MV Agusta Forum banner

MOTUS the OTHER new American motorcycle Manufacturer

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Roehr@1250sc 
#1 · (Edited)
EBR might be catching all the headlines, but in 2014 there is another new motorcycle manufacture making its debut. MOTUS , a Sport Touring Motorcycle powered by a VERTICALLY MOUNTED 1640cc liquid cooled PUSHROD V-4 WITH 2 Valves per cylinder. The new MOTUS was designed and is owned by the SAME engineers who designed the new? Chevrolet L88? V-8 Corvette engine. High tech in the auto industry, but LOW tech in comparison to the latest European & Japanese literbike/Superbike power plants. In In fact, the MOTUS BABY BLOCK V-4 design is literally 1/2 of the Chevrolet Corvette L88 V-8.(same design , dimensions different) Low tech compared to the run of the mill power plants produced by European and Japanese manufactures. So the Motus claim of 180-185 RWHP from the 1640cc V-4 is Optimistic to put it mildly.
Although being a Sport tourer if the Motus Makes 155 RWHP that is More than adequate , to ride both quickly through twisty back roads and do some high speed interstate riding . Pic below

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I hope it works out for motus, but I wasn't that taken with either the sport or sport tourer. I'm sure it's loaded with high tech but pretty blah in the looks dept. I hope they actually get into production. And the price point can come down.

#3 · (Edited)
1936 Harley EL/1000cc Briggs V-Twin power

ALSO : To get projects done quicker hired 2nd race mechanic .Originally from Dublin Ireland and tech for team that races Isle of Man, he now resides in Conshohocken pa and is tech on all trucks cars ect .
He is currently working on 1936 Harley El (Replica-same parts just new)powered by 1000cc A/C Briggs &Stratton Vanguard 90 degree V-twin with Harley Davidson 4 speed.. kicker .. transmission.
1000cc has racing Stainless valves & springs , high lift cam , roller rockers shaved /ported/polished heads , race intake ect etc....70HP 90 lbs torque@ 5000 RPM. Because of 90 degree V angle 1000cc Briggs is MUCH Smoother than H-D stock knuckle head engine. COST NEW= Briggs 1000cc V-twin 1200$ COST NEW=Harley 1000cc Knuckle head 9000$ With stock shrouds removed Briggs air cooled V-Twin looks Circa 1930s and fits chassis as if done so by Harley factory.

BTW Briggs Vanguard V-Twin spins counter clockwise(looking at output shaft)and heads where designed so the exhaust or intake can be on either side of engine. So the output shaft/intake/exhaust are in correct places . (engine in pic would be mounted output shaft on left side of motorcycle)

We are also going to powder coat cylinders black and bought custom billet aluminum valve covers.

Attachments

#9 ·
ALSO : To get projects done quicker hired 2nd race mechanic .Originally from Dublin Ireland and tech for team that races Isle of Man, he now resides in Conshohocken pa and is tech on all trucks cars ect .
He is currently working on 1936 Harley El (Replica-same parts just new)powered by 1000cc A/C Briggs &Stratton Vanguard 90 degree V-twin with Harley Davidson 4 speed.. kicker .. transmission.
1000cc has racing Stainless valves & springs , high lift cam , roller rockers shaved /ported/polished heads , race intake ect etc....70HP 90 lbs torque@ 5000 RPM. Because of 90 degree V angle 1000cc Briggs is MUCH Smoother than H-D stock knuckle head engine. COST NEW= Briggs 1000cc V-twin 1200$ COST NEW=Harley 1000cc Knuckle head 9000$ With stock shrouds removed Briggs air cooled V-Twin looks Circa 1930s and fits chassis as if done so by Harley factory.

BTW Briggs Vanguard V-Twin spins counter clockwise(looking at output shaft)and heads where designed so the exhaust or intake can be on either side of engine. So the output shaft/intake/exhaust are in correct places . (engine in pic would be mounted output shaft on left side of motorcycle)

We are also going to powder coat cylinders black and bought custom billet aluminum valve covers.
Damn, that's cool.

#4 ·
Chris Motus Motorcycles are NOW in production . Google Motus Motorcycles website listed .
I would buy the bike in a heart beat if mounted CORRECTLY. BMW Boxers are vertically mounted and have been since ?? 1903. The boxer engine is only in production because of the engines long history with company image.The owners of Motus may be automotive engineers but they surely know that vertical engine mounting causes torque to twist chassis and effect handling.Motus could have used 2 separate inline cranks that spin in opposite direction cancelling torque effect out , as seen in the MotoCycz motogp engine . The owners/engineers wanted the Motus power plant to be 1/2 of a Chevrolet Corvette V-8 because car enthusiasts seem to live in a bubble thinking Auto engines are the pinnacle of engine design. Show a car enthusiast the lastest high tech Superbike engine and they go into denial.

#5 ·
I've actually got a friend who's a test rider for motus. I guess I should've been more specific. I hope they manage to go into a production bike in quantities that are economically viable, the price point right now insures limited numbers of sales. This is much like what EBR is doing, ie the first year are the high dollar bikes and next year will be more mass produced.

I don't actually think any motus are at dealers yet. They're supposed to start shipping sometime this fall.

#6 ·
Zvez/Chris , in this day of people wanting the latest greatest tech(except Harley riders lol) Motus is a relatively LOW tech machine. No direct fuel injection , suspension is Ohlins production units , so not as good as off the shelf Ohlins but good suspension none the less.
The Engine design REALLY is a Chevrolet Corvette L88 V-8 cut in 1/2. Auto engine tech is a DECADE OR 2 BEHIND MOTORCYCLE ENGINE TECH.Latest Superbike/literbike engines are closer to F1 engines . Cars have high tech environmental emission electronic controls= high tech ECUs which cost of an average of 7000$ per automobile. Meaning tree huggers made you pay an extra 7000$ when you bought your car lol

#7 · (Edited)
Chris then you already know what im talking about as far as Car vs bike engines .You would know even more about Motus production . . I read the Motus was already in production and for sale in dealerships ?
AND TELL THEM TO TURN ENGINE AND MOUNT HORIZONALALLY LOL.

I do not think high tech engines are needed EXCEPT for Sportbikes of course.
You see me install Briggs Stratton engines in place of Harley engines because they are 1200$ vs 9000$ are smoother and give higher performance .
Briggs/Kohler V-twins are a Good VALUE . You get 20,000 miles before extremely low grade metal they are made of wears out .
They are Dependable NOT Durable. 1000cc briggs kohler V-twins can go 125hp MAX . Over 125HP the BLOCKS CRACK. But at 100hp they last as long as they did at stock 35HP. Horsepower DOES NOT SHORTEN ENGINE LIFE. That is a myth. As long as you have correct lubrication ,sufficient cooling and stay within RPM design peramiters horsepower can be increased and not shorten engine life . The over 125hp cracked blocks are exception because of very cheap metal used . BUT you get a 1000 v_twin with 100hp running 20,000 miles. The 9000$ Harley Knucklehead runs 70,000 less performance more vibration

#8 · (Edited)
#10 · (Edited)
Thank you CAG. In my area of the country , Phila area , finding a GOOD mechanic is as rare as chickens teeth .BOTH the liquid cooled 1000cc Briggs & Stratton V-Twin going into the new 2007 Harley Electra Glide Full Dresser touring AND the Air Cooled 1000cc Briggs & Stratton going into the 1936 Harley El ....FIT INTO THERE HARLEY CHASSIS LIKE IT WAS FACTORY DESIGNED . YET ,To have someone Fabricate motor mounts you would think it was designing a Nuclear reactor!!
My 2nd Buiilder is from IRELAND. He looked at the Jobs and said ... whats the big deal?
He is doing build between his normal day to day jobs. He also is dying to do the RIDLEY stroker Kohler (750cc to 1000cc) and adding turbo.
Both the Briggs and Kohler 750-1000cc V-TWINS are MUCH smoother due to being 90 degfree V-Twins AND out Perform a Stock & Cammed Harley V-twin . The Both put out roughly 100-125hp . When not restricted . BRIGGS/KOHLER Engines are EXTREMELY restricted from the factory .

PS . NOT to mislead anyone ... BRIGGS/KOHLER V-TWINS can outperform a Harley V-Twin and they ARE dependable. They are NOT durable.
Where a Harley V-Twin can go 80,000-100,000 miles before top end wears out . The BRIGGS/KOHLER V-Twins will go 20,000 miles before top end/Bottom end wears out . BRIGGS/KOHLER engines are made of LOW-LOW grade Metal and Harley V-Twins are made of HIGH grade metals.
This is why the BEST 1000cc BRIGGS/KOHLER V-twins cost 1200$ and Harley V-Twins COST 9000$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.