MV Agusta Forum banner

Zard F3 system

10K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  nl38 
#1 ·
Comments... information on this item? There are some nice bits on this bike as well...!

See less See more
#2 ·
That bike was on the Zard stand at the recent Euro bike show.

More photos here.
Personally I find Zard systems too loud in general. Here in Canada they are cracking down on aftermarket up grades and noise pollution. We also have problems at many of the racing tracks with having to meet sound requirements nearly as strict as for on road use.
I have come to like the triple pipe look and am anxiously awaiting a performance replacement that retains that feature. I may go MVista’s route and just modify the stock muffler.

#8 ·
I'm happy that some of you like this Zard system, but, for me, its design takes the F3 in the Japanese 600 direction. Why would you want to eliminate one of the most iconic design elements of this bike (the 3-pipe exhaust) and cover a portion of the rear wheel that was exposed with the SSSA?

I'll wait until the Aftermarket does this right - a lighter and less-restrictive muffler reprising the 3-pipe outlet design.

#9 ·
Most of us that are looking at this system, are seeking more performance. If there were a 3 tip system that reduced as much weight and gave the kind of HP that Zard is known for, then I would consider it as well. I believe the styling of the rest of the bike will make it obvious who the manufacturer is.... sans an "iconic" exhaust.

#10 ·
If the Zard "floats your boat", go for it. It does look slightly better than the Arrow system, but not nearly as nice as the stock exhaust to my eyes. I think you are being somewhat disingenuous, however, as the best performance value is not with an MV, but with the Japanese 600s, if that's really what you want.

#12 ·
:brutale:

No, I'm pretty sure what I want. I didn't say anything. " disingenious". I intent to race my F3 and I believe it will be more than a match for anything in the class.... Japanese or otherwise. I didn't buy this bike to sit in a parking lot at the local bike nite. I enjoy modifing bikes and cars to increase performance. The true test is on the track..... maximum gain is more important to me (and other on this thread) than having 3 exhaust outlets.

#13 ·
You presume I'm all about aesthetics and that would be partially true - the MV design changed my purchase from a 675R to the F3 based mostly on looks; however, I also like performance improvements. My '99 900SS had some $10,000 invested in that direction when I first bought it almost 13 years ago - magnesium wheels, CF bodywork (including fuel tank), uprated suspension and brakes, 944 kit, etc, resulting in a 50# weight reduction and another 18 RWHP. After many years of ownership, several track days and 28,000 miles I still ride it and like it.

Hey, I wish you luck with racing the MV. I, too, think it'll do OK and even better as more racing parts become available (WSS should help with that). I was racing a Ducati Pantah in the mid-'80s when that brand was fighting to survive, but it all worked out (two national championships in AMA "Battle of the Twins").

I understand your pursuit of performance for the F3. I just wish some exhaust company would retain the 3-pipe outlet design.

#20 ·
We have one track in the area that has a restriction... 98 db. The other track pays racers extra to go without the muffler for the "Shootout" race!

If you do find an exhaust that you like (one that is re-build-able) but it is still too loud, you can use this packing called "Silcosoft" to quiet it down some. Stuff is amazing! Lasts forever!

#21 ·
As I stated in my first reply, Here in Canada they are cracking down on aftermarket up grades and noise pollution. We also have problems at many of the racing tracks with having to meet sound requirements nearly as strict as for on road use.” Here are the actual requirements for one of the newest and quickly becoming most favourite tracks in Ontario. Notice how the max readings vary between cars and motorcycles and the different tests.
Get use to this because it’ll be coming to a track near you sooner rather than later. :wtf:

All Participants must adhere to the mandatory noise restriction of 92 dB or lesser without exception. Calabogie Motorsports Park will measure noise levels of ALL vehicles and/or equipment prior to being granted access to the track.
In today’s Motorsport activities, sound management a joint task shared by all members including tracks, clubs, participants, promoters and even fans. As an established motorsports facility, Calabogie Motorsports Park (CMP) has imposed its own noise guidelines, testing procedures and maximums to ensure CMP creates a favorable environment for all.

Screening Test – After a brief visual muffler check, a stationary test is undertaken. Sound levels will be measured 15 feet in front and behind the vehicle while the engine is revved at the maximum allowable rpm or the red line of the tachometer.

-Cars, the average should be no more than 100 dbA with no single reading over 104 dbA.
-Motorcycles, the average should be no more than 98 dbA with no single reading over 100 dbA.

Pass-by Test – With the vehicle under full acceleration on the track, a reading will be taken from 50 feet. The maximum level allowed is 92 dbA. This level and standard is the most commonly used in North America and Europe and is where the entire industry is headed. Tests are valid for 9 months unless modifications to vehicle are made.

Cars and motorcycles that do not meet the noise criteria in the pass-by test will be black flagged and will not be allowed to run until modifications have been made and a re-test performed to ensure compliance with the guidelines. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure their vehicle meets the noise restrictions that Calabogie Motorsports Park has in place.

http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/track/rules-regulations/

#25 ·
The way it was explained to me was that motorcycles produce a higher pitched noise which travels further. Therefore the lower limit means that sound readings taken at a specific distance outside of the track should be the same regardless what is happening on track.
This whole issue of noise levels was as a result of a hand full of cottage owners complaining to the ministry in an attempt to stop the building of the track. They tried a number of different tacks including loss of wildlife habitat and devalued properties. In the end it came down to noise. Calabogie Motorsports had to comply with a list of restrictions and design modifications including the construction of noise deflecting berms.

#26 ·
I believe this system is miles better than the arrow, and as far as low mounted small can systems go, one of the best I've ever seen. However, I too still like the stock pipes better. Besides I wouldn't want to purchase an aftermarket exhaust, especially full, without the proper ECU upgrade in place to go with it. So I'll wait till some company comes out with a good ECU upgrade/flash device/or what have you...and maybe by then a company will have also created an aftermarket exhaust that mocks the original.

#29 · (Edited)
Interested to see Design Corse have a price on this system as its not even been sent to the UK importer yet! We have one on order to do a back to back test against the Arrow and against our new system which is basically a set of stock headers with everything changed from the rear of the EXUP valve back but still looks the same 3 pipes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.