MV Agusta Forum banner

Problem with Marzocchi Fork Coating on 910R

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Fishguts 
#1 ·
While on the subject of Marzocchi forks, has anyone had the following problem. I just had a 6,500klm service done on my 2007 Brutale Corse. The fork seals had to be replaced because some fine rust ( like spiderweb) had formed on the base of the fork and as it slid up and down it damaged the seal and began leaking. Yes I live near the sea, but bike always garaged and polished. No rust anywhere else. I've always lived in this area and owned plenty of bikes but never has the shiny piston part of any forks rusted. I thought the shiny black metal on the Marzocchi forks was some super space age metal. NOT SO. The problem only going to get worse and will cost a bomb to fix. And before you suggest going back to dealer or importer both went broke re GFC a couple of years. Anyone heard of this rust problem???

#3 ·
I'll try and get a photo. You can feel it as it is slightly raised. The service guys tried to scrape it off but it will obviously come back. It is at the base so it would only damage the forks at full compression. I am actually surprised the forks compress that much, even under heavy braking but maybe a couple of sloppy landings after a wheelie has done it. At least you reckon I can get them re coated. Do you know who does that? Is it through a dealer? Thanks for your help

#8 ·
Has no rust on mine , but they started leaking and legs where run in :(
Altough the bike was serviced every 6 months. Where only 9000 km on bike when the leak was there.
Just had a bad dealer , i learned later.
Bought new fork at ebay for 585 €
Hope you find a solution , sometimes Carl (cag) has one lying around ;)

#11 ·
Thanks for all the feed back. Obviously a rare problem but not a one off. Maybe same sleepy Italian worker at the Marzocchi factory or a flaw in a few batches while applying the black coating.
Thanks for the ebay site Donsy. So excuse my ignorance but are the Marzocchi forks on an F4 the same as the 2007 910R Brute.
Also like the look of those gold coatings so a few options.
Getting the forks off the bike isn't a problem but stripping them down and rebuilding them makes me nervous. If I don't touch any spring, damper, rebound settings is it a fairly easy procedure or will I have to play around lots to get the setting right. Still factory set up.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the feed back. Obviously a rare problem but not a one off. Maybe same sleepy Italian worker at the Marzocchi factory or a flaw in a few batches while applying the black coating.
Thanks for the ebay site Donsy. So excuse my ignorance but are the Marzocchi forks on an F4 the same as the 2007 910R Brute.
Also like the look of those gold coatings so a few options.
Getting the forks off the bike isn't a problem but stripping them down and rebuilding them makes me nervous. If I don't touch any spring, damper, rebound settings is it a fairly easy procedure or will I have to play around lots to get the setting right. Still factory set up.
They will fit mate.
And yes, if you strip the forks, you do mess with the springs etc, so make sure you are well pre-pared if you want to do it yourself.

#13 ·
Thanks for that Donsy
I'm fairly handy with tools but I haven't really looked at the total job yet. Not real confidant (no experience) with that front suspension geometry stuff. If I do it, my first ride back may be my last but I'll have a look at it. I guess get the wallet out no matter what way I go. Must say, pretty pissed off given the reputation and big noting about having Marzocchi forks on the MV's like they're the Ferrari of forks. They may be a great fork but quality flaws in coatings just shouldn't happen in this era and given the price it's very dissappointing. Bloody Italians, Love em and loathe em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.