MV Agusta Forum banner

Brutale 910S temp issues

9K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Donsy 
#1 ·
Hi, i've had my 2006 Brut for about a month and find that although I've had the major 12,000km service the bike runs hot around town and when stopped in traffic...and this is only the beginning of summer in Adelaide! When I turn off the motor with ignition key, the engine temp soars and coolant oodles out. So I switch off the motor using the kill switch, the temp soars and the fan kicks in. It cuts out around 94C, meanwhile the coolant reservoir overflow dribbles out coolant. I asked the MV dealer to lower the fan temp threshold to make it kick in at lower temp but was told can't be done with stock ECU/electronics. The worrying thing is that in the two weeks approx. 400km since the service I've lost so much coolant that the reservoir was way below minimum and exacerbating the problem. Hmmmm...

i've seen a suggestion in this forum to replace the stock plastic fan with a Muzzy aluminium one (http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=731) and also an MV Agusta F4/Brutale Water Pump Impeller Upgrade Kit (http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=826). Anybody have any tips for me installing these?

Lastly, what about using distilled water and additive water wetter? (Red Line Water Wetter Engine Super Coolant http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=792). The spiel says, "The best coolant you can use in your bike is distilled water. Add Water Wetter to further improve cooling up to 20 degrees. For some bikes like the MV Agusat F4-1000 that have severe over heating problems, use of this with Muzzy fans for better airflow is almost a must have mod for your bike during hot summer months." Says its compatible with antifreeze to improve the heat transfer of ethylene and propylene glycol systems.

I'm currently runnning a new batch of IPone Radiator Cooling Liquid that contains ethane (antifreeze/anticorrosion for aluminium/magnesium crankcases). Should I use the water wetter with this or should I dump it and put in only distilled water?

any ideas much appreciated, cheers, Claudio

See less See more
#2 ·
claudio
im up in Qld my 910 S runs about 95 -98 in traffic and on a run its normally about 85
i was advised bt local MV dealer to do the impeller up grade
as for the coolant / demin water.... i work in the specailty water industry i will ask about the demin as coolant as demin has no minerals or contaminates in it

#3 ·
col
we've had some hot days in mid 30s last week in Adelaide and the bike in traffic was up around 100-105. Once I get moving it's OK in 95-100 range but still feels awful hot especially around the legs (even wearing kevlar jeans). On open road and 80km/h+ it's fine with engine temps <90C.
I'll be interested to hear about the demin water...

it does sound like the the way to go is the Muzzy fan/impeller upgrade though

#4 ·
The purpose of replacing the plastic fans with the muzzy fans is so the plastic blades don't melt against the headers. This is not a problem on Brutales. If you want a more efficient fan, you need to use a completely different design.

Brutales are not know for over heating. F4s do because of inadequate air flow. This is not a problem with the Brutale. I would pressure check the cap on the overflow bottle before I spent time and money on products that won't make much difference.

#5 ·
Later Brutales have 2 fans....maybe CAG could hook you up with the 2 fan rad and parts. 50/50 ethylene glycol and distilled water is the best coolant for heat management. Much better than pure water even with water wetters etc. That's a fact. Racers use plain water with water wetter or other non-ethlyene additives because ethylene makes a race track slippery when spilled.

Remember, normal operating temps for most high performance motorcycle engines is around 200 F. All MVs will push out coolant if the system is overfilled. Proper coolant level when cold is at the minimum mark on the reservoir.

You are not overheating until the coolant reaches 235 F or higher.

#7 ·
Claudio;
do it the easy way PM Adam (merc07) and get a chip
it will have a real ignition map
better fuel map
the fans will come on sooner too

i bought a MicroTec M-226 for my '08 910R in the F/S Section
fans come on at 87C
the bike will NOT go over 91C period!
the coolant level is ~10mm over the tube and it doesn't piss a drop

it used to hit 103C at lights with an ambient of 21C

#8 · (Edited)
Noel,
that's interesting....can't say I've got my head around all the ECU programming stuff but was titillated when I read merc07's post on his free programming software http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37545. Since then I bought a MV AGUSTA BRUTALE 910 Eprom Chip Open IAW16 ECU. The spiel said "EPROM is designed to optimize engine performance at all points along the operating range.
The EPROM will change the entire feel of the motorcycle. 
From the smooth transitions off idle to the higher performance available at full-throttle, the entire driving experience is enhanced. Direct replacement for standard ECU chip, 
to be used with the aftermarket exhaust silencers or open silencers." Haven't put it in yet since I only have the stock exhaust system but curious to try it even with stock exhaust. Interested to know your take on it? cheers, Claudio

Attachments

#10 ·
Claudio
Dont be too concerned about temps. All performance motorcycles will use the smallest water cooling pump/radiator etc to minimize performance drains on the engine(Energy reqd to pump etc) and keep frontal area smaller. The temp u r seeing is perfectly normal from my experience. Remember u r seeing the water temp,not cylinder temp or oil temp etc. With coolant added the boiling point of the water becomes much greater so 100deg doesnt mean the water is boiling and the engine overheating. I've owned countless motorcycles where temps regularly sat over 100 at lights with no harm(Honda sp1 was the worst and I sold it with 60k on the clock with all performance still in-tact)
My Brutale 750 has the muzzy fan mod,upgraded impeller and motul coolant additive(like engine ice) and it still runs straight to 104deg at lights but never any higher. Fan usually cuts in at 100 or just under.
I dont have a chip and the bike is stock with 38k on it now and runs perfectly
By the way I'm in Sydney and we've had some 35deg days and the bike's temp behaviour hasnt really changed from a 21deg day to 35deg
Hope this ramble helps put your mind at ease a bit

#11 ·
Claudio,

When I first got my 910R, I took it on a long ride from Sydney to Coffs, in the middle of summer. On the way back home, it was incredibly hot and reached well over 40C. The bike was running in the low 90s. It went up to 108C as I stopped at the lights on exiting the freeway in Sydney. There was no damage whatsoever or change in performance.

Later, I had a Microtec 226 fitted as well as a decat Arrow exhaust. All documented in previous posts on this site. These days, the bike runs in the 70s and will reach the mid 80s in stop-start traffic. The fan is programmed to come in at 95C, which only very rarely happens, on very hot days if I'm at a standstill for too long with the engine running. In April this year I rode from Port Mac to Sydney with a leak in the water pump. The bike never heated up even though the coolant reservoir was nearly empty on arrival.

A long story to say that imho, barring leaks and damage to the reservoir/water pump/radiator, 1) the only worry about the heat is your own comfort level and 2) it can be fixed with mapping.

Cheers.

Michel

Reactions: anyoldiron
#12 ·
Hi Claudio,

My wife Jen has a 910s Brutale, always ran way too hot even here in the UK. When stuck in traffic the temps would rise quickly and the fan was unable to bring the temp down before teh next set of lights and on and on.

So our cure was do the following: fit a power commander and get Chris at X bikes to map it, fit Muzzy metal fan, MV impeller upgrade, run engine ice in the rad, and I got my neighbour and good mate Adam (MERC07) to over write teh chip and lower teh fan switch on point down to 92c rather than the 98c point.

The brute is now sorted, much better, no one silver bullet but a combination of things.

Regards jimboF4

#13 ·
hi guys, i'm humbled by your collective wisdom and experience. I'm relieved to know that my temp issues are not unique and will take onboard the various tips.

Noel, jimboF4, I'll definitely contact Adam (merc07)

i'm now certainly clearer on the issues, many thx, claudio

#14 ·
Claudio,

Forgot to mention we ditched the cat as well.

JimboF4

#15 ·
Design corse's racing water pump cured my 06 750 brutes cronic overheating. I did none of the usual "bandaid fixes" as there seemed to be mixed reviews as to what actually produces results. Immediately afterwards I saw a 15 degree drop in average running temps. In heavy traffic or idling 217 is the hottest she will get. Expensive yes, but worth every penny

#16 ·
hi, i've installed the mv agusta high perf water pump impeller but having probs with the hose clamps that the manual says special pliers are required. Should I order the MV Agusta ones that I guess will come at a pretty price but can anybody suggest any cheaper but effective alternatives? cheers

#17 ·
Claudio,
The MV ones will be very exspensive, but alternatives are easily available, what you need is a "clic R" set of pliers. Any big automotive place should have them or be able to get a set cheaply, also available on ebay.

jimboF4

#18 ·
Also available on Amazon. Click-R clamps are used on lots of other vehicles. Mine cost less than $30

#20 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.