MV Agusta Forum banner

Elastic Fixing Nuts

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  chay250 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Greetings from the UK where we can't use our hose pipes to clean our bikes because we are in a drought and we can't ride them either because it's the wettest April on record and the rivers are bursting their banks!

Anyway my question is....

I need to replace the elastic fixing nuts for the air filter compartment side panels (Bodywork Manual C, page 15). Are these MV specific or can I get these from a general bike shop?

Rich

#2 · (Edited)
Dya mean the little black triangle shaped covers . These have two screws ? The rubber fittings the screws are threaded into are called "wellnuts" and need to be removed and binned and to have metal riv nuts installed instead.

The wellnuts can deteriorate/break and drop a nice threaded metal ferrule inside # 1 and/or # 4 velocity stack ...not good.

joe

#3 ·
#6 ·
#7 ·
Thanks Donsy!

Reading the thread on the change to rivnuts. If I chose to stay with well nuts I should change them every year? but if I do so I should be safe from the threat of them deteriating and the chance of the nut falling into the intake.

Rich

#8 ·
You can glue em with araldite..or gloopy superglue.

Or, you can squeeze up the riv nut with a bolt and nuts washers.

I thinks you go up to the next size riv nut to get a good shoulder.

Electrical suppliers should stock them..

joe

ps ..putting wellnuts back in given that you now know what can happen is just asking for the gremlins to call in to your airbox...; /

#9 ·
A little story of well nuts and riv nuts...

Ok, so I had gone the riv nut route and following Noel's advice I epoxied them in place. I found that if you epoxied them in there wasn't adequate clearance between the velocity stacks and the riv nuts and they would get knocked loose. If you are going to use riv nuts definitely crimp them in place. For me, I wound up removing them and use well nuts. There are a couple of things to remember with well nuts: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! it will cause them to tear. Definitely use new ones each time since the tightening-loosening causes the most damage to the rubber. If the well nuts do tear the brass insert remains on the machine screw which cannot fall into the opening because of the screw head. Worse case is the triangular injector cover flies off during a ride (ask me how I know). If you are at all worried you can put a dab of silicone or loctite on the threads which will ensure the brass insert stays affixed to the screw. The downside is that that makes it a bit of a pain to remove.

#10 ·
new approach

ok guys this is my take on the problem i went a slightly different route >>

cut the brass thread off your nice new well nut (now it can't fall down the throttle body) and place in the hole - now take your rivet nut apply a sliver of silicone and gently insert it into the well nut - not sure which size i used but it slid in making a nice snug fit - hey presto job done.
colin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.