MV Agusta Forum banner

Modified kickstand

19K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  theknurl 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a mod that I've been meaning to do for some time, having already done something similar on my GSX 750 retro http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47499 (I've included some closer shots).
With a painted...or polished stand the 'foot' always gets scratched when it contacts the ground..and if it's steel then the exposed metal will rust, which will in turn 'spread' and look unsightly.

A while ago I 'polished' my Brutale kickstand.....however along with the foot getting chewed up...it's also a little too short causing the bike to lean a little too much for my liking. Some aftermarket companies have taken note of this and made a slightly longer replacement stand.
I however chose to do my usual modification to the OEM stand...'dressing it up' and in the process addressing the 'lean' problem.

As I did not want my stand to look like it had either a 'club foot' or was sporting a 'platform shoe' the most I was prepared to extend the foot was 8mm.... It needs to be this thickness anyway to accept the retaining S/S cap head screws and rubber 'pads'.

I also machined two 14mm recesses into the underside of the 'foot' and added two corresponding rubber discs punched from a shoe sole repair kit.

Also while I was at it I machined a new decorative pivot bolt in brass to complete the 'dress up'.
Here are some shots to show how I got on....and a photo of me in my usual place.
Brian:).

Oh...I hope I'm not in trouble with Noel now...for posting a photo of myself in the wrong section Hehee!

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Brian,
When you 'retire' from your day job you could make a killing in the customizing world, every time I open your threads I watch the beuty of your work unfold and can't wait to see your next adventure.

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks Dons..Naa, things pretty much the same over here..that's why I've got time on my hands to fiddle on the lathe! Speak to you soon mate.

Brian,
When you 'retire' from your day job you could make a killing in the customizing world, every time I open your threads I watch the beuty of your work unfold and can't wait to see your next adventure.
Dan..cheers,. glad your enjoying the show...I've more in the pipeline..and 'something' coming up for you!

What can I say Brian about your projects that hasn't already been said.. :yo:Respect

I keep think about what us less talented guys are going to do for these types of jobs when the likes of yourself, Richard Peckett at P&M and Martin (He is The Messiah) Russell ex-BSA machinist all retire and hang up your lathes.

It will be a sad day in the World of engineering. :bawling:

John..your comments are far too kind!
For you to mention me in the same breath as those guys....well I'm gonna have to raise my game!...and my next post 'might' just do that...Stay tuned:)
Brian.

#13 ·
What can I say Brian about your projects that hasn't already been said.. :yo:Respect

I keep think about what us less talented guys are going to do for these types of jobs when the likes of yourself, Richard Peckett at P&M and Martin (He is The Messiah) Russell ex-BSA machinist all retire and hang up your lathes.

It will be a sad day in the World of engineering. :bawling:

#18 ·
Brian, if I may ask, how do you keep those polished bits shiny over time? Are they clear-coated with something, or will they tarnish over a period...?

#21 · (Edited)
Chuck yes the (the brass more so than the polished aluminium) will tarnish over a period...and I just keep 'on top of it' with a kind of 'barrier' polish called.. 'Belgom Alu'..http://www.planetpolish.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17
I am not a fan of applying any kind of clear lacquer etc as when it's applied the result is never as 'polished' as I like and if it gets chipped..moisture can get behind it. I like 'access' to the metal to keep it how I like it. And with this polish you can keep the tarnish at bay...the aluminium on the other hand will 'stay' for much longer...but try to avoid getting it wet or you'll get water stains...so it's 'a labour of love' but all part of the 'fun':)
Bloody hell Brian, is there such as thing as TOO MUCH talent? If so, then I can definitely level that accusation at you! ;)

Simply brilliant mate and for from those of us who can't even imagine doing that type of work - we just stare in AWE!

It may be cheaper to buy a longer stand but it's 1000 times less cool.

Outrageously clever.

Cheers
Rob
:laughing::laughing: No Rob..I was referring to Eddy looking for a 'cheap lathe' and the price involved.
Thanks as ever my friend..your 'passion and enthusiasm' is infectious and always makes my day...Cheers mate.

More super cool stuff, if you ever make something you're not excited about send it my way.:naughty:
:laughing: Bradley.. believe me it's like a 'recycling dump' in my garage...and nothing gets 'wasted'. Sometimes a 'mess up' can be reworked and machined into a 'nice bolt' etc. Once again kind words indeed! thank you.
When I was model making seriously my sources for 'material' would amaze you....'stripped electrical wire'....'old disassembled watches'...even some elements of womens jewelry (braided silver/gold wire etc) 'Any F4 rider should be a good source for for this' Hehee (Randy is a bad influence!!!!)
An inventive...problem solving..imaginative approach to making 'stuff' is IMO every bit (maybe more) as important as being competent on any 'machine'
Brian:)

#19 ·
Wow

Bloody hell Brian, is there such as thing as TOO MUCH talent? If so, then I can definitely level that accusation at you! ;)

Simply brilliant mate and for from those of us who can't even imagine doing that type of work - we just stare in AWE!

It may be cheaper to buy a longer stand but it's 1000 times less cool.

Outrageously clever.

Cheers
Rob

#22 ·
Hi Brian.

How did you make the socket head for the allen key?
Is this just a milling op in the rotary dividing head? or do have a special technique / broach or other?
Thanks, Nick.

#30 · (Edited)
Excellent info BG Wells, thanks very much for the info, seen as the previous owners of my bike have seen fit to polish all the metals bits they could find including the wheel rims I have my work cut out, and with me it's always been a love/hate thing what with all the polishing I have to do.

I have never used anything other than Autosol but I am up for trying others, partic as I want a better lustre on the wheel rims, the other parts I can mirror shine, the rims always elude me despite using a modelling drill and felt pads.

Looks like it's partly your fault as the Italian Mistress forces me to part with the dosh again.

Once again cheers for your time!

Ok BG Wells, I ordered the Aluminium polish to give it a go, but confused with their range as they also do the premium polish and the Zepplin mirror prep and Zepplin mirror finish, which is basically 3 different products in their range to polish Aluminium, what's this about getting people to part with more dosh, or just if you want to go for the ultimate?

#31 ·
For anyone interested in polishing I endorse BG Wells opinion of the Brilliant polish, it's a liquid chemical cleaner and nicer to use than an abrasive paste like Autosol.
Got a much better finish on my wheels using the Aluminium and next the finishing polish which has the extra wax in it.

#32 ·
Thought you'd like it!....and glad your pleased with the results. I've use 'many' metal polishes over the years and the ones from this company are by far (in my opinion) the best!.
But now you've started....it's a 'labour of love'...and the only way to keep your bike the way you want it is to get into a cleaning and polishing routine...(don't let it get dirty in other words).....and if you do ...'get on it's case right away'!
Brian.

#35 · (Edited)
Worried by the lean angle of my F4 and inspired bij BG Wells, Mitchy, Merc07, and others, i decided to modify my kick stand. I had to use basic tools; handsaw, rasp file, drill, sandpaper, threading tool (hand tap with M5 bit).
I love my modified stand. No scary lean angle for me!
I hope that this post will help some of you.

Have fun!

Step 1: For this purpose I used aircraft grade aluminium. Choose the desired height (desired lean angle). I made 2; one for myself and one for my mate Maximum Velocity.

Step 2: disassemble the kickstand. The easiest way is to do is to disassemble the complete bracket with stand.

Step 3: draw the feet of the sidestand on the aluminium strip.Note: make sure the feet is flat and not wobbly to support the new plate. If not, use a file to straighten the surface of the bottom of the kickstand.Otherwise ther will be to much stress on the threading and a risk of failure.

Step 4: use a handsaw and follow the lines as best as you can.

Step 5: use a rasp file to refine the cuts. Measure every while by holding the piece against the feet of the kickstand.

Step 6: use sanding paper to smoothen out the surface,

Step 7: Drill holes in the plate. First 5.5mm through, second 9mm but only half way (to sink the allen screw head). Holde the plate agains the feet of the kickstand and wind some tape arround it to hold in in place. Use a 4.2mm drill to drill the holes in the kickstand. Remove the tape and plate and make the threading in the kickstand. Mount the plate on the kickstand and use some Loctite (243) to secure the allen srews

This is the result in the Clinometer app (20mm modification). I love it! So much better.

This is the result in the Clinometer app (10mm modification).
[PICTURE FOLLOWS]

#37 ·
Great work! And thx Marco!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.