Forum
Go Back   MVAgusta.net > Models > F3
Register FAQ Members List

Old 03-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #31
ondgas

No MVs in the Registry

Send a message via AIM to ondgas
Default educated

Traction control works with acceleration and a slipper clutch works with deceleration!!! Both work in harmony when paired together as they are on many higher end units.

A slipper clutch (also known as a slider clutch or back-torque limiter) is a specialized clutch developed for performance oriented motorcycles to mitigate the effects of engine braking when riders decelerate as they enter corners.
They are designed to partially disengage or "slip" when the rear wheel tries to drive the engine faster than it would run under its own power. The engine braking forces in conventional clutches will normally be transmitted back along the drive chain causing the rear wheel to hop, chatter or lose traction. This is especially noted on larger displacement four-stroke engines, which have greater engine braking than their two-stroke or smaller displacement counterparts. Slipper clutches eliminate this extra loading on the rear suspension giving riders a more predictable ride and minimize the risk of over-reving the engine during downshifts. Slipper clutches can also prevent a catastrophic rear wheel lockup in case of engine seizure or transmission failure. Generally, the amount of force needed to disengage the clutch is adjustable to suit the application.
Slipper clutches have been used in most high displacement four stroke racing motorcycles since the early 1980s. Slipper clutches were introduced in the 1970s by John Gregory and TC Christenson on "Hogslayer" the most successful drag racing motorcycle of the 1970s. Made of bronze sintered plates from an earthmover and a Rambler 2 speed transmission, the drivetrain let TC reach 180 mph in the quarter mile. Slipper clutches are used on many current sport bikes.
Slipper clutches have also been used to a lesser extent on automobiles, primarily those powered by motorcycle engines. They can also be found on racing remote control cars. Some experimental aircraft use a slipper clutch to protect the engine from shock in the event of a propeller strike. A slipper clutch for an automobile was patented with a French priority date of 1953 to J.Maurice ETAL [US patent 3072234.] The principle of this slipper clutch was exactly the same as found in modern motorcycles
One-way sprag clutches have also been used for the same purpose, but are generally not adjustable for disengagement force. Early Honda Shadow models used a design wherein a sprag clutch is connected to just half of the clutch friction plates, allowing the clutch to slip during heavy backloading sufficiently to prevent rear-wheel lockup, while still allowing moderate engine compression braking with the remaining friction plates.
ondgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #32
Cash_Dawg

Don't hold your breath on delivery promises guys.
When I ordered my 312RR the dealer told me it would be in my garage within 4 months. 18 months later I finally received it.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #33
ondgas

No MVs in the Registry

Send a message via AIM to ondgas

Damn. That gets a B0000000!!!!
ondgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:44 AM   #34
perfect

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

I can't help thinking April is looking very likely now, we must be getting close?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #35
matteblack

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Us Australian citizens might have to wait until mid-year, according to the little blurb in AMCN. Do I have the patience or should I just get a 2nd hand early model F4 750 with good km's & wait till MV iron out any problems?
I'm thinking I will help iron out any problems. Lust does that.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #36
tripletripletriple

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
Us Australian citizens might have to wait until mid-year, according to the little blurb in AMCN. Do I have the patience or should I just get a 2nd hand early model F4 750 with good km's & wait till MV iron out any problems?
I'm thinking I will help iron out any problems. Lust does that.
Wait it out..... or get both!
tripletripletriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #37
gotojoe

MV in the Registry:
[F4 1000 R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
I was about to call my dealer to ask why you ‘Mericans were getting your bikes two months before us poor Canucks. I figured that all the North American bikes would be built and shipped at the same time. I guess I was right ‘cause June has been the date I was given all along.

And please tell me you only use the term” Deals Gap” as code. There are so many better roads, less traveled / patrolled then the gap.

I have a little map I’ve been using since 1998 and it covers most of the best roads below Deals Gap.

Probably because the States thaws out 2 months before Canada
gotojoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #38
Zico511

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

My dealer told me he will get my F3 this week so I'll get it next or the week after because he has do deliver to my home (one way 400km). I hope so. ;-)
Zico511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #39
Stephen W.

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
Probably because the States thaws out 2 months before Canada
2013 675 MV F3 Red Molly
1998 900 SS FE silFEr

Stephen W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #40
Kirre

MV in the Registry:
[F3]

Just got a message from my dealer in Sweden,the bike leaves the factory on Friday!!!!
Kirre is offline   Reply With Quote