MV Agusta Forum banner

Bonhams Auction ex-works MV Agusta 500

8K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  JSM 
#1 ·
#2 ·
What about Phil Read's own F4? How much did that go for?

#5 ·
Hi JSM,

That is one beautiful MV Agusta 750s America you have there, 002 as well, certainly an ever appreciating collectors bike.

Back in 1974 the MV Agusta 750s, model before yours was my dream machine but at 2,500 UK pounds then, was way out of my reach, looks like it would have been a good investment though if I could have found the cash, and 30 years of pure joy in owning it thrown in for good measure.

Couple of questions?

Do you know what ever happened to 001?

Do you know how many of 750s America circa 1975 were produced?

Cheers,
John

#6 ·
I don't know how many were produced from the factory but I recall reading somewhere that only about 50 were ever sold in the UK.

#7 ·
credge said:
Hi JSM,

That is one beautiful MV Agusta 750s America you have there, 002 as well, certainly an ever appreciating collectors bike.

Back in 1974 the MV Agusta 750s, model before yours was my dream machine but at 2,500 UK pounds then, was way out of my reach, looks like it would have been a good investment though if I could have found the cash, and 30 years of pure joy in owning it thrown in for good measure.

Couple of questions?

Do you know what ever happened to 001?

Do you know how many of 750s America circa 1975 were produced?

Cheers,
John
C,
dont know what happened to 001 but here are a couple of pics of it, was used as US press bike note different tank and side cover branding
:jsm:

Attachments

#9 ·
john said:
What about Phil Read's own F4? How much did that go for?
Hi John,

Found the following result on the Bonhams website for Phil Read's f4 750

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publ...Continent=EUR&screen=ResultsXML&iSaleNo=15320

Lot 562 The Property of Phil Read, MBE,2000 MV 750cc F4 £9,600

Others of interest from this auction:

Lot 561 1976 MV Agusta Monza £15,000

Lot 550 c.1978 MV Agusta 862cc Magni Racing Motorcycle £19,000

Lot 546 1958 MV Agusta 175cc £2,700

Lot 551 46 kilometres from new,c.1977 MV Agusta 750S America £30,000

No record of the ex works 500 though, so guess she didn't meet the reserve.

#11 ·
JSM said:
no details on the web site however a 1977 750 America with 46klms sold for 30,000.00 pounds :jsm: :jsm: :jsm: :jsm: :jsm: :jsm: :jsm: :jsm:
very happy about that as mine is 1975, frame 002 first production bike (001 was the protoype)
Hi JSM,

Very much appreciated Sir.

Looking through the Bike Museum's excellent MV resource pages:

http://www.thebikemuseum.com/master_view.php?id=12&MV Agusta&750 S America

Would appear the 750s America 75-77 was only produced in the following numbers:

Start Year: 1975
End Year: 1977
Number Made: 395 is highest engine number we know of.
Engine Number Range: 214-001- 214-395
Frame Number Range: 214-001- 214-395
Notes: Sold in Europe as 800 S Super America. Last factory MV although some unsold examples converted to 850ss spec by the factory and others.

Get's me to thinking how many of the 395 are still with us, and in what condition, spec they are in today?

I would say the age, production run, makes your 002 almost priceless to MV enthusiasts, maybe MV will make you an offer one day to get her back.

JSM could you give us your story of where you acquired 002, and how she has behaved since you acquired her? Would love to see more pictures and the story associated to 002 from your perspective.

Cheers.

#12 ·
C,
many thanks for the info on Americas produced, history of my bike is:
Purchased new in 1976 from Fitzgerald Cycle Manchester NH (it had been sitting in there showroom for some time) by Dana Narkunas.
Dana sold the bike in 1980 to the great :jsm: Albert Bold (eq of the Kayes in the UK) Albert made some engine mods which have improved performance.
Albert sold it to John Giles (J Giles Band) who in turn sold it to Robert L Gett before Finally selling to Daniel Bretag in Australia.
I purchased the bike from Daniel (he has a Magni also).
attached is a pic when the bike was delivered still with the original pipes, i have since fitted the Magni system.
The bike runs beautifully and actually handles very well, quite quick steering and hides it weight :jsm: :jsm: :jsm: It does not need restoring which is also a positive.

Attachments

#13 ·
001 was sold at auction a few years ago in the States. Not sure of the price but it wasn't cheap. Think it was at a mid-America Auction

The 750 S America became the 850SS (which still had 750 S America badging) and Monza with two being labeled Boxer until Ferrari claimed privledge to the name.

Quite a few engines ended up as Magni MVs although I'm not sure if they came from existing bikes or were engines bought from MV pre shutting shop.

Don't think there is an acurate record of numbers of bikes or engines produced, partly because of the decline of MV and partly because with the poor sales of the America the engines were increased in capacity.

books covering MV fours:
MV Agusta performance porfolio 1967-80 (a collection of magazine articles)
MV Agusta:all production road and racing motorcycles Mick Walker (out of print)
MV Agusta fours by Mick Walker

#15 ·
JSM,

Thanks so much for the info/history on 002, truly historic past and diverse owners John Giles for one.

I love her with the chrome pipes, I know the Magni system looks great to, but for me the chrome gives a little extra.

The standard exhaust on later 75-77 models was hideous in my opinion, can you recall those two pipes that seemed to be pressed together as out of a jelly mold?

Amway JSM please post more pics for an old timer like me, brings back those days when your nose was pressed against the dealers window in the mid 70s looking at the MV 750S America, then getting on your Yamaha FS1E and thinking you were Phil Read.

Cheers

#17 ·
credge said:
JSM,

Thanks so much for the info/history on 002, truly historic past and diverse owners John Giles for one.

I love her with the chrome pipes, I know the Magni system looks great to, but for me the chrome gives a little extra.

The standard exhaust on later 75-77 models was hideous in my opinion, can you recall those two pipes that seemed to be pressed together as out of a jelly mold?

Amway JSM please post more pics for an old timer like me, brings back those days when your nose was pressed against the dealers window in the mid 70s looking at the MV 750S America, then getting on your Yamaha FS1E and thinking you were Phil Read.

Cheers
Hi Credge (and everyone else!) Your enthusiasm mirrors mine in many ways. I too pressed my pauper's face to the glass - whilst saving hard to amass enough cash to buy a Puch VZ50!!

I'm a newbie to the site, having just found it whilst surfing the web. It's good to see there are others with a passion for old MVs.

Maybe you'd like to see mine? It's an early 750ss - and was supplied with the long tank and shorter seat straight from the factory. Carbs are larger than 750Sport too, being 27mm SS1s. Not much else I can tell you about it really, since I'm still finding out..!

Anyway, here she is. Full fairing is being prepared for a re-paint at the moment, so excuse her 'nakedness'.

#19 ·
Wonderful Bikes Boys ! I hope we will see us anywhere on this Planet with our Beauties. Some big events, I know and I will attend, for MV Agusta's of all ages is Cascina Costa July 6th - 8th and MV Agusta Club Deutschland September 21st - 23rd in Diedersdorf, close to Berlin.

#20 ·
750four said:
Hi Credge (and everyone else!) Your enthusiasm mirrors mine in many ways. I too pressed my pauper's face to the glass - whilst saving hard to amass enough cash to buy a Puch VZ50!!

I'm a newbie to the site, having just found it whilst surfing the web. It's good to see there are others with a passion for old MVs.

Maybe you'd like to see mine? It's an early 750ss - and was supplied with the long tank and shorter seat straight from the factory. Carbs are larger than 750Sport too, being 27mm SS1s. Not much else I can tell you about it really, since I'm still finding out..!

Anyway, here she is. Full fairing is being prepared for a re-paint at the moment, so excuse her 'nakedness'.

Hi 750four,

That is one beautiful 750s you have there, that is my all time dream machine, she looks great naked, despite her age. :)

This bike is a work of art, nothing came close to this in the 70s, and she holds her own even to-day, what a fantastic example of a truly remarkable MV.

Thank you so much for the pictures, brings back happy memories of a post TT meeting at Mallory Park 1975, saw one of these beauties in the car park, that was even better than seeing Phil Read on his MV four crush the opposition, the crowd at the hairpin loved Phil on his MV, seeing the 750S up close made for a great day.

Is she a UK registered bike?

Many Thanks

#21 ·
750four, I almost sure Your 750SS (Super Sport), longer Tank, shorter Seat, came originally with a fairing. You can compare Your Bike with the Photo's in Mick Walkers Book. However this is a gorgous Lady !

#22 · (Edited)
haupti said:
750four, I almost sure Your 750SS (Super Sport), longer Tank, shorter Seat, came originally with a fairing. You can compare Your Bike with the Photo's in Mick Walkers Book. However this is a gorgous Lady !
Haupti - Yes, indeed, she does have a full-fairing. It will be fitted just as soon as it's back from the spray shop. I've no photos of the bike with fairing fitted, but here's how she'll look:

I've not got the Mick Walker book, but aim to buy it soon - along with others. I've not had the bike long, so am still searching for info.

Credge - Yes, she is UK registered.
I too have yearned for an MV750 since my teens (..in fact I just about wore the print from a road test report on the 750s in Bike Magazine of September 1975!) I've also collected many re-prints over the years, and will buy any current classic-bike type magazines featuring 'old' MVs.
In the early eighties I saw a couple of 'America' models whilst at the TT races, but until I bought this bike, I'd never seen an early model 750 four on the road. (The intervening years have seen me riding Ducatis mainly).

I still own a Ducati (..and a H*nda, for my sins!), so the MV can be kept for 'best' and used only on sunny summer days. (If we ever get any..!)

#23 ·
750four said:
Haupti - Yes, indeed, she does have a full-fairing. It will be fitted just as soon as it's back from the spray shop. I've no photos of the bike with fairing fitted, but here's how she'll look:

I've not got the Mick Walker book, but aim to buy it soon - along with others. I've not had the bike long, so am still searching for info.

Credge - Yes, she is UK registered.
I too have yearned for an MV750 since my teens (..in fact I just about wore the print from a road test report on the 750s in Bike Magazine of September 1975!) I've also collected many re-prints over the years, and will buy any current classic-bike type magazines featuring 'old' MVs.
In the early eighties I saw a couple of 'America' models whilst at the TT races, but until I bought this bike, I'd never seen an early model 750 four on the road. (The intervening years have seen me riding Ducatis mainly).

I still own a Ducati (..and a H*nda, for my sins!), so the MV can be kept for 'best' and used only on sunny summer days. (If we ever get any..!)

Hi 750Four,

I can recall the very Bike magazine you mentioned extremely well, September 1975, mine too was a very well thumbed issue.
What a feeling it must be to live the dream of a teenager for real.

Back in the day, you just never saw a MV 750s anywhere, I was fortunate to get my only up close view of one at Mallory park as I said in 1975, never seen one in the flesh since that day, seen a couple of America's but the 750s is a shy lady and only comes out in good company.

These beauties were rare then, so now, well there number has to few and far between and as the command a very heavy price tag if one becomes available, so maybe I have to get the Bike Mag out again as its about as close as I think I come in many a day.

A good resource on MV's is the following and you might find this interesting.
http://www.thebikemuseum.com/master_view.php?id=13&MV Agusta&750 Sport Drum Brake

Thanks for the Pictures and memories.

#24 ·
750 four,
certainly an interesting version of the S, i have quite a few books on MV and the only bike i can find that looks similar but with a different paint scheme is the "Ago" version which you will find in Mick Walkers book; also; how does it run, handle etc (they could be very tempremental bikes :jsm: )

#25 ·
JSM said:
750 four,
certainly an interesting version of the S, i have quite a few books on MV and the only bike i can find that looks similar but with a different paint scheme is the "Ago" version which you will find in Mick Walkers book; also; how does it run, handle etc (they could be very tempremental bikes :jsm: )
Hi JSM

I've not got the book yet, but I'll be interested to see that one. I have seen the Daytona 750 model mentioned once or twice on different web sites, and it has a long tank/short seat too.

There's much controversy around these bikes, and some say they don't even exist - instead that they're all 'copies' of a one-off bike built for an Italian bike show. I'm no expert, so can't give a definitive answer. In truth, it hardly matters to me. As soon as i'm able, I'll be buying an original 'Sport' tank, and fitting that. Believe me, it's a long stretch to the 'bars!

However, this bike's UK Registration Document does state it is a 750SS - and so too does the Valuation letter received from the UK MV Agusta Owners' Club by the previous owner (the club knows the bike well, since it's been on their register for over thirty years).

I can't even say how it handles, as yet! Having owned it for only a week, I've been unable to take it for a good blast since it's not stopped raining the whole time. It's frustrating! The previous owner said it gave him no problems at all - but for the fact that the engine won't idle without the rider having to 'blip' the throttle the whole time (..which is no bad thing, given the sound it makes..!) This is the result of the larger carbs., I'm told.

I guess I'll know better what it's all about when I've had the chance to take it over some of my favourite roads. I'll post my riding impressions when I'm able.

Cheers

ps. That's a lovely looking 'America' you have.

#26 ·
Holy moly :jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm: I was googling some MV stuff and came across this:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf: how time flys..............and..............got me thinking about putting the original chrome pipes back on the beast................what does everyone think:jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.