MV Agusta Forum banner

Fuel Line Fittings

17K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  Georgion2 
#1 · (Edited)
Do you recomend to change the fuel line fittings imediately, just to avoid the risk :shitfan: ? As a mandatory fix right in the beginning when getting the bike?

James C, could you revise the new link from Omega web site, please.
They up-dated their site and I can't find the serial numbers you recomended in your http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/09/fuel-line-fittings.html?

P/N FT-LCD100-04 - Coupling Body or threaded part that fits into tank
P/N FT-LCD230-06 - Hose Barb or part that fits on hose
?????????unfortunately I can't find them......on the new site.

New link: http://www.omega.com/pptst/ftlc.html

If you recomend to change the fuel line fittings, I would very much appreciate if I may have the exact serial numbers of new part number to order the right thing, as I'm not very familiar with inch system and all these 1/4" numbers make me dizzy :crazyeyes

Thank you very much in advance!!!!

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I am pretty sure that the newer MVs(1000S and Sennas, not sure about Brutale 910s)fuel hoses have a hard/rigid inner lining that those metal fittings will not fit into, I am not sure what year they changed the hose, but the older models(750s) have normal rubber hose that is compatible with the metal fittings.

The best up grade might be to replace the hose with SS braided lines with new metal fittings?

#7 ·
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Odanata, is what you mean, that if I relpace the fittings I also shoud replace the line, in order to have everything 'on the same level'?
JamesC , do you have any comment about what Odanata said...that the newer models have already an up-grade, like Senna? Same with 910S? Thanks!!!

#8 ·
odonata said:
I am pretty sure that the newer MVs(1000S and Sennas, not sure about Brutale 910s)fuel hoses have a hard/rigid inner lining that those metal fittings will not fit into, I am not sure what year they changed the hose, but the older models(750s) have normal rubber hose that is compatible with the metal fittings.

The best up grade might be to replace the hose with SS braided lines with new metal fittings?
Not sure I would put metal braided hoses down there as there are an awfull lot of electrics under the fuel tank and the metal outer braid just might rub through something live :jsm:

#9 ·
northface said:
JamesC , do you have any comment about what Odanata said...that the newer models have already an up-grade, like Senna? Same with 910S? Thanks!!!
The F4 1000 has it according to altoon. I'm not sure about 910 (doubt it) but if so just buy a bit of fuel hose and replace what's on there with normal automotive hose of the same size.

#10 ·
both my f4 1000 S ('05 model), and odonata's Senna ('07?) have a special fuel line between the gas tank and the fuel injection rail input/output.

this fuel line is a two part construction. the inner core is made of a very stiff, fluoropolymer-based material. the outter tube is a softer rubber, with the trade name sunprene. the tube is made by a company called dayco.

this is what dayco has on their website:
http://www.dayco.ca/english/passenger2.asp?Page=ServiceHose&Page2=Injection

but that is not the same stuff that is used in the MV. the MV stuff does not have braided-reinforcement.

i have some great photos of this stuff, which i'll try to put up later.

i should also point out that the 1000cc bikes use a second fitting on the fuel injector rail. this fitting is made by John Guest, and i am trying to get a part number for that item now.

alex

#11 · (Edited)
Northface, as I mentioned I don't know for fact which kind of the fuel line the 910 have, but I would imagine your new bike would have the same fuel lines with the rigid inner core like my 07 Senna (and Altoon's 05 1000s)... if that's the case, the rigid core would make it nearly impossible to jam the new metal fittings into...

the issues with the fittings breaking I believe has to do with mostly improper handling of the gas tank when attempting to remove it, I don't think they break or fail by themselves so often/easily, it happens when one tries to remove a partially filled tank(heavy and ackward to handle) by themselves and couldn't also reach down under to properly disengage the fittings... the ideal way to remove the tank is to siphon out the fuel in the tank(with a pump or...with your mouth :naughty: ), and have one person carefully lift the empty tank slightly and another person carefully disengage the fittings without putting any pressure of pulling or yanking on the fuel line connections.

I believe as long as the handling of the lines and fittings are always done properly andgently, and that the o-ring on the fittings are kept in good condition, those lines and fittings should provide trouble free service for years.

#13 ·
odonata said:
Northface, as I mentioned I don't know for fact which kind of the fuel line the 910 have, but I would imagine your new bike would have the same fuel lines with the rigid inner core like my 07 Senna (and Altoon's 05 1000s)... if that's the case, the rigid core would make it nearly impossible to jam the new metal fittings into...

the issues with the fittings breaking I believe has to do with mostly improper handling of the gas tank when attempting to remove it, I don't think they break or fail by themselves so often/easily, it happens when one tries to remove a partially filled tank(heavy and ackward to handle) by themselves and couldn't also reach down under to properly disengage the fittings... the ideal way to remove the tank is to siphon out the fuel in the tank(with a pump or...with your mouth :naughty: ), and have one person carefully lift the empty tank slightly and another person carefully disengage the fittings without putting any pressure of pulling or yanking on the fuel line connections.

I believe as long as the handling of the lines and fittings are always done properly andgently, and that the o-ring on the fittings are kept in good condition, those lines and fittings should provide trouble free service for years.
Hi,

the service schedule says to change the fuel lines "At least evry three years"
Also a few people have had them break in the middle of no-where, James C was one.

As you say fitting them to later bikes with the hard fuel lines will not be too easy, you will need to change all of the line for some "normal" stuff and fit jubilee type clips to hold the fuel pipe on where the quick release couplings fit to the injection rail :)

#14 · (Edited)
I can confirm the metal fittings (FT-LCD230-06) do not fit on newer bikes. I destoryed one of the fuel lines on my 2006 910 Burtale trying to put it on. I eventually had to buy a standard 5/16 Fuel line to get it to work. The problem is the barb on the fuel rail is 5/16 but the barb on the fuel tank quick connect is 3/8. I was able to get the 3/8" barb on the fuel line but it's really tight. Does anyone know if I can get the fuel tank quick connects with a 5/16 barb instead of the 3/8 one?

#15 ·
dumbcomputers said:
I can confirm the metal fittings (FT-LCD230-06) do not fit on newer bikes. I destoryed one of the fuel lines on my 2006 910 Burtale trying to put it on. I eventually had to buy a standard 5/16 Fuel line to get it to work. The problem is the barb on the fuel rail is 5/16 but the barb on the fuel tank quick connect is 3/8. I was able to get the 3/8" barb on the fuel line but it's really tight. Does anyone know if I can get the fuel tank quick connects with a 5/16 barb instead of the 3/8 one?

Saliva helps get the line onto the barbs if you didn't already try that. It is thread woven ply but are you worried about it splitting? 910S/R has the same arrangement as the 1000 with the dual density line from tank to rail. A 5/16 or 7.9mm line from the local autoparts store is what I use and would use in your case. It's coming from the pump at 43.3psi IIRC so I'd rather tight than loose :) EDIT to ADD: That goodyear line is rated to 50psi btw...

There is no 5/16 LIKE part available, only straight rather than elbow:

http://www.omega.com/pptst/ftlc.html

I have a new faq in draft at the moment for the fuel filter and I also took a bunch of photos for the quick connects..planning to add some more information to that one. I still need some more photos to fully explain. Such a simple thing but complicated to detail step by step.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks James, the one I got from NAPA is rated at a working PSI of 90 which is 5/16 inside diameter.

I have found a company on the Internet that sells 3/8 to 5/16 line couplers and a 3/8 to 5/16 elbow reducer. The problem is that there is a minimum order of $50. They come in stainless steel or glass-filled nylon approved for automotive use. I probably will be ordering some after the Chrismas break. I think the elbow reducer might work really well on the Brutale using them near the fuel rails.

I made a homemade 5/16 to 3/8 reducer from brass plumbing but it looks like ASS and probably won't be using it.

http://www.eldonjames.com/html/ssconn2.html#ssredc
http://www.eldonjames.com/html/redcoup.html

#18 ·
Update: I ordered this part from McMaster and it works like a charm. Basically I made a 5/16" to 3/8" hose adaptor with it.

dumbcomputers said:
Ok I found a cheaper option:

http://www.mcmaster.com

Search for part number is 53055K135, from what I've been reading on the Internet PVDF "Kynar" is fuel safe.

#19 ·
@northface,

If I was you I would replace them, the costs are minor and you have a more robust solution.

However failing of the standard plastic fittings, I think is also due to how the tank is fitted on the bike and especially how the hoses are lined up, it is a tight fit. I can imagne if they are not lined up well to much pressure when the tank is fitted will stress the plastic fittings.

When removing the tanks you must be a bit carefull and handle carefull.

But the metal fittings are very nice to have and again they will not fail easily!

#21 ·
It strikes me that there's probably enough room under an MV tank for straight fittings, and that the 90 degree angle is probably what get stressed and breaks. Where it was needed before, on the Ducati 916 etc. because of the proximity to the top of the rear cylinder, it's not such a tight spot on the MV. So maybe straight fittings are an alternative, as they're still fiddely to connect whether plastic or metal, and the o-rings are easily damaged.

Si

#22 ·
Newer MV's use a hard plastic line cover with rubber fuel lines with a quick disconnect at the fuel rail. The quick disconnect on the fuel rail has a barb with 5/16" outer diameter. The metal fuel connects you purchased has a barb which is 3/8" outer diameter (stock plastic ones are exactly the same size). I was able to get a 5/16" I/D hose over the 3/8" barb but it was really tight and I was afraid it would rupture the line over time.

heno42666 said:
Ive recently purchased the FT-LCD230-06 from emoto,is this right , what dumbcomputors is saying that they are the wrong size,just want to confirm before taking off my tank then finding hassle under the tank ,thanks

#23 ·
At least on the Brutale straight fittings will not work. With the gas tank in place there is very little room under it.

TheCatWhisperer said:
It strikes me that there's probably enough room under an MV tank for straight fittings, and that the 90 degree angle is probably what get stressed and breaks. Where it was needed before, on the Ducati 916 etc. because of the proximity to the top of the rear cylinder, it's not such a tight spot on the MV. So maybe straight fittings are an alternative, as they're still fiddely to connect whether plastic or metal, and the o-rings are easily damaged.

Si

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.