MV Agusta Forum banner

Raising the handlebars, any suggestions?

8K views 56 replies 13 participants last post by  Rommeld 
#1 ·
I am having problems with the very low steering wheel om my F4 1000 from 2006. From Noel I got the following website:
http://www.cyclecat.com/index.php/bar-mounting-systems
but they do not have standard solutions for my bike :(

Anyone else nows another way for raising my handle bars?:stir:

#3 ·
?

Jeffery;
i have the Cycle Cat bars on my F4, they came with the bike
some Ducatis come with the same 50mm Marzocchi forks i have.

my axial bottoms were changed for radials

if you want i'll take pictures and send them to you

Email Cycle Cat tell them what you have

#7 ·
Don't know if you want to go this route but take a look at Gilles "Vario Bars". I put them on the Greenie and they're the nuts. You can position them anywhere you want in all 3 axii. I had clearance problems and they solved it no sweat. Also terrific bling if you're into that. Big $$$ though, but then nothing's good enough for the bike, right? 'Sides beenie weenie ain't all that bad.

#9 · (Edited)
#10 · (Edited)
They ask 300 dollars for these... But you got the one from Ferracci or did you use old ducati ones?

I checked if I could turn around the standard handle bars, but I do not see how you should do it... Noel, you photos would be a help :)

@Lee: Where did you buy the Gilles "Vario Bars"? And how much clearance did you get? Can you post some pics?

And I really want to make this work. Have been in love with the F4 since 2000 and have it now for 1.5 years. Still love it to bits for its appearance, sound and factor that everybody is looking :) But I am getting a bit tired of getting pains in my neck and shoulders everytime I drive, and it is not my physical health. I already get it after 20 min. of driving. I used to have a Fireblade from 1997 and could do 1100km on a day without getting these pains.

Would be really great if I can find a suitable solution to get ride of this too agressive riding position for somebody of my posture (1.92 m high)

#11 ·
I got the bars from the Carbon Fiber guy in Florida. Can't remember the outfit name but his is Guido. Someone else?

It won't do you much good to send pictures as I put them on a bike I built, not an MV. But I will say that of all the options I tried they worked the best. By far. Not only do they have 3 axis adjustment (you can move the tip of the grip around in a 360 degree circle) but there are different risers available to set the height. If you can find out how to get in contact with Guido send him an email. I emailed Gilles Tooling direct with questions and they got right back to me with good answers.

Hope this helps.

#12 ·
The clamps I got are different than the ones pictured in the link I posted.
What I have is older but the concept is the same. The angle down is reduced which raises the ends of the bars up.
Bars with clamps are going to run some money and at $300.00 something that is not outrageous.

#15 ·
Rchase...you do know that the Arai Helmets have changeable interiors of varying thickness to provide a custom fit, right? I have had my Arai dealer supply the correct cheek pads and top liner to provide that snug fit on several Arai helmets...it's part of the deal.

#17 ·
Hey Trickydicky,

Thanks for the guide. I am still contemplating what to do to solve the problem. As a Dutch Man of course I am looking at the wallet, but I am even sometimes getting the feeling to sell the bike as its not so much fun riding for a while.

So...we have to crush those feelings and make this relationship work!

Reading from above, the turning the standard bars is a no-go.

So...the only solution would be to buy a different bar.

I got one reply of a shop:

Jeffery,

Thanks for your interest in Cycle Cat and our products. We do have the bar kit for the MV however you will have to change the brake and clutch master cylinders to Brembo units with remote reservoirs. I used the billet Brembo units but you can also use a set of used pumps from a Ducati 996 series or 1098/1198 series. It is a pain in the ass but It was worth it for me.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris Calovini
President
Cycle Cat Division
Calovini Industries LLC
614 800 0944
www.cyclecat.com

Of course I am not really keen on replacing components to make this fit. Anybody else a proposition for bars for which I can leave all the other parts?

One other that I found:
http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1106

Please help me to cut through this decision before it brakes up my passion!

#18 ·
#21 ·
Rommeld, if you don't mind sharing, what is the issue you are having? Wrist pressure? Neck pain?

#22 ·
Within say 30 km I already get pain in my shouders, neck and later also in my wrists. The big bad man is the agressive position and my 1.92m height :(

I used to ride a Fireblade from 1997 and never any problems. So thats the reason I am desperately trying to find a proper solution to adjust my posture such that I can enjoy the bike as much as all the other people on the forum.

#24 ·
Interesting as you and I are about the same height. I am 6'2" and 245 pounds (at the moment). I can ride my F4 312R all day...and some of those days have been 500 miles.

The head/neck/shoulder issue often is due to poor visibility out of a helmet's viewing area. If your helmet rides low on your forehead and the view port causes you to have to crane your neck to see, then you will have strain, and therefore pain, in those areas.

It's been beat to death elsewhere here, but helmet fit and function are a pretty big key player in rider comfort. I am an Arai fan due to my head shape, and their field of vision is pretty much second to none. Recently, however, I purchased a Nexx Helmet and it is very good. Lightest I've ever use as it is all Carbon Fiber and the field of vision, especially when leaned over on a sport bike, is great. Might I suggest you look at that aspect?

Wrist pain comes from loading, of course. Loading comes from positioning and being able to use core strength to support your upper body rather than resting it on your wrists. In order to use your thighs/legs to grip the tank and then use your core to support your body, you must have the rearsets adjusted so that you get maximum effect from your legs. Try moving your pegs down and back as far as possible and see if it helps.

There is very little that can be done for the grip position as the area to adjust is confined. Helping your body ergo dynamics so that there is less strain will help.

#25 ·
Interesting as you and I are about the same height. I am 6'2" and 245 pounds (at the moment). I can ride my ....
Thanks for the tips, I didnt thought of it, but I have had this helmet already on my Fireblade and didnt had any problems. The vision has also never bothered me, so not really convinced that is the problem.

Moving the footstands to the FRONT might help yes (so not to the back), but can you move the standard footstands or are you forced to by adjustable aftermarket sets?

#26 ·
The standard sets are movable. Adjustments are described in the manual.

#27 ·
As for the helmet, my belief is that the reach to the handlebars on the F4 is longer than the reach on the Fireblade. This would have the effect of lowering your head relative to the road and forcing you to "look up" more by tilting your neck and shoulders.

#28 ·
I can agree with that, but on the Blade I have also driven like a maniac in the past for hours 200 such that I had about the same level with my head as I have standard with the MV. The only pain I got was in the neck (and the shoulders due to the wind), so the pain is totally different now.

How can I test it if the problem would be the helmet?

#29 ·
Seat yourself on your bike in riding position, helmet on. In a comfortable position for your neck, does it block your forward view? Can you see far enough forward........

#31 ·
If you find that you are looking at the liner of the helmet (because it interferes with your line of sight), or craning your neck to get a good visual line forward, then you might consider trying different helmets.

#33 ·
I agree about the Helmet causing you to lift your head and thus causing neck ache. Think about it when riding the MV above 60 mph I dont have the problem.
You could prove it if you can find somewhere you can ride without a helmet potter about at 30 without a helmet and I bet you dont get neck ache

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.