MV Agusta Forum banner

To purchase or to create a track bike... that is the question

21K views 120 replies 31 participants last post by  MV Arthur 
#1 ·
So I want to go ride at the track.

I have already acquired the correct apparel, but now I need a bike. I don't really want to track the MV, because the anguish, were I to lay it down, might prove to be too much for me to handle like a man:bawling:
I have a Honda '05 CBR 1000rr Repsol edition that I love to look at. I fell in love with the Repsol replicas in Europe way back, and snatched one up in '05 and I would loathe getting rid of it. My original plan was to take the plastics and wheels off of it and turn it into a track bike. I figured if I ever really wrecked it I could just buy another used 05 1000rr and put the Repsol kit back on it.
BUT, after owning the MV, the Italian styling got to me and I really want to own Ducati now, but my wife has stayed pretty adamant about me not having a 3rd bike for a couple of more years under threat of physical harm :thewife:to my body, unleashed on me upon purchase of said third bike.

I got online and started pricing out some of the things that it would take to turn the CBR into a decent track bike and realized that the it was going to be pretty costly. I thought about how you never get your accessories out of a bike when you sell it and I began to look at EBAY and the WERA Classified sections at used track bikes, where there are anything from amateur built 600's to full AMA race team 1000's. used but going for decent prices, even a few Ducati's...

So my dilemma is this, Do I:

A. go ahead with the CBR track bike build and spend the money on it, slowly changing it over over a length of time, and in a few years, when the cash purchase of the MV has worn off of my wife's bitching list, buy a Ducati for the street,

or

B. Do I sell the CBR, and an extra set of stock MV F4 fairings that I have, and put that, and the money I would spend upgrading it, into a used Ducati 848 or 1099 track bike that has already been built up, and maybe in a few years get something else as a third bike. (did someone say Aprilia?:naughty:)

Am I asking for trouble buying a used track bike? i.e.: engine and maintenance of a bike that was ridden hard and possibly crashed?
I have always babied my CBR, and while it has 7500 miles, I don't plan on riding to its limits on the track, just casual track days, and feel it would stay reliable for some years to come.
I see some of these used race bikes for a good price with lots of upgrades and only a few thousand miles on the clock, and i think "whats the catch?"

Thanks for any advice in advance,

Ian

See less See more
#2 ·
Neither the CBR1000 Repsol nor the MV are good 'first time' track bikes. The CBR shock will heat up after about 7 laps, you'll need an Ohlins, plus the bike is simply too fast to learn track riding on.....MV will handle beautifully if you've set it up but again too fast for a first time track-bike....buy something else, maybe an SV650

#4 ·
Chris is right......and SV50s are very reliable bikes and dirt cheap. Heck, a year ago you could have bought mine with spares galore, track stands, brand new tires and and all the best upgrades for a whopping $3k.....and someone did. An older guy just getting into track days and he has put it to good use!!!

#5 ·
I owned an SV650 years ago, and enjoyed it completely, but this time around, my desire for the Ducati is going to affect my decision making process. I was thinking that an 848 would be pretty handy around the track, not too fast/powerful. I am not a stranger to 1000cc bikes or v-twins and an 850 twin would be right up my alley. I think that letting go of the CBR may be the best decision. Can anyone tell me any cons of the 848?

#8 ·
Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Suzukis (Not) but the SV650 is the perfect bike for learning trackcraft if you have some experience riding big sportbikes, the Duke 848 would be ok but I think still too much bike for first time. If you want Italian find a late model Cagiva 650 you will be surprised how fast you get by going slower.

Ha, and my first track bike was a MV.....oh, it still is.
.....hehehe always an exception to the rule Donsy :yo:

#9 ·
Ian, am thinking about parting with my track bike. It has never been down - I don't push it to the limit. I am original owner - bought it new, put 1000 miles on it on the street to break it in before putting it on the track. Have all the original factory street parts - see my signature for some of the modifications.

Also, has Ducati Performance ECU that comes with the Full Termignoni system (performance wise, it's faster than a Triumph Daytona 675) custom painted Skarkskinz track plastic with DoubleBubble screen, 2nd gas tank and seat for track (on bike), and more stuff. All maintenance performed by Ducati mechanic.

I just ran it at the Bub 4 track day last month - it runs great! (needs new tires)

#13 ·
Pm sent

Maybe you should look for a 748......doesn't Chuck have one that has been crashed by a few forum members???
Thanks Ed, but Kevin just offered his un-crashed 749.

I cry regardless Ian, but mostly because it hurts the old body a bit. Truthfully, I don't think it's that much more to repair the MV than any other track bike, it's getting it up to a good standard for the track that cost's so much more. I would not recommend it to anybody aiming to push a bit hard.

That bike looks great Kevin.
Dons, I think that once I get my sea legs, I might be more comfy with the idea of taking the MV out there. I definitely don't plan on pushing it, I just want to go fast and find good lines without fear of law enforcement and/or telephone poles and guard rails, both of which scare me and are in abundance on the street.

#11 ·
Maybe you should look for a 748......doesn't Chuck have one that has been crashed by a few forum members???

#16 ·
Colin is the only one that crashed it. And that was just a low side in the grass off turn six. It has rashed plastics on it from a former racer, so it looks beat....it's a sleeper...ask FJ who rode it at the Bubbbb track day. I do believe he liked it. I also have all the original body in pristine condition for when I decide to put it back to road worthiness.

#15 ·
The CBR's make excellent track bikes,, As you already have it, spend a few $ on a good shock and some track plastic and off you go.

The "it's too" fast argument only stacks up if you are not a sensible rider. You know the bike, how it delivers the power etc. should not be a problem. Buying another bike seems a little wasteful as you might not like track riding, as it's not for everyone ?

#17 ·
If I do this, I want to keep relatively current with the bike, 05' or later maybe. I am still running into resistance from the wife, even selling one to buy another. We have a master bathroom ripped out and she says it MUST be completed before I do any "garage spending" even if I stay monatarlly neutral, bah! I really love the 848 for a next bike and might just have to bide my time with some masking tape and a used rear shock for the cbr. While the Veltrat would be pretty awesome to own as there is most likely only one, I do want a variety before I buy a second MV.

#18 · (Edited)
To create it is, with the F4!

Well, it's been a couple of years, but after the Bubb5 track day, I am sold. I sold the CBR to facilitate the purchase of the Audi, and I haven't been riding the F4 on the street at all, so it's time to turn it into a dedicated track bike. I have taken all of the street plastics off and offered them for sale. Most have already sold. I am turning in the plates tomorrow.

I know that a lot of you advised against the F4 as a first track bike, but I handled it pretty well at Little Tally and right now I just can't get permission from the wife to buy anther bike, especially since I'm not really riding this one much, so the F4 it is.

Arthur turned me on to an FBF Ebay deal, and I bought a complete carbon fiber race faring kit, including the upper, lower, air tubes, and tail. I also picked up a Sharkskinz upper already painted in Red Silver livery and a race fairing stay, and I already have a matching Red Silver monotail. I also have and will be keeping both of my used and a new airbox and fuel tanks. I will need to get a lower from Sharkskinz, and have it painted with the airbox, fuel tank and front fender to match the upper and the tail. The other airbox and tank will match the carbon fiber fairings quite well I think, so I will likely leave the carbon fiber as is, maybe some paint and decals later. . All together it should set me up with two complete sets of track fairings.

Now to begin to figure out what else that I will be needing to make the bike a good trackday unit.

The bike already has:

Sil Moto exhaust
FBF headers and remap
FBF Clip ons
Race fairings and fairing stay

So far on the list:

Complete fuel pump plate assembly for the second tank.
Air filter for second airbox
Sharkskinz lower to go with the upper.
Rear hugger to protect the Sil-Moto pipes now that the rear fender has been removed.
Slipper clutch
Individual front brake lines.
Track dash
second windscreen- on it's way thanks Curtis.
tire warmers and track tires (I wore my street tires out at Little Tally)
Sport Chock
Front fork rework (There is an Ohlins place in Asheville ?)
Ohlins or Mupo rear shock
Frame, swingarm, and case sliders
Rearsets

Looking forward to starting this build, I needed something to do. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.:popcorn:

#24 ·

Well, it's been a couple of years, but after the Bubb5 track day, I am sold. I sold the CBR to facilitate the purchase of the Audi, and I haven't been riding the F4 on the street at all, so it's time to turn it into a dedicated track bike. I have taken all of the street plastics off and offered them for sale. Most have already sold. I am turning in the plates tomorrow.

I know that a lot of you advised against the F4 as a first track bike, but I handled it pretty well at Little Tally and right now I just can't get permission from the wife to buy anther bike, especially since I'm not really riding this one much, so the F4 it is.

Arthur turned me on to an FBF Ebay deal, and I bought a complete carbon fiber race faring kit, including the upper, lower, air tubes, and tail. I also picked up a Sharkskinz upper already painted in Red Silver livery and a race fairing stay, and I already have a matching Red Silver monotail. I also have and will be keeping both of my used and a new airbox and fuel tanks. I will need to get a lower from Sharkskinz, and have it painted with the airbox, fuel tank and front fender to match the upper and the tail. The other airbox and tank will match the carbon fiber fairings quite well I think, so I will likely leave the carbon fiber as is, maybe some paint and decals later. . All together it should set me up with two complete sets of track fairings.

Now to begin to figure out what else that I will be needing to make the bike a good trackday unit.

The bike already has:

Sil Moto exhaust
FBF headers and remap
FBF Clip ons
Race fairings and fairing stay

So far on the list:

Complete fuel pump plate assembly for the second tank.
Air filter for second airbox
Sharkskinz lower to go with the upper.
Rear hugger to protect the Sil-Moto pipes now that the rear fender has been removed.
Slipper clutch
Individual front brake lines.
Track dash
second windscreen- on it's way thanks Curtis.
tire warmers and track tires (I wore my street tires out at Little Tally)
Sport Chock
Front fork rework (There is an Ohlins place in Asheville ?)
Ohlins or Mupo rear shock
Frame, swingarm, and case sliders

Looking forward to starting this build, I needed something to do. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.:popcorn:

if you need slipper clutch let me know, I have stm one for $650 shipped

#19 ·
Sounds like a good start.
The suspension work is the key.

#20 ·
Hmmmm. I have a spare lower that I beleive is a SharkSkinz., at least it appears to be a match for what I have on Lola now (need to take time to do an R&R to confirm fit.....a gift to me from another forum member which I would gift to you....if we have the same race plastic??
Will be traveling through your part of the world occasionally. I'll check it out and send you some pics. If it fits I will pass it forward.

#22 · (Edited)
That would be awesome Ed, if it fits let me know and I'll happily pay for it or find something to gift you in return (a nice bottle of scotch?) Next time you're up in my neck of the woods, let me know regardless, I'd love for you to stop by and have a beer, or I could meet you like last time.

Ian... I know you've got your heart set on a Duke, but have you considered a cheap Triumph Daytona or even a Street Triple..

The sit up a beg position ( Brutale owners favorite posture) would make it easier to learn your track craft. And you can get loads of cheap parts for these models on Ebay.

haha I always thought the fave Brutie position was bend over and take it, but now I know. There are better odds of me being the new Top Gear host than of Lauren letting me get another motorcycle right now. I've spent quite a bit onthe Audi in the last 6 months. As I progress though I will want to get a thrasher bike eventually, but Marty has convinced me that a late model GSXR 750 will be a good choice because of the huge spare part market that exists here.

#38 ·
The sit up a beg position ( Brutale owners favorite posture).....
Versus the standard "bend over and take it up the...." F4 riding position? :stickpoke

#26 · (Edited)
Coming Along Nicely

The bike is starting to take shape as a decent track bike. After removal of all of the street parts and installation of the carbon fairings, the bike is looking nice.. Recent additions have been crash protection with SATO bar, front and rear wheel sliders, frame sliders from Design Corse, STM slipper clutch, ZG Double Bubble screen, CF rear hugger, and coming very soon, but not soon enough for Monday, upgraded rear suspension.

pics in no particular order...

image hosting 5mb

#28 ·
The bike is starting to take shape as a decent track bike. After removal of all of the street parts and installation of the carbon fairings, the bike is looking nice.. Recent additions have been crash protection with SATO bar, front and rear wheel sliders, frame sliders from Design Corse, STM slipper clutch, ZG Double Bubble screen, CF rear hugger, and coming very soon, but not soon enough for Monday, upgraded rear suspension.

pics in no particular order...

image hosting 5mb
How is that STM slipper Clutch on the track? I hope you like it.

#31 ·
Well, the morning sucked as I lost fueling in the first lap of the first session on the far side of the track from the paddock, and had to sit on the side of a 95 degree tarmac for twenty minutes and wait for the possum wagon to pick me up after the track went cold. We thought we got it sorted out before the second session, but it died again, starving for fuel on the second lap (it kindly died near the pits this time and I pushed it the 100 yards back to my paddock spot.) between and during the third session we removed the fuel tank and the fuel plate from the tank, and blew out all of the lines with compressed air, and believe that there was an obstruction in the return line that was holding things up. After cleaning out the tank and reassembly, the bike ran flawlessly for the rest of the day.

The slipper was great and made my corner entry much much smoother than it had been, allowing me to be on the throttle more consistently and smoothly during entry, improving my corner speed dramatically. I improved lap times by a wide margin, and was keeping up with some of the faster guys like Marty and Sean in the afternoon. Very happy overall. The Moto Corse Ohlins TTX 36 is next on the list with a front fork rework to follow shortly after. I will post some pictures in the TDPT as soon as I receive the hard copies.

Thanks again Phil:f4::yo:

#34 · (Edited)

:popcorn:
The F4 is doing well for me, thanks.

Attachments

#37 ·
Aawwwww yeeahhhh!!

This showed up in the mail today, thanks Alex and GP Racing for dealing with Moto Corse and all the international hubbub and getting this to my door with a simple phone call on my part. I'll likely install tonight after the girls are in bed... :F4:

Attachments

#39 ·
This showed up in the mail today, thanks Alex and GP Racing for dealing with Moto Corse and all the international hubbub and getting this to my door with a simple phone call on my part. I'll likely install tonight after the girls are in bed... :F4:
Very nice Ian, very freakin nice :mouthwate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.