MV Agusta Forum banner

What do you want changed/added to this site?

39K views 180 replies 84 participants last post by  Roehr@1250sc 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, usually towards the end of the year I start thinking of how I can make MVAgusta.net better through a revamp. Last year this included a recode from scratch since i wasn't too happy about how i coded 2 years prior. It also included an increase to the width of the site in order to accomodate the "new" layout (increased right column, more media).

I have already coded a new gallery system being used on the Mondo Communities (Ferrarispot, Photospot, Spacespot, and many more in the works). The gallery was coded from scratch, and implements a LOT of web 2.0 features which will assist all of you with uploading, managing, labeling, and searching photos. (tagging, etc, etc). Web 2.0 for those of you who don't know features a lot of technology assisting in user interfacing turning websites into "applications".

Another new features will be a registry system that was coded from scratch to also feature web 2.0 features. Both the gallery and registry system assists me with approving and managing submissions so you shouldn't be stuck in a queue any longer (currently i have a few steps per profile to approve and get them public).

Both the gallery system and registry system will convert all of your current data over so you shouldn't lose anything. IT's a giant task but i've been working on making this an easy transition for quite awhile already.

The forum will also be converted into the latest forum software (right now we're using the last version, kind of like windows xp is to vista). Some changes, but nothing drastic. I've already done a test conversion for all of the 3+ GB in the database to the latest version and recorded all the steps it takes to convert this site to the newest software. This of course will require me to recode the remainder of the site, but no problem.

Some other things off the top of my head:
- Streaming media videos from this site so you do not need to download. The new gallery also already supports uploading videos with auto conversion (mpg, wmv, avi, etc) to flash video for streaming.
- More documents to be released? Say it isn't so! :smoking:

So my question to all of you is: What would you like to see changed and added to the site? I will take all comments seriously, and very much appreciate anything you have to say. This site was built for the community to enjoy- and I hope to keep pushing this site to be the forefront of community technology.

This will take a lot of time but this is all about passion. Luckily I can code full time with the Mondo communities to support myself and create new architecture at the leading end of web development.

All support is appreciated on this endeavor!

Thanks for all the support!
Alvin

See less See more
#2 ·
Being a techo- philistine myself, I haven't got a clue what half of that stuff you have spoken about, does or is. But best of luck with the conversion Alvin. This is a most enjoyable site. Long may it continue. :)

#4 ·
The spell checker for quick reply. If you check out cycleforums.com you can see what I am talking about. I dont need it anymore as I switched to firefox, but seems a few more than myself would like it.

#11 ·
Already done in the new gallery.

What i hope to focus on are suggestions that have to do with the remainder of the site rather than the registry and gallery. :)

d-_-b Tamburini d-_-b said:
Can you make it possible so that we can switch which image we want to be the highlight of our album, or sub album?

#13 ·
Alvin,

I haven't got a clue about website design, but I do want you to know that your hard work and passion for this site has enlightened and enriched my life (and I'm sure I speak for many others). THANK YOU.

And thanks for taking the time to continue to improve the website! I am a 2 finger typer, and pretty "computer illiterate" .... but I seem to manage my way around this site pretty well. Not so with other sites. That says a lot about the way you have built this site.

#15 ·
G.Rand said:
Alvin,

I haven't got a clue about website design, but I do want you to know that your hard work and passion for this site has enlightened and enriched my life (and I'm sure I speak for many others). THANK YOU.

And thanks for taking the time to continue to improve the website! I am a 2 finger typer, and pretty "computer illiterate" .... but I seem to manage my way around this site pretty well. Not so with other sites. That says a lot about the way you have built this site.

#17 ·
Hey admin.
i did not notice if it was already done yet but how about on the map people who live in the same area will all be visible instead of being buried by the latest person to register.
If you cant think of how to do this i may have some suggestions.

#19 · (Edited)
admin said:
This has always been on my mind. It's just extremely hard for me to find questions and answers. However, maybe a collective community effort for submitting questions and answers would be a great thing to have (with search, tags, etc).
A couple of suggestions...

Perhaps a volunteer or volunteers to moderate the FAQ section or

allow members to submit or nominate ideas for the FAQ page, then have a "board" of two or three informed volunteers to review/edit prior to inclusion

Another couple of ideas ...

In general, review the number of hits/posts for each section and combine, delete modify as necessary. For example...

Consolidate the "Maintenance" and "Performance" sections

Consolidate the "Kitchen Sink" and "General Talk" sections or make the reason for differentiation clearer.

Move the "Other Classifieds" from "The Lounge" to the "For Sale/Wanted" section

I'd also suggest moving the "Racing" (as in pro racing discussion ) section to "General" and move the "On Track" section to "Performance" or at least to the Hands-On Area.

#20 ·
Alvin,
You have created a very user friendly and obviously succesful web site and commmunity here. Congratulations, and thank you. I have benefited tremendously from your work.
I have noticed that there never seems any activity with the chat room. Perhaps we, as a group, just aren't into that format. And yet sometimes the forum threads are almost what I would think a chat room would look like. I wonder if there would be any enhancement or accessibilty change that would bring the chat room into use more?

#21 ·
esq'z me said:
Alvin,
You have created a very user friendly and obviously succesful web site and commmunity here. Congratulations, and thank you. I have benefited tremendously from your work.
I have noticed that there never seems any activity with the chat room. Perhaps we, as a group, just aren't into that format. And yet sometimes the forum threads are almost what I would think a chat room would look like. I wonder if there would be any enhancement or accessibilty change that would bring the chat room into use more?
I don't know about the others, but I don't use the chatroom because if someone needs help, I'd rather they make a thread so that if someone has the same problem, they can see the solution. With the chatroom, if you give someone advice, only those who were actually present can see it and it isn't permanent like in a thread.

#22 ·
esq'z me said:
Alvin,
I guess we can arrange chat times or something, who knows. Then we can all blabber away. It worked well early on when watching races live, but since then not much use. If anyone has any bright ideas, i'm open to them

#23 ·
And can we have a Brutale smilie? here is the stoppie posted earlier by a forum member:

Attachments

#25 ·
esq'z me said:
Alvin,
I can't think of anything right now other than what has already been discussed about managing our galleries and streaming videos (both good points) but i'd like to second this comment!

:flash:

Richard.

#26 ·
All pretty good as it is, and credit to you Alvin, the maintenance section has sure helped me out a few times, even if I have to go way back searching.

and remember

(if it aint broke! why fix it?)

its like why re-design the F4 when I think its perfect as it is
(just my opinion) before getting slatted :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.