MV Agusta Forum banner

Current state of MV Agusta?

10K views 91 replies 42 participants last post by  meccano 
#1 ·
A lot has happened since the MV Agusta-Harley Davidson divorce. MV have launched a couple of new bikes, Castiglione passed away leaving his son at the helm and MV USA has apparently been restructured. It seems though that news (rumors) coming out of the factory are all but silenced. Does anyone with more insight to the company have any clue as to current happenings within MV?

#4 · (Edited)
Will Things Ever Change In Adesville?

Sweet, short, optimistic & then there's (as usual).........

Apparently Rob there is a lot hanging on the SUCCESS of the 675 triple. My sources tell me that MV Agusta can't afford for it to go 'Tit's Up' in any way whatsoever.
Judging by the 675's still available here in the UK it would suggest one of the following:

a) The predicted uptake has not been as oversubscribed as reported.
b) Folk have backed out of the deal for whatever reason.
c) The UK market has been over subscribed.

Lets hope that the factory doesn't have issues like Aprilia did with the RSV4 and now apparently, BMW with 1000RR where the engine has either to be teared down or even replaced.

:popcorn:​

Another piece of rip roaring positivity from Ade. The point of it is?

You absolutely never cease to amaze me, I am certain if you won £1,000,000 in the lottery, your initial reaction would be "If I live another 40 years that it would only equate to £6.85 per day". Geez you must be a blast to be around.

I really can't understand what your beef with the F3 is but surreptitiously, overtly and at any opportunity that presents or doesn't present, you paint a gloomy picture for both the bike & the company.

In future I would really love the to know the substance behind the standard authoritative Ade sentence starters such as:

"My sources tell me"
"I have been reliably informed"
"I have it on good authority"

I interpret those introductions as "What I am about to say is a bunch of unfounded crap but I believe it will sound more creditable if I couch it as......"

I have no option, as much as I want to bite my lip I can't (I know people here are sick of our stoushes), I am your polar opposite. - I am nonplus by the negativity you exude - you have made your point, over & over & over & over again. Will it end when someone other than your inner sanctum of followers utters (or types) the words "Yes Ade you are right!"?

Negativity is self defeating & a precursor to depression.

What is problem Ade? There is obviously a serious one.

#6 ·
Sweet, short, optimistic & then there's (as usual).........

Another piece of rip roaring positivity from Ade. The point of it is?

You absolutely never cease to amaze me, I am certain if you won £1,000,000 in the lottery, your initial reaction would be "If I live another 40 years that it would only equate to £6.85 per day". Geez you must be a blast to be around.

I really can't understand what your beef with the F3 is but surreptitiously, overtly and at any opportunity that presents or doesn't present, you paint a gloomy picture for both the bike & the company.

In future I would really love the to know the substance behind the standard authoritative Ade sentence starters such as:

"My sources tell me"
"I have been reliably informed"
"I have it on good authority"

I interpret those introductions as "What I am about to say is a bunch of unfounded crap but I believe it will sound more creditable if I couch it as......"

I have no option, as much as I want to bite my lip I can't (I know people here are sick of our stoushes), I am your polar opposite. - I am nonplus by the negativity you exude - you have made your point, over & over & over & over again. Will it end when someone other than your inner sanctum of followers utters (or types) the words "Yes Ade you are right!"?

Negativity is self defeating & a precursor to depression.

What is problem Ade? There is obviously a serious one.
Rob , wake up , instead of saying that everything Mv made or makes is perfect. IT,S NOT
You give your opnion on everything but when you can,t have it your way, like on this one http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45342
you answer nothing.
I retired 6 months ago after being in the 2 wheels bussiness for more then 24 years , I know the way it goes nowadays.
The parts comes from China (after a long waiting time, you can,t send it back due to that), so the quickshifter on the new F3 sucks big time, the welds on the frames etc........
It,s not all bad off course , but try to keep a more open mind please.

#3 ·
Apparently Rob there is a lot hanging on the SUCCESS of the 675 triple. My sources tell me that MV Agusta can't afford for it to go 'Tit's Up' in any way whatsoever.
Judging by the 675's still available here in the UK it would suggest one of the following:

a) The predicted uptake has not been as oversubscribed as reported.
b) Folk have backed out of the deal for whatever reason.
c) The UK market has been over subscribed.

Lets hope that the factory doesn't have issues like Aprilia did with the RSV4 and now apparently, BMW with 1000RR where the engine has either to be teared down or even replaced.

:popcorn:​

#9 ·
I've met both Ade and Rob and they are both wonderful people.....so boys....., quitcherbitchin.

None of us would be here if we didn't have an affinity for the MV marque and products. So let's all hope the company continues into the future.
I have no idea what the UK market situation is, but from all reports the F3 is sold out in the USA for the year.
The bike racing in Europe taking a 4th place in its second race is a nice bit of news!

#11 ·
It would have been great if Audi would have bought MV Agusta rather than Ducati. Like BMW's Husky, Ducati under Audi ownership will now come out with more models,a larger dealer network, have better refinement, be more reliable all at less cost.

#12 ·
I can't help but feel that for MV Agusta, less is more...but then I am sure that there is a point on the graph Volume of sales/ Month that equates to Break even...

I'm glad that I'm not in their business..very tough place to be especially in the current climate..

So, Ade's point that MV can't afford anything to go tits up with the 675 is a valid one, or they won't achieve breakeven +

I understand what he means.

joe

#19 ·
I think they are financially OK at present with a fair few new bike to appear: Brutale 675 and obviously a fair few versions of that from std to Oro type I guess plus bigger 3 cylinder motors.............great times ahead for MV if they get the line up and product at 100%

#22 ·
We spoke to Goggi at Milan and an MV Italy guy at the NEC, both confirmed the 3 cylinder will go to around 900cc, won't go to 1000cc apparantly but 900cc is achievable :)

#24 ·
I have it on good authority that next season (2013) the MV/Alstare partnership will take off with the plan to initially race the F3 in WSBK-World Supersport and to eventually make the F4 competitive enough to enter the Superbikes once again.
I agree that MV have a lot riding on their F3 bike (excuse the pun) and the success of this model will closely reflect the success of the company as a whole. If the F3 fails through poor rideability, unreliability and substandard workmanship then it is hard to see how the company could recover from such a blow.
But then Ducati didn't really sort out their reliability issues with their sportsbikes until the 1098 and they haven't done too badly....So only time will tell for sure!

#26 ·
I think Rob was a little over the top.

But you gotta admit, generally you UK folk are a little miserable :stickpoke

P.S. the dood who drew the parallels between the GFC and optimism needs to get off the wacky wacky too.

#48 ·
If it wasn't over optimism that got us all in this global mess, what was it then? I think the money men call it "Sentiment" Like ROB says buy a F3, parts won't be a problem because the one I buy won't break down, and as for all those road testers saying the F3 has got problems! Rob reckons they don't know what they are talking about.:blah:

Any way back to the LSD:jsm:

#28 ·
Summation - Commentary (Forum Cheat For those, Rightly Too Lazy To Reading All)

Pure entertainment...as usual. It will be great to see MV racing again.
Tue that - highlights:

Velocemoto - the peace maker.

Ade seeking validation/approval from Ed (seeking or perhaps craving) - for what it's worth Ed - excellent post as usual. I take onboard what you say and I am done adding to the bitchin' after this post (for now).

Stephen Wood's remarkable insight into the GFC.

Mike coming out (name calling at the ready) to take a bullet for his mate. In the next breath makes a reamarkable short insightful post - showing either that there is hope or that he is bi-polar.

Andrew Fortherignham takes aim at the insolent Antipodean using emoticons intended to offend - not directly but (rather bravely) via a third party reference. This is too ambiguous for Mike & now sets about trying to figure out who's side he is on, so he asks. Sides are important here, there may be more space in the inner sanctum of negativity.

Brutaleluke makes commentary - good summation actually, I vote him to be the official F3 tester - he seems to know a spade when he sees one. A gift around this place!

Rob wakes up - reads this thread starts the day with a laugh - another good day.

No it gets better - sun is shining - not at work - not a single broken MV Agusta in the garage, this leaves him the following options:

1. Stay here all day posting seeking vindication of his position. Or
2. Get down to the business of actually riding MV Agustas and enjoying the camaraderie of fellow riders at the usual haunts.

Decision* made - my work here is done.

*For those at the blunt end of the forum - my lack of posts for the next 6-8 hours will give an insight into what that decison was. :)

#29 ·
I am going with the glass half full. With the F3 sold out in the US and getting some good reviews I can only hope for the best. Plus I do not want to think of a future with no parts for my MV if she needs them.

#32 ·
Ade vs Rob....

I must say what initially got me a little frustrated seeing Ade's repetitive negative comments on the F3 and Rob's increasingly vicious responses, I actually now find it quite amusing.

Probably a worrying sign of my own personality.... Hmmmm

No disrespect for either of you guys as I am sure you say it as you see it. We all tick differently and occasionally run into polar opposites .... This certaintly appears to one of those cases.

Personally doesn't worry me whether you guys keep at it or not. Hopefully it doesn't put off new people to this forum though, especially with plenty of new players with the intro of the 675s.

#33 ·
I love this forum.....what a great community of personalities...

#41 ·
The way MV is NOT looking after its customers they could be in trouble at the end of the year.

They have lost me from parting with my hard earned for this year at least, & I guess I am not the only one!

I have not bought from any of the other rivals but invested in some future classics instead.

If MV can sort out all its issues in the same manner as BMW or Aprillia went about there recalls, then I may return to buy a new bike from them.

Taking a £15k bike back to a dealer for repairs & been told, WE ARE SORRY BUT WE HAVE CONTACTED MV & THEY ARE NOT RESPONDING or SORRY BUT THERE IS NO TIMESCALE AS THE PARTS ARE NOT YET AVAILABLE or ITS MV WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!:thewife:

The F3 could be to MV what the V-DUE was to Bimota.

I really really hope not.

Come on MV give me some confidence to give you £20k in the hope I will be looked after & treated like a customer you would like to retain.

Not a lot to ask. [Is it?]

#42 ·
Dearest Ade

My humblest apologies if I offended you.

That comment (my work is done) simply meant that I was leaving MVAgusta.net world to get on with my real life (as in riding MV Agustas the alleged main activity engaged in by the majority of forum dwellers). I left the readers of this thread with something to do ( off beat humour - at least ONE person understood it & found it amusing) :)

Troll? That's an internet insult isn't it? And a picture with a caption to boot - Yikes! That's the big guns - I am not sure I'll sleep tonight - I do hope my wife will allow me to keep the light on.

Why are you concerned "with who the hell I think I am" What I think doesn't matter does it? I am completely bonkers remember? You have a website to prove it that's that then - you can cease to obsesses. :highclap:

I must ask (rhetorical question to follow), what personal attack on you? My lottery winning example? Come on, that was extravagant language at best, hardly an attack, powder puffs at 20 paces. I merely promulgated that your posts make you appear to be inward looking, have a negative predisposition & a propensity to make authoritative statements without basis.

You pleaded earlier in this thread for the truth to be spoken - you got your wish before you actually knew it.

It is indeed funny how we all have versions of the truth that don't sit well with others.

You may have the last word without recourse. This is my last post in this thread.

Knock yourself out sweetie. :)

#47 ·
My humblest apologies if I offended you.

That comment (my work is done) simply meant that I was leaving MVAgusta.net world to get on with my real life (as in riding MV Agustas the alleged main activity engaged in by the majority of forum dwellers). I left the readers of this thread with something to do ( off beat humour - at least ONE person understood it & found it amusing) :)

Troll? That's an internet insult isn't it? And a picture with a caption to boot - Yikes! That's the big guns - I am not sure I'll sleep tonight - I do hope my wife will allow me to keep the light on.

Why are you concerned "with who the hell I think I am" What I think doesn't matter does it? I am completely bonkers remember? You have a website to prove it that's that then - you can cease to obsesses. :highclap:

I must ask (rhetorical question to follow), what personal attack on you? My lottery winning example? Come on, that was extravagant language at best, hardly an attack, powder puffs at 20 paces. I merely promulgated that your posts make you appear to be inward looking, have a negative predisposition & a propensity to make authoritative statements without basis.

You pleaded earlier in this thread for the truth to be spoken - you got your wish before you actually knew it.

It is indeed funny how we all have versions of the truth that don't sit well with others.

You may have the last word without recourse. This is my last post in this thread.

Knock yourself out sweetie. :)
I 'v just read the above comments from you and realize what really pisses me off about you, your optimistic authoritative statements without any basis. I should have said thats only 1 of the many annoying qualities I find distasteful about you.
As for the truth, I don't think you can handle the truth, rhetoric seems to be more your style, smoke & mirrors.:stickpoke

You'll be back, you can't help yourself:naughty:

#50 ·
It is in deed shocking to read all the negative posts spread over mvagusta.net.
And this only caused by the introduction of a beautiful supersport, with advanced technology, offered for an affordable price. But it is still polarizing.
It is plain disgusting to read in every thread the same stories, like the posters are just copy and paste.
Even picture threads containing might 10 pictures and 50 pages of vomit.
The entire F3 section stinks.
Now we all know that not everything is rosy with parts, service and to some extend even with MV Agusta's own customer service.
Some left the forum because they didn't want to deal with it.
The majority stayed. And we are still here and we still love our MV Agusta.
MV Agusta SpA is still operating in Varese and does widely better than ever.
I for an example still love my F4S. It is a fantastic motorcycle and puts always smiles on my face once I'm riding it. If I would have listened to the issues testers had in 2000 with the F4 I would have a GSX750R today or I would have given up on motorcycling.
Sure we can always bash MV Agusta for having problems or for using more cost effective production methods.
But how the hell can we compare a 180 peoples outfit with giants like Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha or Suzuki which have hundred thousands of staff. Even producers like BMW, Piaggio (Aprilia/Moto Guzzi/...) or Ducati are giants against MV Agusta. Triumph is building at least half of their production in Thailand.
They developed in Varese a complete new product with an entirely new and advanced engine.
With technology never used before in Supersport.
Sure they are under enormous pressure to make the 3 cylinder line a success.
And for sure the expectations of the customer were sky high after the long wait for the F3.
There are complains about cheap looking parts and so on.
Hey the offer this bikes way cheaper than ever before. Where should they have saved money on production if not by machine welded frames.
Sure also that in our information age bad news are faster around the globe than You could type them.
The positive notes will be simply ignored.
MV Agusta is most likely working on different mappings and we heard from dealers that new soft ware is already available.
If the new mapping is the cure for all complains is still doubtable.
Creating an new mapping is not just a thing of sitting in front of a computer and reading dyne results.
Things have to be tested on the road, the tack and must still be inside the emission law tolerances.
And there we, as the owners of the MV Agusta bikes, the lucky ones who were able to visit the factory, to speak to the peoples behind the operation should at least understand that MV Agusta is a tiny outfit, with big plans and hugh hearts.
I say it again if Castiglioni wouldn't have resurrected the brand MV Agusta we would all miss something.
For many of us an entire live style in motorcycling and some of us discovered even the history, own nowadays even MV Agusta's from the seventies or even older.
I for one can't think of a world without MV Agusta.
And so I wish them all the best.
Might be the forces with Castiglioni and Bordi.
I know the have more dreams and I wish we see many more of them.
As I wish mvagusta.net will find back to civilized manners.
Critic is good but it should be constructive not destructive.
What we read nowadays in the F3 section is the worst advertisement a product could get.
And this is in no way good.

#52 ·
It is in deed shocking to read all the negative posts spread over mvagusta.net.
And this only caused by the introduction of a beautiful supersport, with advanced technology, offered for an affordable price. But it is still polarizing.
It is plain disgusting to read in every thread the same stories, like the posters are just copy and paste.
Even picture threads containing might 10 pictures and 50 pages of vomit.
The entire F3 section stinks.
Now we all know that not everything is rosy with parts, service and to some extend even with MV Agusta's own customer service.
Some left the forum because they didn't want to deal with it.
The majority stayed. And we are still here and we still love our MV Agusta.
MV Agusta SpA is still operating in Varese and does widely better than ever.
I for an example still love my F4S. It is a fantastic motorcycle and puts always smiles on my face once I'm riding it. If I would have listened to the issues testers had in 2000 with the F4 I would have a GSX750R today or I would have given up on motorcycling.
Sure we can always bash MV Agusta for having problems or for using more cost effective production methods.
But how the hell can we compare a 180 peoples outfit with giants like Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha or Suzuki which have hundred thousands of staff. Even producers like BMW, Piaggio (Aprilia/Moto Guzzi/...) or Ducati are giants against MV Agusta. Triumph is building at least half of their production in Thailand.
They developed in Varese a complete new product with an entirely new and advanced engine.
With technology never used before in Supersport.
Sure they are under enormous pressure to make the 3 cylinder line a success.
And for sure the expectations of the customer were sky high after the long wait for the F3.
There are complains about cheap looking parts and so on.
Hey the offer this bikes way cheaper than ever before. Where should they have saved money on production if not by machine welded frames.
Sure also that in our information age bad news are faster around the globe than You could type them.
The positive notes will be simply ignored.
MV Agusta is most likely working on different mappings and we heard from dealers that new soft ware is already available.
If the new mapping is the cure for all complains is still doubtable.
Creating an new mapping is not just a thing of sitting in front of a computer and reading dyne results.
Things have to be tested on the road, the tack and must still be inside the emission law tolerances.
And there we, as the owners of the MV Agusta bikes, the lucky ones who were able to visit the factory, to speak to the peoples behind the operation should at least understand that MV Agusta is a tiny outfit, with big plans and hugh hearts.
I say it again if Castiglioni wouldn't have resurrected the brand MV Agusta we would all miss something.
For many of us an entire live style in motorcycling and some of us discovered even the history, own nowadays even MV Agusta's from the seventies or even older.
I for one can't think of a world without MV Agusta.
And so I wish them all the best.
Might be the forces with Castiglioni and Bordi.
I know the have more dreams and I wish we see many more of them.
As I wish mvagusta.net will find back to civilized manners.
Critic is good but it should be constructive not destructive.
What we read nowadays in the F3 section is the worst advertisement a product could get.
And this is in no way good.

+100:yo:

Calm down, Lads!!!

#73 · (Edited)
I think the quote from bungle below paints a clear picture of the way MV are heading and unless they address the matter they will lose customers. - loss of customers = closure of bussiness

The way MV is NOT looking after its customers they could be in trouble at the end of the year.

They have lost me from parting with my hard earned for this year at least, & I guess I am not the only one!

I have not bought from any of the other rivals but invested in some future classics instead.

If MV can sort out all its issues in the same manner as BMW or Aprillia went about there recalls, then I may return to buy a new bike from them.

Taking a £15k bike back to a dealer for repairs & been told, WE ARE SORRY BUT WE HAVE CONTACTED MV & THEY ARE NOT RESPONDING or SORRY BUT THERE IS NO TIMESCALE AS THE PARTS ARE NOT YET AVAILABLE or ITS MV WHAT DO YOU EXPECT!:thewife:

The F3 could be to MV what the V-DUE was to Bimota.

I really really hope not.

Come on MV give me some confidence to give you £20k in the hope I will be looked after & treated like a customer you would like to retain.

Not a lot to ask. [Is it?]

£15000 is a hell out a lot of cash to pay out on a bike (which I have done twice to MV) but there will not be a third time unless MV deal with problems both inhouse (internal) and external problems (dealers).

The reason many buy new rather than second hand is;
  • when you buy new you get a warranty and you can rest assured that you will have no problems with the bike for 2 - 3 years and if a problem should arrise it will get immediate attention from the dealer you bought it (with MV backing and support)

• when you buy new you get a brand new bike which you know has not been abused or mis-treated by previous owners - this is not the actual case with MV, MV owners normally purchase the bike new with a number of snags and eventually get the bike running perfect. It may be an advantage to actually buy a second hand bike in the case of MV with the majority of pitfalls iron'd out with low mileage
I was considering a brand new F3 or F4 and wasnt 100% sure which way to go as I liked the F3 but couldnt decide as im always drawn to 1 litre bikes

but when I buy new I like to be guarantee'd the support and back up of a dealer should the bike go wrong, I want to own a new bike that has perfect running, and a bike that I can simply forget about until I am ready to use it. Then when i want to go out for a ride I simply start the bike up and ride away (like any normal bike or car).

Scotland has only one dealer and the dealer has only added MV to a number of brands of bikes it sells, this dealer is 100 miles away and I do not want the constant hassle of sticking the bike on a trailer and driving up and down should a fault occur or for repair of an existing fault which MV have still to iron out

A new bike should equal trouble free riding with customer back-up

I feel the same as what "Bungle" stated above, I have also experienced poor customer service with the 312R and looking back with the EV03 too, life is too short to have all this hassle with a brand new bike and I do not have the cash nor the patience of stephen wood to risk paying out £18k

The other problem I have, which does not help MV is that the dealership Ducati Glasgow is not far from my doorstep.

Unlike MV, Ducati Glasgow has an excellent reputation for customer service, it gives excellent back-up and has a mountain of spare parts already sitting in the workshop stores (which ive seen myself) and you dont win UK dealer of the year without doing something right!!!!!!! http://www.ducatiglasgow.co.uk/about_us

So do I buy another MV? which if I do, it will be a nice second hand F4 1000S or F4 1000R (which I consider to be the most reliable) again this doesnt help MV Agusta as it will be second hand and spares will be bought second hand also.

or

Do I change brand and buy a new stunning Ducati with excellent local dealer, excellent proven customer service & peace of mind

it should be a "no-brainer" to go Ducati, but I still have a twinkle in my eye for an old F4

If MV want to attract new customers they need to focus on drawing customers in, and not drawing them away to other brands.

even a meercat can see that, its simple's

#74 ·
Pretty good couple of posts there, and I reckon there's many members with similar sentiments. I'm similar, having owned 2 gorgeous MV's over 8 years. I loved them, cherished them.....but in the end the ongoing issues, non existent support and backup in Melbourne lost me for the short term.
I ride a lot, and over that 8 year period I was off the road for over a year and I didn't have the cash to have a second bike like many owners......it was frustrating to ay the least

Of course we all adore the marque, I don't think that will ever be the issue as so many of us stay here waiting and hoping........and we want them to succeed even though sometimes there seems to be a growing voice of negativity that hangs in the air.

Like many fans and members here , I'll maybe wait a little longer for better support {especially here in Aus} and more signs MV has their sh*t together before throwing my hard earned on a third one....

Fingers crossed for the MV Agusta brand

#75 ·
Well, I always sit and read these posts and think I must be the lucky one. So maybe I should say something for a change. I got my 2009 Brutale 1078RR second-hand with 1500 miles on it last September. The previous owner had already installed aftermarket exhaust and race ECU (along with a few other goodies). The previous owner also said he had spent some time getting it to run just right. I have no idea what he might have done. The bike now has 8400 miles and I've had zero problems. I've just changed tires, oil and gas. And oiled the chain and tightened it a bit once. I'm a little nervous about the rear hub but haven't messed with it at all (besides the chain tightening).

As for fueling, I'm not sure what snatchy is but I don't think I got it. The bike does have instant throttle response that feels like it pulls your arms out of socket. I wonder sometimes if that's what everyone means, because I do have to use the clutch more to keep things under control at lower speeds. But I figure it must be more than that or everyone wouldn't complain like they do.

So basically my bike has lived up to my expectations in every way. It truly is my dream bike. And I can't imagine not owning an MV now. Maybe I will feel different later, so we'll just have to see.

The whole time I am typing this I have been knocking on wood. I'm certainly not trying to rub it in for the people who have had problems. But I do want you to know that it is possible to have an MV that operates as it should. And yes, I am intending to buy one of Mitch's hubs before the party comes to an abrupt halt.

So that's tonight's alternative view. I hope everyone here starts having the same luck with their MV's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.