I was still hoping for a much better experience than what I have had so far. I do feel for the dealers as they seem to be caught in the middle in many cases.

I am being as patient as I can given my specific circumstances. I do believe that regardless of the price paid all customers have a rightful expectation of products or services not just meeting their needs but more importantly, being as advertised. Where a problem exists, it should be rectified quickly and without drama. I have a rather lengthy letter started chronicling my journey with MV Agusta I intend to forward to the MV Agusta Canada Rep. It's just that I keep having to rewrite and add stuff to it as more issues come up.

#23 ·
I am trying to keep a positive attitude but it’s getting more and more difficult. The second alarm didn’t work. The service manager actually wrote in today’s email that I may have to look at an aftermarket unit. I just got off the phone with him and learned that the gear indicator problem has not been corrected. Both it and the alarm issue are waiting on word from Italy.

#24 ·
Got up at regular time, 4:50 a.m. and hit the road about 5:50 to drive to Ottawa to pick up Molly. Four weeks they had her and I’m told they were successful in loading map #46B and got the factory alarm installed and functioning correctly after multiple attempts. Too bad the weather has turned. I probably won’t get to ride it now until next spring. :cry:
On the down side they have no fix as yet for the gear indicator not reading correctly. Also, the fastener kit is still not here. Plus, it’s just going to be the same hardware as on the bike now so it’ll corrode in short order. :banghead:
Hey on the totally unexpected front the tech waxed the body panels. So on the way home the rain / wet snow beaded up and rolled off. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.