MV Agusta Forum banner

Rossi rumoured move !!

12K views 145 replies 43 participants last post by  kelsodeez 
#1 ·
#43 ·
I don't think Casey is weak minded, but he was dealt some blows at Ducati, one by Marlboro wanting Lorenzo, after Casey won them their first world title. Unfortunately he didn't win any more for them.

If he was weak minded he would have taken more influence from his sponsor/bosses and not just done what he wanted to, no?

Michael Scott is a MotoGP reporter who implied the same in the Movie "Fastest" a MotoGP doco.

It's all opinions. I am a Casey fan, and I do think Vale's ego may have outgrown him. As Casey has said, to Rossi "maybe your ambition outweighed your talent". I do also like Hayden & it would be good to see him win some over Valentino.

Most of all I'm just looking forward to a good year, Colin Edwards will find SOMETHING & battle around 8th spot, then look forward to the contract negotiations between all the riders.

And also look forward to report's of MV testing their bikes with Alstare for a return to racing in 2013???????

#46 ·
I have great respect for Valentino Rossi, as I have for anyone who races motorcycles. So perhaps he could leave Ducati this year. Then retire, then go to race cars, then come back at the Isle of man after lets say a number of years and win on a Ducati. now thats a plan, Or did I dream it?
Casey Stoner complained that Ducati werent getting him the parts in 2010 the bike may have been a dog then but that didnt stop him pushing it very very hard.

#47 ·
I have just heard that Ferrari have taken Rossi from Audi for 20,000,000 euros and a doorway stand at motor shows for Audi. Also Audi have told Ducati that they must start to produce a moped again and stop wasting money on Moto GP So perhaps we will see Rossi in a car for 2014. As anyone else heard this ?

#50 ·
Was Rossi even in the race or is Ducati that screwed up? Nicki Started out very good then fell back. It is so bad they went to commercial before Rossi even crossed the finish line.

#57 ·
Boring is to much to say , but.....great it is not.
Moto gp is mostly the same , first 6 laps nice great , then everyone setlled.
Go get a coffee between lap 5 and 18 , then last 3 laps exciting :)

And YES , we all love Cal , he had the fastest lap of the race and that on a non factory bike , that is superb.

Can maybe you Americans shed a light at what,s happening with Ben Spies , I like the bloke but atm .....

#58 ·
I thought it was better than usual for MotoGP's, good on Cal, that was a great job considering how much more weight he carries compared to Danny. Those Honda's are FAST.
Loved the mad backing it into the corners during the Moto2 racing, one day when I'm big I want to ride like that.

#59 ·
I thought it was better than usual for MotoGP's, good on Cal, that was a great job considering how much more weight he carries compared to Danny. Those Honda's are FAST.
Loved the mad backing it into the corners during the Moto2 racing.
+1

Cal Crutchlow lives just up the road from me, I've seen more fat on a cold chip!!
Pedrosa is petite however.​

#69 · (Edited)
Listen guys I realize people tend to have short term memory about this sort of thing, but let's try to remember for a moment how much the sport itself (not just the bikes) but the sport itself has changed over the last few years. It used to be that the rider as the sportsman on top of the bike had a large say so on how well he could manage and tame the bikes power to the best of his abilities, in large part determining the outcome of the race and eventually the series. Now it's very different.. At this point now the CPU programmer in the paddock likely has more say so or impact on the final outcome of a race then the rider himself does.

I realize as well what people's expectations tend to be for their heros and how everyone assumes or naturally expects Rossi to always be able to pull the preverbal rabbit out of his ass every time he gets on the bike. Why? because for the most part he always has and has very rarely disappointed us, but I think the part people are neglecting to realize is how much the "sport" has changed and just how much of an effect all of the "rider-aids" have had both on the package and on the sport itself.

In others words people just assume that Rossi is being difficult or is somehow spoiled now in some way when he looks for, and or even needs for the bike to be set-up to perform in a certain way now. But if you think back at his career that wasn't his usual style or a usual issue for him at all. I think this is just further indication of how important the package has become in the sport now and how much of the entire "sport" is based off of it currently.. Before It used to be, at least in motorcycle racing that the rider could in large part make up for shortcomings on the bike and may have in turn counted in large part to the overall team's possible success rate, which Rossi had one of the all time best track records at being able to do, but the unfortunate reality of the situation now is that in large part it is the package and all the electronics associated with it that are ultimately determining most of this outcome now- less of a human sport now and more and more a electronic sport involved.

Looked at Hayden- People seem to have rediscovered the guy lately and know him now as a great hard working rider. For me I always did and had always voiced that opinion of him. He hasn't always been the priority in some of the teams he has been a part of in the past and therefore not always given the best support with his ride, but he has always stayed humble, determined and focused and done the very best he can with whatever he has been given at the moment. This is all well and good. All commendable traits on his part and back when he won the championship many years ago all things that help make it possible to achieve, but now I think not so much. Mainly because again now the package is so much more important to the enviable results and with it the riders are becoming less of a overal factor.
We all should have seen this coming I assume- right? In fact if you noticed despite the rather stronger results he has been able to manage on the Ducati lately he was held back tremendously in this last race.. why? by what?.. a failure within his GPS navigated traction control/engine management system, for which had been effected by some type of radio interference (whatever got us here guys and where we go from here I'll will never know) making the bike nearly impossible to ride and him thankful to have been able to finish the race at all - It's that serious.

Casey Stoner- Yes Stoner is doing great now on the greatest Honda generated motorcycle computer-robotic system ever made by man, for which not only knows exactly what position it is on in track, on the line it should or should not be on in terms of planned and executed trajectory for the turns, but also has the all-around best engine, chassis, suspension, ecu, gps, engine management systems ever assembled. That plus the top Hp, transmission and shift package in all of Gp, but also actually has a double clutch type auto transfer transmission system that carries and therefore holds the momentums of the current gear throughout the entire shift process until the next gear is fully picked up and engaged not to allow it to lose even a nano second of drive through the gears (every shift) etc.. type things that you can't even imagine at this point. Prior to that he was a big mess on the Ducati who couldn't keep the thing off the floor and fell more then he finished the last couple of years on the bike, usually in the first few laps of the race, if not before or even during the warm up lap and all of these questionable results is when the Ducati still had a sizable horsepower advantage or before Ducati had changed over their bikes chassis design to something resembling a carbon fiber shoe box.

I think Kenny Robert junior hit it pretty square on the head when he was trying to explain just how hard it was 10years ago to make up for a prototype gp bikes shortcomings back then (10yrs ago) when the mega buck $$ computer electronic systems hadn't yet fully taken hold of the entire sport yet. You can just imagine what these teams and their riders are dealing with now, or how much harder and more complex it all must be to sort out, never mind if you messed up a design on something as important as your given chassis design, which is of course after all the bases for all of your other settings (ouch) and then have to start all over again from there - big task to say the very least, especially when your competitors are fast moving ahead without stepping on their on @icks).

I don't think in this situation Ducati has too much to be mad at Rossi about and only have themselves to blame for the reverse engineering situation they find themselves in now, having gone so badly off in the wrong direction earlier on and now obviously finding themselves trying to play catch up to all things imaginable (never a good thing but especially bad in this sport now). In fact if you think about it I feel for Rossi more then anyone else- who at the twilight of his lustrous career finds himself boxed out of yet another opportunity to galvanize that career and the legend he had created for himself and his teams earlier on.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2012/Apr/120413-1046.htm (link provided originally by Frenaugo)

PK/MV1

#71 ·
I think Rossi,s record speaks for itself. I am not being funny but can anyone tell me why most Road racers dont do so well on a short circuit. I have a quote from Mick Grant about Joey Dunlop. "If all the circuits where papered over with stone effect wallpaper he would be unbeatable", I am really intrested to know what you think?

#72 · (Edited)
It's a matter of who has the best gizmo's and gadgets attached to their bike now, rather than who maybe the better rider with the most ability and while I believe this may have always been a factor of some degree before I don't believe it was ever so clear or so apparent as it is now, or as impactful to the sport as a whole as it is now.

This is kind of what you end up with when you allow one or two of the biggest most power manufactures involved to dictate what direction the sport should go in instead of the teams or the spectators that contribute and buy into it.

If I were Rossi I may give it another year or two to see what happens or if anything changes in terms of the rules, but then I would really start strongly consider retiring from there and call it a career at this point- while I was still ahead and can retire safe in the knowledge of what I had accomplished when I did, where and when it mattered most, before the sport became the non-spectacle it has become now.

Many of the other players, teams and even major manufactures involved previously have already quit or walked away at this point as a result of the current situation which is partly why there's no more Suzuki's or Kawasaki's on the grid anymore if you haven't noticed and why the racing has become so damn boring now. This is also why the organization itself is now forced to use fillers CRT bikes to fill increasingly shallow grids and why we are forced to watch more and more prosessionary (boring-ass) racing week after week instead of the epic type racing battles that many of us had become accustom to prior. My local trackday has far more passing and or racing opportunites at this point.

Basically I watch WSB now when I want to see some real racing action and in some ways (many ways actually) it's even better- because these guys are the real deal number one and are riding on bikes that at least resemble what we can actually buy at the show room and be able to ride ourselves as a normal, regular, everyday riders and as a fan of the sport you can't beat it becuase these guys actually race each other (yeah remember that concept) and are on less robotic type bikes while doing so- so suprize, suprise all of this obviously adds both the appeal of the sport as well to the actual racing action tacking place before you.

#74 · (Edited)
Hard to say how Guy Martin will fare at the TT......
Personally I do hope he does do well as he is a real 'character' and a talented road rider.....however there are 'others' on lesser machinery who get much, much less publicity and are able to 'deliver'.
John mc Guinness for example is a 17 time TT winner....and gets less mentioned than 'TT legend' Guy Martin who has yet to win??.
Michael Dunlop, Hutchy, Gary Johnston, Ryan Farquhar, Cameron Donald, Bruce Anstey et al are all TT winners (most multiple winners)..and some 'privateers' (William Dunlop and Cameron Donald will be on Wilson Craig's Hondas) (Farquhar will be on his own bike KMR Kawasaki) ( Michael Dunlop will be on Winston Mc Adoo's bike along with a Honda and 600 Suzuki of his own) Of course there will be the Honda legends bikes for Mc Guinness and 'Padgett's bikes for Anstey etc
Guy is on a 'factory suzuki'(Tyco) this year again...as he was last year.....but who knows???
Brian.

#81 ·
Envy again at you lot on the IoM. I remember early morning practice well. We used to lived on the Glencrutchery Road and there is nothing like being woken at about 06.45 by the sound of a superbike at full chat on its first flying lap!

As for Guy Martin, I think the bloke is a breath of fresh air, in professional sport that is so often sovocated by politics, media and pre-madonas.

Please do not get me wrong, I am not referring to Road Racing. This is still 'grass roots' from my way of thinking, populated by real racing fanatics.

It is just nice to see the likes of Martin, McGuiness, Hutchinson, Dunlop to name but a few following in the footsteps of their fore fathers, who having acheived stardom in the eyes of the fans, remain level headed and keep the spirit of the event at their hearts whilst respecting what really motivates the fans who love thier sport.

Personally I am a great fan of his and I hope that Guy wins a TT fair and square and finally gets that monkey off his back. He is a man who doesn't recognise his fame and appears to remember where it all started for him.

What you see is what you get with Guy Martin, but we have seen many before him in other areas of sport who have been recognised as heroic but never achieved thier ultimate goals and sometimes I fear he might one day try too hard.

I will be following his and the others progress keenly over the next couple of weeks. I hope the weather remains fair for all of you over there.

Dave

#86 ·
Hayden a better rider than Rossi? :banghead:

#83 ·
You will find that a number of people (in this thread) have commented about Rossi being seemingly unable to get to grips and adapting to the Ducati. Below is one of my earlier observations..

"He (Rossi) just does not seem to be able to ride around the problems he is having like Haydon and Stoner can/could?"

As for Hayden being the "better" rider for Ducati that is presumably you personal opinion as the results speak for themselves with Rossi toping Hayden last year and currently again this year in the table.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.