MV Agusta Forum banner

Alternator

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  silentservice703 
#1 · (Edited)
ballistic 8 or 12 cell lithium battery

Hello Guys,

So i am making a step in getting a lithium battery for my brutale.

Now my questions is, do i need to get the 12 cell or will an 8 cell work just fine for the bike.

I have an 05 750 f4 Brutale

Thanks guys

#2 ·
Hello Guys,

So i am making a step in getting a lithium battery for my brutale.

Now my questions is, do i need to get the 12 cell or will an 8 cell work just fine for the bike.

I have an 05 750 f4 Brutale

Thanks guys
The 8 cell should be fine for the 750.

#3 ·
I got a Ballistic 12cells on my 1090RR. Before that everytime the radiator fans are on, the dashboard light turns weak.....its not a big problems but I just dont like it. With a 12cells problem is solved :)

#8 ·
A curious question here gents: In a standard Lead-Acid Battery, the voltage is determined by the number of cells. 2.2 VDC per cell. That is why a standard 12 VDC system has a six cell lead-acid battery.

How does it work for these Lithium packs?

#9 ·
A curious question here gents: In a standard Lead-Acid Battery, the voltage is determined by the number of cells. 2.2 VDC per cell. That is why a standard 12 VDC system has a six cell lead-acid battery.

How does it work for these Lithium packs?
They are 4 x 3.6v cells in series = 14.4v
An 8 cell is then another set in parallel and so on....

Cheers
Adam

#10 ·
Ok, thanks. So, every set of 4 in series just adds capacity.

#11 ·
?

Adam;
our problem here is vodkamune has 2 threads on this BS and won't put a meter on his bike.....

on the other thread it starts for 2 days and then it won't, sounds like charging system

PUT A METER ON THE POS

#16 ·
Bugger

Adam;
our problem here is vodkamune has 2 threads on this BS and won't put a meter on his bike.....

on the other thread it starts for 2 days and then it won't, sounds like charging system

PUT A METER ON THE POS
Well in the end the alternator crapped out ....

I just got my 12 cell today installed it in the bike ... took the bike for a spin ... everything was good 10 min into the ride the battery light starts flashing then becomes solid color red. 15 minutes later bike shuts down from loss of power. I get my old battery jump the bike to see if it was a folty 12 cell lithium battery it was not... the bike jumps then when i remove the clamp power rushes out and the bike goes to dead sleep. So my conclusion that the alternator on the bike is gone. Anyone know how much it runs for and whats a good site to get it in the states. I do live next to MV agusta dealer well 45 minutes away up in San Francisco. But in regards i think most bike shops can manage a alternator change.

You should have tested it first, like Noel said. It's a lot cheaper to test before you buy.
Just out of curiosity, did you check your fuses at all ?

#12 · (Edited)
Hahaha

Yes the Lithium batteries are temp sensitive, even more so the open cell kits you can buy very cheap from some places. They need to be insulate against heat and cold.
There is quite a bit involved but I'm not going down that raod unless someone ask's.
When these batteries, even the one's that come in insulated hard case, get to very cold temps, they will struggle to start your bike every time.
I recently insulated a mate's battery against the heat, but he had the kit's which only have thin heatshrink around the cell's.

When you try and start your bike with a cold LiFe or LiFo battery, you should give it a short try, few seconds only, and you will hear the bike struggling. THEN, you wait about 5 seconds, try again, if it still struggles, wait another 5 seconds or so, tray again and by this time the chemicals in the battery will be fully warmed up and she will start.

I use a 8-cell RACING battery, from Design Corse, on my bike which has a alternator, and it has never let me down.
On the bike without the alternator, I run a 12-cell Ballistic because I need the extra A/Hour to keep the bike running long enough, this is a job in progress and the Ballistic has performed great.

There are a few of these batteries that have built in circuitry that will balance the cell's over time, greatly increasing their live cycle, and then you get the Ballistic and Shorai units, to name but a few, which have a dedicated charger availible. These can be used to balance the cell's via a secondary port every cople of month's and is purely optional. I bought the Ballistic battery and Charger from Motovation, and it's a great little charger, highly re-commended.

If you do decide to buy one of these, do yourslef a favour and follow the instructions and advice - and for added info - watch these video's

COLD STARTING - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOzpYsLDUAM

CHARGER - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3cuBUF9-eY

Attachments

#14 ·

I just got my 12 cell today installed it in the bike ... took the bike for a spin ... everything was good 10 min into the ride the battery light starts flashing then becomes solid color red. 15 minutes later bike shuts down from loss of power. I get my old battery jump the bike to see if it was a folty 12 cell lithium battery it was not... the bike jumps then when i remove the clamp power rushes out and the bike goes to dead sleep. So my conclusion that the alternator on the bike is gone. Anyone know how much it runs for and whats a good site to get it in the states. I do live next to MV agusta dealer well 45 minutes away up in San Francisco. But in regards i think most bike shops can manage a alternator change.

#15 ·

I just got my 12 cell today installed it in the bike ... took the bike for a spin ... everything was good 10 min into the ride the battery light starts flashing then becomes solid color red. 15 minutes later bike shuts down from loss of power. I get my old battery jump the bike to see if it was a folty 12 cell lithium battery it was not... the bike jumps then when i remove the clamp power rushes out and the bike goes to dead sleep. So my conclusion that the alternator on the bike is gone. Anyone know how much it runs for and whats a good site to get it in the states. I do live next to MV agusta dealer well 45 minutes away up in San Francisco. But in regards i think most bike shops can manage a alternator change. It going to be quite hard on getting in over there with out a truck :(

My other post http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49863&highlight=alternator&page=2

#18 · (Edited)
Huh

I am getting ever so slightly confused mate. On another thread you were talking about the old battery only lasting for a while before dying also, or am missing something here?
Did you check the alternator voltage before relacing the battery, to make sure it was not the alternator in the first place.
Your 12-cell Li battery might not run as long as the standard battery without being charged first.
Are you sure you connected the battry the right way round ?

#20 ·
yes the battery is fully charged out of the box. Regarding the connection did the same way that it was connected prier the replacement. There is 2 cables to the negative and the main red top cable to the positive.

#21 ·
Batteries are never "fully charged" right out of the box. They may show correct voltage, but they need to be trickle charged for at least 24 hours to top them off. Voltage is not an indication of capacity.

#22 ·
someone was telling me that it might be the voltage regulator on the bike ....

does anyone know a good website that i can find parts to order

#23 ·
It is fairly simple to test your voltage regulator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.