MV Agusta Forum banner

2013 F4 on order- exhaust options?

6K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  Donsy 
#1 ·
first of all hello everyone.
I have just ordered a 2013 standard F4 and am trying to anticipate what to do when It gets here. I have read a lot about fueling issues and flat spots in power and was wondering if the main culprit is the exhaust.

There are no factory pipe up fits available from MV yet and I do like the organ style exhaust instead of the round pipes. We where discussing options of a mid pipe, head pipe and mid pipe, or a full exhaust once it comes out.

I guess I am trying to find out if getting rid of the cat and flapper will make a gain in consistent power, an increase in DB and should I ride for 500 or so miles first?

Thank you for any help.
Jeff

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum Jeff

I have not seen any test on the 2013 F4's as yet, nor read anything about the fueling, so can't help you there. Where did you see these comments?

I would say wait till you have the bike, do some miles on it first, at least till the first service, before buying anything.

When the Y10 F4's came out, lot's of guys bought the expensive RG4's only to find they are hardly any lighter than the OE pipes and a terrible waste of money for most people.

#4 ·
Exhaust MY2013

As far as the fueling I have not heard of it on any 13's and am going off of the 2010-2012 reviews. I imagine there is no difference on the 13's as far as the fueling, but I may be wrong.
I think I have about a two month wait for the bike and am just kind of wondering if the exhaust un corks what the bike is supposed to be and if its worth the whopping $4200 US dollars the want for it, plus the ECU. the older (2010)exhaust was around 3k with about another 6 for the ECU.
My dealer had mentioned an option of a mid pipe that removes the Cat and Exhaust flapper and kind of eases things up and you save money not paying for the slip on which on an MV is a work of art and a huge part of what makes the bike unique.
I am trying to get a feel if it is that necessary because of cost or if it just a said "waste of money" because the stock exhaust looks fine to me. Flat spots are not what I want, as my current bike goes to 13,000 rpms predictable and as smooth as velvet.
I have the Carbon front fender and a seat (black and black suede sides with red stitching) on order from MV that would look Very cool on the Standard.
:f4:

Thanks for any advise or direction,
Jeff

#10 ·
As far as the fueling I have not heard of it on any 13's and am going off of the 2010-2012 reviews. I imagine there is no difference on the 13's as far as the fueling, but I may be wrong.
I think I have about a two month wait for the bike and am just kind of wondering if the exhaust un corks what the bike is supposed to be and if its worth the whopping $4200 US dollars the want for it, plus the ECU. the older (2010)exhaust was around 3k with about another 6 for the ECU.
My dealer had mentioned an option of a mid pipe that removes the Cat and Exhaust flapper and kind of eases things up and you save money not paying for the slip on which on an MV is a work of art and a huge part of what makes the bike unique.
I am trying to get a feel if it is that necessary because of cost or if it just a said "waste of money" because the stock exhaust looks fine to me. Flat spots are not what I want, as my current bike goes to 13,000 rpms predictable and as smooth as velvet.
I have the Carbon front fender and a seat (black and black suede sides with red stitching) on order from MV that would look Very cool on the Standard.
:f4:

Thanks for any advise or direction,
Jeff
Jeff
Are you sure you're getting a 2013 model and not a 2012 sold in 2013.
There are massive changes from 2012 going into 2013 as already mentioned.

Where are you located?

I have not seen, and I just looked on MV italy site, exhaust options for the 2013 bikes, I imagine the headers and mid-pipe might be the same, but tailpipes and ECU will be completely different.

#5 ·
Jeff...

If you are thinking about removing the 2013 muffler assembly, I will buy it off you. I like the look way better than what came stock on my 2010 F4 and think it should fit just fine. Perhaps, help offset the cost of whatever you might put on the bike if you go down the route.

#6 ·
I can't speak for the new ones of course but in my experience replacing the exhaust definitely made a difference but the best and biggest difference is instead of exhaust getting an ecu with a proper tune on it.

#11 ·
First of all thank you for the video post. Very cool.

- there are no current mv exhaust systems avail but we looked up the 12 pricing and it seemed high. I am getting a new out of the crate, be here in two months, 2013 with the sweet new wheels in all white. On my original post I did mention no changes to the engine but ride by wire will be totally different and with all of the reviews reporting flat power at certain rpms on 12's I would imagine or hope they have addressed it. In the video it sounded very smooth.

I live in Shelby Twp Michigan and TTM Ducati is my dealer. I Sell Cadillac's and ironically enough hate pushy sales people. They are AWESOME, speak my language and have been very helpful. (so far 50% of the reason I like this bike). I usually buy barely used because if I have to deal with incompetence and then get fee'd to death I would rather buy from someone with OCD like me. These guys have made it an experience instead of a purchase. They where on the bonnville team (Bob Leppan) and have a history of selling "better motorcycles"

I was just wondering if I NEED to get an exhaust to wake it up because I have never been on an MV but i will have to wait anyways until MV has an offering.

I do however like the idea of an ECU with proper dyno tuning and my dealer has a sweet dyno. Any ideas on a brand of ECU they like and which ones are shit. I suppose with all new electrics and drive by wire it's only a matter of time before the new wiz bang one comes out but I only know power commander riding japanese bike. I am not familiar With who is big in the Italian ECU world.

Another question- MV or CRC does not have the rear stand pictured in the 13 reviews (the stamped and welded aluminum) anywhere for purchase and I liked that one the best if I could get it. These do not come with stands anymore and if I am buying I would rather that one then the red steel one. Has anyone know where to go to get one?. My dealer I can not find.

#12 ·
Hahaha

Now that's better Jeff, now we know what you're talking about also.
Look, like others have said before me, wait till you have the bike, ride it till at least the first service, and make sure we get to see some pictures.

There is one of those MV Corse stands up for grabs in the "For Sale" section, not cheap mate.

The ECU can not be tuned, in general, by your awerage dyno equiped guy, once again wait to see what come's your way.
The tail pipes are not too much of an restriction, and to replace the headers and mid-pipe, to get rid of the cat and exhaust valve is pretty straight forward, but you will need he
Race ECU" from MV.

#15 ·
Now that's better Jeff, now we know what you're talking about also.
Look, like others have said before me, wait till you have the bike, ride it till at least the first service, and make sure we get to see some pictures.

There is one of those MV Corse stands up for grabs in the "For Sale" section, not cheap mate.

The ECU can not be tuned, in general, by your awerage dyno equiped guy, once again wait to see what come's your way.
The tail pipes are not too much of an restriction, and to replace the headers and mid-pipe, to get rid of the cat and exhaust valve is pretty straight forward, but you will need he
Race ECU" from MV.
I am going to be checking with Rob's Dyno out here today. Rob and Doug have come up with programming to tune the 5SM ECU.

Dons is correct that most Dyno guys can't do it...yet. Let me ssee where the programming stands as I have a 5SM Race ECU for a Brutale 1090RR that will need some help.

#17 ·
Who's this one by Dons?

#18 ·
MV Exhaust

Thanks for all of the input. I am excited and this forum is very helpful. ONce it gets in I will run it for a few and I feel my dealer will be able to at that time get what i need.
Thanks also for the postive response on just changing the mid pipe and ECU. I thinks that the way to go if anything. the stock exhaust is kick ass looking.
I will get pictures up one it gets in.
My delaer has agreed to let me uncrate it (and tkae the crate) and the fun part is the wait. My life is based on instant gratification so this is a change and the anticipation is killing me.

Thank for the help thus far. i will get pictures up (with a crobar opeing the crate), hopefully sooner than later.
Thank you all.:f4:Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.