MV Agusta Forum banner

Touring on the F3

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  ACT MV 
#1 ·
Hi, I was wondering anyone has done some long runs on the F3 with a decent sized load ??

The reason I ask is that I finally got to see one in the flesh (and omg how sweet are they), but I was left wondering how the rear subframe would take the weight of a ventura rack/bag setup

It looks really light back there and as some of the rides I would do would be in excess of 2000k's in a week on some rough-ish australian roads I'd get a fair workout.

Tossing up between one of these and an 848 early next year . . oh the dilemma (I love the v twins you see)

Cheers

#2 ·
Hi,
I did a 650km each way return ride recently. The bike was plenty comfortable.

I used Oxford throwover sports bags on the rear, attached to the rear foot peg hangers. I placed soft cloth over the rear panels to protect them from scuffing which worked fine. These expandable bags carry a decent amount but I can't see a Ventura type luggage frame being fitted to a F3.

#6 ·
You sir are a stronger man than i. The iron maiden Killed me nethers over 1200kms in 2 days.

But rest assured the rear subframe could easily take a large Sheila and a weekends luggage.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App
Ha sorry, my bad. I meant I did a long weekend away trip- not there and back in ONE day! Well done you doing 1200kms in 2 days.

I do an annual four or five days around the South Island of NZ every December. That's serious non-stop riding for days so it will test my 52 y.o bum. Actually, it's more across my shoulders I find get sore. The beauty of our South Island is the roads are heaven made for sports bikes. I don't see the F3 being any less comfortable than other bikes I've toured on, such as the D675 and CBR1000RR. In fact I reckon it is more roomy than the D675.

Back to the luggage. Yeah, I agree the rear looks like it could take the weight. I don't like the ugly look of top boxes and Ventura packracks and the throwover saddle bags keep the COG weight lower.

#4 ·
Cheers, I do have some sports bags , but only the side ones . . I'll check the Oxford ones out for the top unit

Glad to hear the subframe would be strong enough, though no shiela large or small will be on the back .. Mine tells me how to drive a car every 10 mins, I cant imagine how'd she be on two wheels

#8 ·
I'm going to do a 500 mile trip up to Daytona on Sunday. I picked up a set of saddle bags on Amazon for $47 (apparently on a huge sale) to haul my camera gear and such. I had to get creative with the mount since the tail tapers so much but, I'm pretty happy with the setup so far! I'll post some better photos when I pull the bike out of my shop tomorrow.

#9 ·
Looks good. Just make sure the bags do not scratch your tail.

I am using the MV tail bag, it small, but decent sized for a weekend ride. Can easily hold a jeans, 1-2 tees and toiletries.

#13 ·
Tourer F3

I am not sure I would use 'touring' & F3 in the same sentence but hey after seeing Mshermanator (member here) amazingly tour on his F4 along Australian mud roads fully loaded covering insane distances in a single weekend - I guess I now subscribe to "never say never" :)

People do the most amazing things & if they get a blast from it all the better :)

Good luck with whatever you decide. :yo:

#14 ·
Touring on the F3: Yesterday I rode from Canberra to Thredbo (to link up with some mates doing the snowy ride). From Thredbo we did the Khancoban, Cabramurra, Adaminaby Cooma twisties loop - which is a great ride, highly recommend it (although watch out for the police hiding in bushes, literally) - then back down the highway to Canberra. I finished with a Cotter loop, which for those of you not from Canberra is the standard hoon twistie back road loop here.

All up the ride was around 650 - 700Km (about 40 miles - I think), by the time I got home standing was a bit of a problem and I don't think I knew my name.. So based on that there is no way i would recommend touring on an F3 ..

Having said that can't wait to do it again IT WAS GREAT:f4::mouthwate:mouthwate

#16 ·
That kilometre to mile conversion leaves a bit to be desired :laughing: (sorry I couldn't resist) :eek:

I reckon I am pretty fit (certainly bike fit) - I recently (October long weekend) did a 350km run around the Victorian high country on the F3 in a day & I can't say I would have relished another 300Kms on that day.

Trouble standing & you couldn't remember your name? I reckon you did great! :yo: I'd be happy with that :laughing:

The amazing part is that while you are swishing through those roads any pain/discomfort you may be feeling is immediately anaesthetised by the ride of the bike & sound of the engine. :smoking: Just a little later is a problem :eek:

#15 ·
I hope to go "touring" on my F3.

Me and some pals take 5 or 6 days a year and head out to some cool place. This year the ride took us from home in British Columbia (Canada, for the geometry challenged) through Washington State (still snow on the US20 - North Cascades Pass), Idaho and along Lolo Pass eventually winding up in Big Fork Montana. Never more than 400 miles a day, and lots of stops for food (we eat GOOD on these trips). I have Kreiga 20l and 10l waterproof bags, never let me down.

I've also taken my Street Triple for 13 hours straight - about 750 miles in a day - on my way to California two years ago. That's probably too much time on any bike for a day (unless you're an Iron Butt-er like one of our riding friends). I'm hoping 300 miles for a week would be doable.

Now if the bike is reliable enough for this sort of thing.... That's another question.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.