MV Agusta Forum banner

Where do I begin??

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  JSM 
#1 ·
Lets say I'd be interested in buying a classic/cafe racer MV, what should I get?

These are my left and right lateral limits:
Under $10,000
Something to just enjoy on a nice Friday evening
Doesn't have to be fast
Maintenance is not super crazy
MOST IMPORTANT must look cool

So entertain me, year, model, cylinders, cc, etc

#3 ·
Hi Daniel,

That's one though assignment! Classics are a very personal thing.

Your choices are going to be either 1 or 2 cylinder given your budget - you looked at a 4 for me in NY so you have a pretty good idea of those prices.

I am thinking you would enjoy a twin more than a single (to start with) & not too early at that either - bear in mind they will have right hand shifts and reverse pattern - i.e 1st up & 4 down. This turns some people off.

Probably a decent 350B Electronica would be a good entry point - I am not sure of what availablity is like in the USA - you may have to import one from Uk or Europe although with import costs etc you may struggle to keep it under 10K for a decent one.

Something like this below - this one is not original hence the price - but it gives you an idea of "look" and if it's the kind of thing that you may interested in - failing that look through my registery & see if any of those tickle your fancy (not that any are for sale) but it may give you an idea if models and what appeals to you - which is VERY important when it comes to selecting a classic to enjoy.

Cheers
Rob

http://annunci.ebay.it/annunci/moto-e-scooter/piacenza-annunci-piacenza/mv-350-sport-1972/36739016

#4 ·
Buy the absolute finest bike you can afford that is FINISHED! You can buy someone else's labor in a restoration for essentially zero. If you buy a project bike, you'll almost certainly pour way more money into it than you'll recover when you sell it.

#7 ·
Thanks for all that information Rob, I am looking for something like the one you sent the link to. Two cylinder.
The shifter on the opposite side does discourage me a bit. The reverse shifter (MotoGP) I can deal with.

I will call the guy that was selling the bike I scoped out for you and see if he has anything.

I want a bike that is already in the US.
I don't want a restoration project as I don't have the mechanical inclination for it. I'd really like a turn key ready to go bike.

#8 ·
Hello

With the amount you want to put in a good old MV, you should have the choice

I agree with the guys on the principle of choosing a small 350 twin cylinder, 12 V preferred.

But when I say small, you should know that these bikes are good and reliable but rather for for small jigs :)

Cordialement

Xavier

#12 ·
Thanks for the input my friend.
Knowing you & the bikes you have Daniel, I thought this would be a good entry point. Either that or a 350 ipotesi like mine would be a good starting point for classics - I say starting point because once you are in you are hooked!

Btw Daniel, if you find something put it up here, many of the guys will only be too happy to help work out if it is worth following through on it. :)
THanks Rob, I would not DEAR to buy a classic MV Agusta without consulting with you gentlmen. The wealth of knowledge here is amazing.
I don't know what I am getting myself into, but I like the idea.
I could get a Japanese bike .... on a second thought ..... no, I couldn't.
I currently own a 1971 Datsun 240Z that is worth maybe $5-6K......that I've got $16K invested in, and a 1934 Harley Davidson that might be worth $40K when I'm ever done......that I've already busted $40K so far, and I'm not done.

I know from where I speak. Pride in accomplishment is certainly worth something.......just not to your bank.
Somethings are worth a lot more than just money.
I love my F4 SENNA much more than its "resale value."

#10 ·
I currently own a 1971 Datsun 240Z that is worth maybe $5-6K......that I've got $16K invested in, and a 1934 Harley Davidson that might be worth $40K when I'm ever done......that I've already busted $40K so far, and I'm not done.

I know from where I speak. Pride in accomplishment is certainly worth something.......just not to your bank.

#13 ·
Brave Spartakus for what I guess You are considering, I would go with Rob as well. If it should be something rideable in kind of a sporty manner and should cost less than 10.000$, than I think You can"t get anything other than a 350. Everything else from the years before is quite down on power. And it doesn't matter much if You will choose an early 350B, a 350B Elettronica or a Tipo 216. They are all quite similar in performance. I have further the feeling that there are quite some 350B / BE on the market and that there are still quite some bits and pieces available. However to make it a cafe racer requires not to much of an investment since You will need only a few pieces. Than again You can keep the original parts as spares or sell them to finance the racer parts. To get a complete restored 350 nowadays will likely get You over the budget. In case of a twin MV I would go for a not so great example and restore it myself. A 350 with patina is likely to be found for something way below 10.000. Any way I wish You good luck and hope to welcome You any when soon in the classic MV club.

#14 ·
H, on a completely different subject..................I have just watched the movie which is your avatar :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf: what a hoot :smoking::smoking::smoking: particulary the start where Ago is racing the Lambo (surprised it didnt catch fire:naughty::naughty::naughty:) dubbed four cylinder (he was on a twin) classic movie:jsm::jsm::jsm::jsm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.