MV Agusta Forum banner

MV RIVALE uffffff

26K views 72 replies 28 participants last post by  Milk 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I don't like the Ducati Diablo rear end tail. Nor the rear plate holder. Hope that is far from the actual bike.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Except for the number plate holder, I quite like it. MV needs something in that market I think.
Dons, I agree that they need to be in the Super Motard / Adventure bike market, but I'm hoping it will look more like some of the other rumored looks. Supposedly the Ducati Hypermotard is moving in design closer to the Multistrada.

#9 ·
A little broad shouldered.

#12 ·
Still undecided on it, that back end looks awful and the headlights make the bike look sad.

I hope it looks alot better in the flesh than the pictures.

#14 ·
Before MV release yet another motorcycle based on the 675 triple they need to rectify the issues with the existing F3 & B3 models. :cross:

#15 ·
Not 100% sure about these concept designs

Tri-cruiser looks an odd concept to me.. The front looks like a Basking Sharp focused on it's next plankton meal and the rear light unit looks like the Scream Mask..

The other concept bikes looks to similar to the Diavel, which isn't like MV to copy others..

MV's should be all about innovative motorcycle art and not keeping up with The Jones..

Maybe MV should concentrate on the 125cc and Scooter market ( and I don't mean the Griffon market Dave ;) ) with some new ground breaking designs..

This would bring new kids to the brand and hopefully get them hooked on the bigger bikes when they've passed their motorbike driving test..

Just Food for Thought.

#20 ·
....Hey...who you callin' "cruiser"...?

#27 ·
Am I the only one who thinks that this thing looks terrible ? Now I'm not a fan of such a bike anyway and so it it is might looking cool in the eyes of customers who like such things. Might it looks better in the flash and I hope it draws new customers into the MV Agusta showrooms.

#28 ·
This European Maxi-motard category is not known for distinguished design, so all MV really needed to do was exceed the styling of the Ducati Hypermotard, the KTM 990 Supermoto T, and the Aprilia Dorsoduro. The category has taken over as the new hooligan category that was created by the Ducati Monster in the 90's, with an attempt to offer some of the fun of the single cylinder lightweight supermotards.

I'm withholding judgement until I see it in person, but I really don't like the license plate holder behind the rear wheel, and the tail lights may be a little too Ducati Diavel looking for me. Yet, MV may have succeeded in out-styling the Hypermotard, KTM and Dorsoduro. :smoking:

#34 ·
C'mon guys. It's business. If you had a competitor (call them Ducati) that was making a market in a relatively new segment (call it Maxi Motards) with a product they were selling (call it a Hypermotard), and you had the opportunity to grow your market share by competing in that market segment, you'd do the same thing, or your board of directors would question your ability to grow the company.

The alternative would be to just build the same two bikes forever, stop growing, watch costs continue to increase while market share continues to erode because buyers potentially get bored with your two offerings.

It may not be your cup of tea, but I bet they sell and help MV grow.
It's a grow or die competitive landscape. With business being a cross between war and sport, you'd better play to win. :f4:

#35 · (Edited)
You made a few good points there. The unfortunate part is these two bikes are "me too" bikes and are just lifestyle accessories. They are ugly as hell and don't fit well into their current model lineup. I'm all for MV making more money on their bikes and think that the F3 is a great start at that. These bikes detract from the brand if anything.

The first MV I ever saw was an F4 and I HAD to have one. What would your impression of the MV Agusta brand be if the first MV you ever saw was one of these hideous lifestyle accessories? It may make them some money in the short term but what's the long term cost for that?

#36 · (Edited)
I have the same emotional history with MV as you. But I also know that the first Ducati I lusted after was the 916. Fortunately for Ducati it has survived to continue to make motorcycles that are loved by many. Though none since have been as beautiful or iconic as the 916, the company is more successful and more profitable than ever. And unlike many other Italian motorcycle manufacturers, they have survived and thrived. As an enthusiast for all things Italian I celebrate the success of MV Agusta and Ducati, and so I'm a bit biased in not being outwardly critical.

RIP to those Italian motorcycle manufacturers that could not innovate and offer products that could allow them to survive. Here's my collection of all that I know. How many can you count that are still viable?
Logo Slideshow: 61 Italian Motorcycle Manufacturers

#37 ·
I think the key is Business vs passion of the art. The Japanese motorcycle makers are very much business people. They crank out what sells regardless. Being a good business person does not create a great bike. Creating a great bike does not make you a good business person. Both positions have their strengths and weaknesses. Having a mix of both is a good thing.

The stark reality is things change and no product no matter how good it was will sell forever. MV has done quite well adapting the F4 to the changing times and keeping it quite competitive with what the rest of the industry is producing. I see these "lifestyle accessory" bikes as a direct threat to passion of the art. These bikes are all just about creating income not creating the best bike possible.

It all comes down to preference. Would you rather MV die a respectable death when the time comes? Or would you like to see them live on forever destroying their past reputation by cranking out watered down commodity lifestyle accessories?

It's certainly a hard choice either way.

#38 ·
As someone who hoped to one day own a Moto Morini, yet was deprived the opportunity, I choose to have MV make F4's for the foreseeable future. If they have to make some god awful looking bike they call Rivale along side in order to remain in business, so be it.

Yes, business vs. art is a difficult choice. :)

#39 ·
Certainly a fair choice. I'm still a bit undecided myself.

I viewed the F3 as a diversion that took away from the F4 at first but then I saw how the F3 brought in new people who never would have bought an F4 to begin and that changed my perception of the F3. I was a bit wrong about the F3. I still would buy the Triumph 675 though as I'm not as brave as the F3 owners out there. :)

Hopefully the new models will have the same effect. The Ducati reference is a good one. Bikes like the Multistrada have very little to do with the 916 but are still good bikes. The different types of Ducati buyers seem to blend well. Although that being said honestly there's not much in a Ducati showroom these days I would really want including the new 1199.

#40 ·
Valid point RChase, but that F3 is now causing revolt through the historical MV crowd by being a substandard production....like the 2010 and newer bikes. If you produce soemthing just to bring in new people to the brand, but you lose the vision and passionthat made the brand, you have done nothing but make money by destroying an icon.

I bought my MV becasue of what MV history had taught me.

Now, the loudest voices are the ones crying that MV sucks.....

#41 · (Edited)
I agree. The quality has to be there and even beyond quality the passion. I honestly fear that things may just get worse in the short term with the new models being introduced. Over their sheer ugliness and not doing anything more than a Brutale my main objection to the new models is the distraction away from the older models. The F3's have a ton of problems as do the newer F4's and MV's quickly introducing new stuff and seems to be ok with the old stuff having issues. That's just not acceptable. Take pride in the product you produce and stand up for your evangelists even if it costs you money in the long run. It takes years to build a reputation and just a few seconds shrugging when your customers bring you valid problems to destroy it. MV if your out there.... FISSARE LA F3 E F4 SUBITO!!!!!!

If I'm 100% honest as much as I love MV's there's no way I would consider anything they made after 2010 because of the quality issues. More than just stuff breaking (I have a Harley and a Range Rover so I'm quite used to breakage) they seem to be missing the love and passion that MV put into the previous bikes. That's the whole point of owning a slow, heavy Italian exotic like this. It's the passion that your buying not the speed. If your looking for speed you bought the wrong bike as the BMW S1000RR will easily leave you behind.

Speaking of passion. I'm reading Jezza Clarkson's "I Know You Got Soul". A very interesting read. I have a feeling that if Jezza did not hate motorbikes as much as he does he would completely fall in love with one of the older F4's. I have not completely finished it so you never know Jezza may surprise me with a blurb about the F4. Knowing him probably the Tamburini or the CC. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.