MV Agusta Forum banner

help req renewing steering stem bearings

11K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  gregpilot 
#1 ·
i have just removed the fork yokes from the headstock on my 312r as my steering was notchy - my suspicions were well founded as i have found that the bottom bearings are shot! looks like water ingress - do any of you guys have any tips on how to remove the bearing cups from the steering tube? also how do you remove the inner bearing from the bottom of the steering stem? done this job on a tz which aint so bad as you can get at the bearing cups in the headstock and drift them out - this is dosen't possible with the mv - having read the workshop manual i see no reference to what looks like a pig of a job.

#4 ·
inners from the stem.....
use a bearing separator or turn it upside down and heat it with a TIG torch it will just fall down
I use a cutoff wheel on my moto-tool to cut a slot in the inner race, about 3/4 through it, ***very carefully*** not going through too far and damaging the stem. Then you can take a metal chisel, place it in the notch made by the cutoff wheel, and give it a good whack. The inner race will crack and you're done!

#5 ·
+3

All three mentioned methods will work just fine, and I agree with you, go with taper bearings as a replacement.
Here's a part number if you need it, make sure you get the replacement dust covers also.

Attachments

#6 ·
thanks for that guys - first i need the tool to undo the large ring on the headstock - merc 07 is going to make one.
donsy - have i got the bearing number correct off your picture is it >> 32907-3 ? also what make is it? not sure if the number is the same for all bearing companies or if they use their own.
cheers colin

#9 ·
numbers?

Colin;
almost all bearing numbers are standardized size wise
most companies use the SKF coding system for seals too

any bearing supplier can find what you want.....

the internet is NOT the place to buy bearings.....
there is an International Bearing Manufacturers Association trying to stop counterfeit bearings....i wonder who the counterfeiters are????:stickpoke
its the Chinese

i get mine from Charlie.....we've been friends for 30 years......
he supplies all the off road teams, he was a trials bike importer and rider

#10 ·
Whaat - Thanks for that

Colin;
almost all bearing numbers are standardized size wise
most companies use the SKF coding system for seals too

any bearing supplier can find what you want.....

the internet is NOT the place to buy bearings.....
there is an International Bearing Manufacturers Association trying to stop counterfeit bearings....i wonder who the counterfeiters are????:stickpoke
its the Chinese

i get mine from Charlie.....we've been friends for 30 years......
he supplies all the off road teams, he was a trials bike importer and rider
I have bought from these guys before Noel and they seem to be on it, plus, how bad can a steering bearing get, not much going on in there.

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks Dons,

Next time I won't volunteer ;)

The worst part was taking out the 68mm hole, seemed to take forever !, now I know What Brian went through with your trumpets.

The billet fitted in the lathe but I forgot my mill is only 100mm wide!
I had to modify it to be able to run up to 110mm to get to the front and back of the block with the tool...I had no room to spare

However, not tried it yet, I hope it fits and the pins don't all sheer off !

Next is to make a new steering lock for myself, as in the pic a couple of posts up.
I need it wider on the right side to stop the brembo master brake master hitting the clocks -
Now that should be easier !

Cheers
Adam

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.