MV Agusta Forum banner

Good Second Bike?

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Ballsy 
#1 ·
So I love Mv's but realize that it probably wouldn't be a practical first bike. I was thinking about starting on a CBR 250 for a couple years and move up to an F3 when I have sufficient funds and feel ready to move up. Do you think this would be a good idea? I always hear about people moving from 250s to 600s, and thought, "This is definitly the best looking 600 on the market.". What is your opinion?

#3 ·
MY GF started on a Ninja 250... but... that lasted about 2 months. While its HIGHLY recomended to do this as they're so easy to use, chances are it'll be short term.Chances are also that you'll crash it a few times (stop lights and other low speed OOPS)... so buy a CHEAP USED one... something already banged up that you don't mind banging up... you'll spend $2500 on it and sell it for the same amount later. Then get yourself a 600 class bike when you're ready.

Corran

#5 ·
Are you a gumby ?
Are you stupid ?
Do you have rubbish judgement ?

If you can honestly answer no to all of those buy the F3 - You will take better care of a bike you love. It will be enough bike to grow with you and while they can be insane the way they deliver their power is very controllable (so long as you can control yourself) ....

And think about all those moments when you casually mention its your first bike - like that's completely normal

#6 ·
It's not going to be my first bike, that is outright stupidity at its best. The insurance, repair, maintence, and overall lack of safety is waaaaaaay to much for a college kid. A 250 is much more practical and was wondering what would be a good upgrade and this was definitly my top choice. But I have a couple years until I can even get a bike LOL.

#7 ·
Then why ask this particular question now?

#9 ·
Isn't it though......and, it isn't alone.:conveyer:

#10 ·
I trained at a MSF class, got my license and jumped onto a 600 to practice not even for a year - few months.. the F3 is my first owned bike. I worked my a** off for this and its my dream bike. Not a lot of women my age can say that, and I still have a huge smile everytime I see it! Theres always going to be the "smart" way to start riding..some people have started as kids and worked their way up, others started at later ages. I had a spontaneous urge to learn to ride at 21 and felt this is something I've been needing in my life. I'm so happy and feel I have yet to master the art of riding, of course. It's obviously goin to take time, but the best thing to do is do your research and try sitting on each 250-300-600+ out there and you'll end up finding what's going to be the best match for you and your body to feel comfortable riding on. Honestly the kawi 600, and triumph 675 were going to be plan b if the F3 wasn't going to be mine for whatever reason. I'm very proud of my f3's performance and how me being a beginner rider can learn as I go with this machine. No matter what you choose, you're going to learn everything about it and feel more of a better rider as you actually go each time. One more thing, do not ride with any cockiness whatsoever lol, leave that sh** at home and get on it being humble and patient. I've had great support and I hope you will too! Be safe and goodluck !!!

#12 ·
MY GF started on a Ninja 250, then went to the CBR, a GSXR and finally the Daytona 675. The F3 was her dream bike before getting the Daytona, but after she test rode both, she preferred the Daytona even though the reach and height is more on the Daytona. She just didn't mesh with the gearing on the F3.

One thing people forget - a 600 class sportbike has the same power to weight ratio of a T5 Intercontinental Ballistic Missile. That's HARDLY the best thing to learn on. You "can", but its not wise. Invariably people crash when they learn -start on something that can;t get away from you and you don't mind dropping a few times... then move on to the "dream bike".

That's my take anyway...

Here are some pix of her - she's now been riding for exactly 12 months.... and she still swears that starting on the 250 was the best decision ever.

Corran

#11 ·
The new Kawasaki 300 Ninja has just been introduced to absolutely rave reviews in the US. That being said, lots of factors must be considered in your purchase.....price......usage......pillion....need, etc. What about buying a great second bike that's used? Half the bikes I own, I bought used.

#13 ·
Some will disagree with this suggestion as being too much power or too much money for a first bike, but you might look at a Ducati 696 it it fits your price range. Even though it has 80hp, the power from the little air-cooled twins comes on slow and progressively compared to a 600 four-cylinder. Throttle control is more linear, and they're geared high which minimizes the effect of throttle changes. Being a twin, you can lug them a bit more than a four cylinder, which helps keep you out of trouble by not having to keep it on the boil to get power. And the Duc 696 weighs only 355 lbs. And, it's Italian!

#15 ·
Hello,
I bought a new cbr 250 in March this year and outgrew it in three months,I have never ridden a bike before then and thought it would be a good way to learn(and it was).However I ordered my F3 in June,recieved it in October and now the poor cbr never gets touched.
What I am trying to say is that the 250 is a fantastic bike to learn on but it will only provide your motorcycle needs for a short time.The F3 is an incredibly amazing bike and if you are confident enough I would go straight for that.
I kept my F3 in rain mode for the first 500 kms and gradually stepped up from there.

Safe riding

GOODO

#16 ·
What I am trying to say is that the 250 is a fantastic bike to learn on but it will only provide your motorcycle needs for a short time.
This is the same experience most people seem to have. As soon as they get a month or two of riding experience and are comfortable on a 250, they go for a ride with friends and realize that they want something more.

It's about throttle control and riding within your abilities and conditions. And this never changes. Be safe!

#17 ·
Hello MV family
You can ride safe on an MV ,I am fortunate to have experience riders with me who are able to define my newly developed riding skills and the good/bad issues that come with it.I am 40 years old and have had my F3 since October.I still havent put the engine mapping into sports mode as I am still getting used to the power of normal mode.
Safe riding starts with your own mindset and I will experience a long future of growth with this awesome bike,everytime I ride I push my own limit by only a millimetre.BE SMART BE SAFE.
I am proud of my F3 and I dont give a shit about others riding faster than me,I have an MV AUGUSTA and they don,t.(I enjoy every minute with this bike).

Ride smart Ride safe

GOODO

#22 ·
Ballsy...are you out there?

#25 ·
Yes I am still here :naughty:. So a couple of you say just get the 675, but there is a couple of reasons I can't (yes CAN't, not won't).
1.) Insurance= 'Nuff said
2.) Cost of maintence= not attractive to a college student
3.) Bike cost= Much more than the CBR 250 $2,750 used price

I hope to one day get the F3, but I can't get do it for a while now. I have made my decision, thanks for all the help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.