MV Agusta Forum banner

Rear Brake fluid

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  gotojoe 
#1 ·
Rear brake fluid. Pedal getting low ?

There are concerns about the fluid in the reservoir getting hot and some owners have moved the reservoir away from the rear of the engine crank case.

Whilst it isn't a good thing for the fluid to become hot in the reservoir I doubt if it is the primary cause of the pedal getting low.

The reservoir acts as a header for the system and as the pads wear the level in the reservoir will become a little lower.

I don't believe that during the course of a ride out that the brake fluid in the reservoir " mixes" into the brake fluid in the master cylinder as there is no return line as such.

Therefore when during a ride out if my pedal should get low then this is most likely due to heating of the fluid in the MASTER cylinder which sits close to the exhaust pipes. The Master cylinder is not completely shielded from the heat down there and I believe this is the principle area that requires attention and not the reservoir.
I'm interested in other's opinions on this too : )

joe

See less See more
#3 ·
I moved my reservoir under my seat and fitted fast road pads to cure my rear brake or lack of rear brake problem but that only helped after curing the problem.........check yr exhaust as mine had cracked round the joint blowing hot gases straight onto the master cylinder. Welded up with additional webbing and problem solved. I now have a rear brake helped by changing the pads and moving the reservoir. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#5 ·
I use that special "R" designated brake fluid for the "R"ear brake........:stickpoke

#6 ·
agree with gotojoe and Donsy and luizfto

mentioned in other posts but I had my exhaust header heatshield replaced with an improved material (larger and thicker version provided by MV) which better shielded the partly exposed m/c in addition to using dot 5.1....problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.