MV Agusta Forum banner

MV's rotary damper

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  laducsp 
#1 ·
Hi. I'd like to know everybody's opinion on MV's corse rotary damper, also called 'pista' by some. The reason I'm not going Ohlins is because it's way too large and is painted gold which just doesn't work with a black 1078. MV's offering looks nice but I've heard bad things about those such as them breaking. Don't really like the look of piston-type dampers so looking for a rotary type for riding rougher roads (front wheel going out of control on bumps and rails is annoying).

#2 ·
I believe it is a rebranded GPR damper. But I don't know if there are any other changes to it, nor have I used one.

HTH.

#3 ·
Hey Buck, choice is yours

...but I remember reading an article which quoted Claudio Castiglioni or Tamburini stating that they didn't believe in them and said the combination of Marzocchi and frame design/balance should negate any add-on damping requirements ....(or words to that effect :))

#4 ·
Hmm well I didn't know that. It handles exceptionally well that's for sure, and if the damper is going to interfere with that in any way then that'll be bad.
However they said that and then stuck their own damper onto a 1090? Why would they do that then.

#5 ·
Good question Buck, not entirely sure....

I'm sure the comments I refer too were made by Tamburini, (in reference to CC during an interview), I just can't find the bloody thing though ;-)

#8 ·
Didn't know about F4s either. Oh well! Seems like some damper is the way to go.
Piston dampers may work great but something in the way they look rubs me the wrong way.
While searching around for info about GPR dampers I came across a thread somewhere where people were pouring shit over each other because one guy said that GPR dampers were inherently better than Ohlins rotaries because Ohlins have to convert rotation into linear motion or whatever. It's a blessing we don't do this kind of pointless wars over here, really.

#11 ·
Tim;
F4s and Brutales have the same;
frames*
forks
swingarms
the Brutale side plates have cat mounts both sides, F4,a mount on 1 side
*the F4 has a damper sideways with frame mounts

on a Brutale there is more rider weight on the front wheel:yo:

i put a '10, 20mm longer swing arm on the F4 to put more weight on the front wheel.....if i find another i'll put it on the Brutale
i have 2 spare swing arms that i can make into one long one
i don't like light front ends.....

#14 ·
Hi guys.

Having done some searching I thought I'd revive this thread.

I've just had the rotary damper fitted to my 1078.

The reason I'm posting is I've found the damping has upset the way the bike handles at slow speeds.

Maybe I was expecting a little more damping but now the bike tracks all Over the road and it's like I'm a learner again!!

Is this normal for a bike fitted with a damper? I've tried adjusting it from 0 to 20 but I can't say I notice any difference...

Am I being stupid and is this to be expected? Under acceleration it's much much better, the front doesn't shake like it did, hence the reason I fitted the damper.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Tack

Also, I'm not sure if I'm set to 0 or 20 as there is no obvious mark to indicate the setting!!!

#16 ·
Your damper is wound in too tight for road use. Top centre is the set-point on the GPR I have, I imagine it would be the same on what you have, if you bought the MV version then you bought crap.
That aside, park the bike and wind the damper a few clicks at a time until you find the spot where the bars move the easiest, clock-wise goes harder from there on in.

#17 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I did get the Mv corse.. £580 so,I figured it would be good! Ouch!

For clarity it is the rebranded GPR direct from the factory.

Eddy, I ordered it when I purchased the bike so was committed before I joined the forum!! ;-)

I'll have another play with it tomorrow and see if I can reduce the damping.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.