MV Agusta Forum banner

rear stand question

8K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Andy8982 
#1 ·
I had my suspension adjusted to fit my Puny stature. Now my rear stand doesn't seem to work for me any more. Is there an easier stand I can use with this bike. My other bikes are all spooled and the pit bull stand works great. I'm so afraid to drop my Brutale 1078, but I need to clean and maintain my chain....discuss

#3 ·
stand?

June;
changing the suspension doesn't effect the use of the stand because you lift by the axle

i assume you mean the stock stand, a giant POS

look into a T-Rex with reversible handle, its cheaper than a Pit Bull and you can move the handle the reverse handle is nice so people don't trip over it

i have a T-Rex and a pair of F & G stands with a rear loop handles

all 3 have ball bearing spindles unlike the stock stand :drummer:

#4 ·
+100

I had my suspension adjusted to fit my Puny stature. Now my rear stand doesn't seem to work for me any more. Is there an easier stand I can use with this bike. My other bikes are all spooled and the pit bull stand works great. I'm so afraid to drop my Brutale 1078, but I need to clean and maintain my chain....discuss
June;
changing the suspension doesn't effect the use of the stand because you lift by the axle

i assume you mean the stock stand, a giant POS

look into a T-Rex with reversible handle, its cheaper than a Pit Bull and you can move the handle the reverse handle is nice so people don't trip over it

i have a T-Rex and a pair of F & G stands with a rear loop handles

all 3 have ball bearing spindles unlike the stock stand :drummer:
Now that is good service. :)

#5 ·
Thanks Noel and Donsy. I could get in on the stand before new spring and now I can't, so I assumed that was why, but it might just be me and my overall lack of strength and my fear and insecurity in my ability to hold the beast upright! If only they would levitate so I could clean/lube my chain. I've been rolling it forward and back like an idiot. I'm sure you guys would all get a kick out of my version of maintenance. I'll look into the T-Rex.
Thanks again!

#6 ·
stands?

June;
with a rear handle Pit Bull or a T-Rex in the rear position slide an extension handle inside the handle of the stand to increase your leverage:)

i know it gets tippy.....have some one stand on the right side of the bike when putting it on the stand or loop a SoftTie around a frame tube and use a tie down to tie it to a rafter or beam......pull it tight and the bike can't fall over:drummer:

#7 ·
I can just use Gary for all of that. I was hoping to just be able to it by myself without pestering him to come out and hold my bike.

#12 ·
Juney, check-out the Bursig, Available from Max-Moto, Emeryville Ca.
I know, It's expensive. But, It does the work of both Front and Rear Stand, rolls around on the AVAILABLE CASTORS, can't fall-off, and may be Easier for you to balance when fitting than a rear stand, because you'll be standing on the left side, in the center of the bike, when fitting.
Like Cag already Recommended.

I Love Mine!

#18 ·
I ordered the MotoMFG Paddock Stand. It's Bursig style but made in the USA. (Feeble attempt to support our economy I realize) but the real reason I wanted this one is that it comes apart and can lie flat. I have so many stands in my garage this one will take up less space.

I'll let everyone know how it works once it gets here.

#15 ·
stands vs lifts

OK, folks here we go......

1. the stock MV stand is a POS to use.....you can lube the chain and change the tire

2. T-Rex, Pit Bull and F&G have ball bearing spindles and wheels and are way easier to use than the stock POS....but, its still, you can lube the chain, change the tire and warm the motor up

3. step up to the side lift stands like Bursig.....
change both wheels, lube the chain, warm the motor up and put tire warmers on........great track stand:drummer:

4. lifts like Handy Lift, these are WORK lifts, NOT stands;
http://www.handy-lift.com/index.cfm...ID=2009&PName=S.A.M. 1000 Air Lift - IN STOCK

you change your oil on a #1, 2 or 3?

you're lying on the ground or on your knees, fuck that......changing an oil pan gasket will make you wise up:jsm::jsm:

you get a lift, and get a Fat Jack;
http://www.klsupply.com/JACKSANDSTANDS/JACKS/MC455FATJACK.aspx
and a dolly;
http://www.klsupply.com/JACKSANDSTANDS/JACKS/MC455FATJACK/MC464FATJACKDOLLY.aspx

or this attachment......
http://www.klsupply.com/SHOPLIFTEQUIPMENT/KLLIFTINGARMKITS.aspx

I park bikes on side stands, wash them on front and rear stands

and work on them on a lift......

i'm old not stupid:naughty:

#17 ·
OK, folks here we go......

1. the stock MV stand is a POS to use.....you can lube the chain and change the tire

2. T-Rex, Pit Bull and F&G have ball bearing spindles and wheels and are way easier to use than the stock POS....but, its still, you can lube the chain, change the tire and warm the motor up

3. step up to the side lift stands like Bursig.....
change both wheels, lube the chain, warm the motor up and put tire warmers on........great track stand:drummer:

4. lifts like Handy Lift, these are WORK lifts, NOT stands;
http://www.handy-lift.com/index.cfm...ID=2009&PName=S.A.M. 1000 Air Lift - IN STOCK

you change your oil on a #1, 2 or 3?

you're lying on the ground or on your knees, fuck that......changing an oil pan gasket will make you wise up:jsm::jsm:

you get a lift, and get a Fat Jack;
http://www.klsupply.com/JACKSANDSTANDS/JACKS/MC455FATJACK.aspx
and a dolly;
http://www.klsupply.com/JACKSANDSTANDS/JACKS/MC455FATJACK/MC464FATJACKDOLLY.aspx

or this attachment......
http://www.klsupply.com/SHOPLIFTEQUIPMENT/KLLIFTINGARMKITS.aspx

I park bikes on side stands, wash them on front and rear stands

and work on them on a lift......

i'm old not stupid:naughty:
So Noel, if you had to choose 1 stand, rear, side/bursig style, or a lift for all around general use and maintenance, which would it be?

#21 ·
Hi June, I bought a redline which came with all diff size adapter pins to locate it into the swing arm pivot bolts. Can get the front up with it as well with a little push. It is not too tough to operate. BUT, if I am just lubing the chain I bought for $20.00 (while waiting and waiting for the guys to send me my stand) a small roller dealy from Harbour freight that is made for mcycles and has two rollers. It sits about 2" tall max and is super easy to use, cheap and takes up no space. Plus, for added fun, flip it upside down and you have yourself a cool dolly for heavy stuff. Course it won't change direction.... PS seat is still bitchin!!!!

#22 ·
roller?

PS seat is still bitchin!!!!
Z, Glad to hear you're getting lots of enjoyment from the tall alacantra seat :) I hope you're riding plenty out there, I know I am.

What is this gadget from Harbor Freight? Can you send me a link? Gary's bike needs spools so that he could use my pit bull stands. Whoever serviced the bike stripped one side and you can't put a spool on it now, so this roller thing might do the trick.

#27 ·
Randy: Gary says he has "one word for you....."Yard Sale" " (I know that's 2 words, but that's what he said :)

Noel: you assume that I know wtf you're talking about. Helicoil? I'm surprised Rob isn't on this thread making sex toy commentary.
You should just come to Colorado for a few days and ride with us. Between Siobhan and I there's sure to be enough spare bikes kicking around for you to choose from.

#32 ·
?

i ride in shorts, caggles......all year long, down to ~50F,... lower on a bicycle

June; if i can get away, (my Mom is 98:stickpoke) i'd love to ride to Denver to ride with you, Siobhan and Gary

for Carl i'd even wear my MV Corse bottoms......just for the mountains though:stickpoke

changes to the bike?

tank bag and a tire patch kit......maybe a 40 tooth rear:stickpoke

guarantied my '70 safety orange rain suit will be strapped the the back:smoking:

Siobhan? she is my pal from the Aprilia Forum, last year #2 in Mountain Racing Assn Women's Div.

#33 ·
My MotoMFG Paddock stand has arrived and is operational. The instructions that came with the stand are poor so thanks to CAG and Alex at Gutsy performance I was able to get my stand to work on my Brutale. While it's better than the POS MV factory stand that came with my bike, I wouldn't make any great endorsements either. If I adjust the stand to get both wheels off the ground it's very difficult to align the pins in order to get the stand on to the bike initially. If I set it up to where it's easier to slide the stand in to position (and where it feels most stable, and easiest to lift) only the back wheel is fully off of the ground. I bought this stand over the Bursig for 2 reasons. 1. it's about $200 cheaper and 2. it comes apart with 2 long bolts so that if you need to put it away you can make it smaller.
My friend bought one for his track bike (07 GSXR) and isn't able to get his front wheel up either, so for simple track use with tire warmers he's going to stick to his pit bull stands. We're pretty sure this would be a great Duc stand, but doesn't transition well to our models. CAG really likes his.

The good news is that my chain is clean and lubed! I just have to get someone to hold my bike while I maneuver the stand in to the bike and secure it. I am then able to EASILY lift it in to position all by myself with the handle.
Here are 3 lousy pictures I took with my phone :) If you want any additional info PM me.

#34 ·
Ouch

My MotoMFG Paddock stand has arrived and is operational. The instructions that came with the stand are poor so thanks to CAG and Alex at Gutsy performance I was able to get my stand to work on my Brutale. While it's better than the POS MV factory stand that came with my bike, I wouldn't make any great endorsements either. If I adjust the stand to get both wheels off the ground it's very difficult to align the pins in order to get the stand on to the bike initially. If I set it up to where it's easier to slide the stand in to position (and where it feels most stable, and easiest to lift) only the back wheel is fully off of the ground. I bought this stand over the Bursig for 2 reasons. 1. it's about $200 cheaper and 2. it comes apart with 2 long bolts so that if you need to put it away you can make it smaller.
My friend bought one for his track bike (07 GSXR) and isn't able to get his front wheel up either, so for simple track use with tire warmers he's going to stick to his pit bull stands. We're pretty sure this would be a great Duc stand, but doesn't transition well to our models. CAG really likes his.

The good news is that my chain is clean and lubed! I just have to get someone to hold my bike while I maneuver the stand in to the bike and secure it. I am then able to EASILY lift it in to position all by myself with the handle.
Here are 3 lousy pictures I took with my phone :) If you want any additional info PM me.
Sorry to see your not quite happy with that June, I must say that by the looks of it, that stand is set up very wrong, for lack of better wording.
A friend of mine had the same problem with his Bursig, but we managed to get it sorted with a bit of fiddling. His problem was that he thought you could just wheel the stand onto the bike and then lift the bike, he did not realise you had to lift the stand into the locating pins.

#35 ·
wheel down?

June;
it looks like in picture #2 there is an adjustment threaded rod.....my bet is that if you tighten the threaded rod it will rotate the pins clockwise.....which will lift the front:drummer::drummer:

#36 ·
Noel: yes if you adjust the threaded rod you can get the bike more evenly off the ground. This adjustment however just makes it next to impossible to get the stand fitted to the bike in order to lift it. So while these pics are from the first attempt (set to spec) it is a bit more even now, but not much. The whole thing feels far more stable with the rear higher than the front.

Donsey: the stand in it's "very wrong" position as seen in the photo is set up is exactly to spec. with the threaded rod measurement at the "correct" length for the Brutale according to the manufacturer. When you call MotoMFG they tell you this is normal. You're right about having to lift the stand in to place. I think it might be easier if I'd paid the extra $110 and bought the casters vs. relying on it's feet that are adjustable. I simply have no need to move a bike while it's up on a stand, so I didn't buy them.

I'm not 'unhappy', as the bike is up and I'm able to do what I need to do without it falling over or falling on me. I am just painting a more realistic picture for anyone that is stand shopping as they make it look too easy on their web site IMO. It might be just that simple on the bike in the video, and while it's not difficult, I may have been suffering from unrealistic expectations. I thought I was just being an idiot and was missing something, but a friend who happens to be a motorcycle mechanic at a very busy dealership came over and made all of the same adjustments to it that I did the day before. Only to come to the same conclusions. Don't get me wrong, the stand works fine for me and my needs. Bursig and MotoMFG both market the stand as if you can just "wheel the stand on to the bike, and lift the bike"...this is simply not the case.

#37 ·
Hi Juny, I understand exactly what your saying, on my Bursig Stand, with the Casters mounted, I need to lift the stand about an inch or so to line-up the pins at an angle that is beyond the range of available adjustment, at least for the MV. I believe my Casters do make using the stand easier, and lift the bike a little bit more than without them too. As much as I work on the bike , in my small Garage space, I wheel it around all the time doing 180"s and such to get bike where i want it. Another Advantage to the Castors for Major tear downs where the bike is in pieces for a couple of days or longer, is that it can still be pushed out of the way, for shop clean-up or whatever, until resuming the work on the bike.
That's my 2-cents............ Done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.