MV Agusta Forum banner

What upgrades are needed on a 1000s

3K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  theknurl 
#1 ·
I am getting a mint preowned stock F4 1000S in the am one that has only 400 miles on it and was able to pick it up for 14K(I think a decent deal). I am just wondering are the RG3 that much louder and what kind of umpfff it will add. Do I need to put air filter in and what other musts are there that I need to know about. Do I need more teeth on the back or less on the front. I am looking to use on the twisty roads only.

#2 ·
There are no must do mods other than making sure it is tuned properly as they are prone to throttle abruptness....http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/12/tuning-1-throttle-position-sensor-tps.html

That said, the RG3's (I don't have them, though my pipes are cored) will give you a nicer throatier tone (louder but not too loud), a small increase in hp and will improve mid range power a little.

At some stage you may want to change the rearsets as they can become a little slippery once worn.

These bikes are geared high so you could go up in the rear sprocket

desmolight said:
I can only suggest to change the rear one. It cost more (chain+sprocket) but it will run perfectly.
-1 on the front gives:
> more stress to the chain (smaller diameter)
> more friction (smaller diameter)
> less efficienty because of the high torque of the 1000cc
-1 on the front is ok for 600cc or 750cc
I tested both configurations on my 998S. Std is 15/36. I was running 14/36 and I went to 15/39. Much better that 14/36. You feel more torque with a stronger acceleration and no problems with the chain.
Soon I will test on my F4 1000 15/41 and let you know how is it.

Check the link below. I is in German but it can help you to choose your gearing.

http://motorrad.sowas.com/technik/sonstiges/gangdiagramm.html
but you might want to get used to the bike first, the 1000 has plenty of power as it is.

#3 ·
Great price. On twisty roads...I don't think you need to do anything

#4 ·
Are stock pipes loud enough and how much more would the MV rg3 be? Are they worth a $1900 upgrade with chip and slipons with labor. I am not looking for any more HP maybe a little sound. I was reading that they really aren't to much different then the stock ones.

#8 ·
my suggestion would be to ride the bike for a month at least stock. then you will figure out the MUST DO's for you. after that, question or read the forums and you will know what to do next. modding a bike before even having it in hand seems a little counter-intuitive to me. well except replacing cheap plastic with carbon. :D

#9 ·
I think everyone who has replied so far has given sound advice. I would certainly ride the bike unmodified for a while before contemplating any changes. If you read through the threads here there are loads of mods you can make. Some expensive and some less so. Aftermarket pipes are very popular on MV's but quite expensive. Air filters, Power Commanders you name it MV's are no different to any other make of motorcycle these days, there are tons of parts available, including my own Achillies heel, Carbon Fibre parts galore. Have fun with your new toy before giving your wallet another hammering. :)

#11 ·
Well, I'm two weeks into riding and researching on my new '05 1000s. I've decided to invest in three areas only:

+ Good rearsets that improve the ergos for me personally
+ State of the art brakes for feel and safety
+ State of the art radar setup to help keep myself out of jail.

I'm leaving engine, exhaust and the rest stock. The bike has enough power. Carbon bits are for looks only as the components they replace are quite light and I like the stock look (blue and silver). Lighter wheels are not an option because the "star" pattern wheels are too damn pretty. I'd go for some weight-dropping magnesium components, but I haven't seen them in silver--just the Oro gold. So, that's it! Oh, and an alcantara seat for the ha ha's. ;-)

#12 ·
I just got off a borrowed F41000, after riding my 750 for 4 odd years.....awsome machine....
I'd start with half a dozen coffees after your first ride....then,

RG3 pipes and chip, and fuelling must be right.
Better brake pads..and make sure they're bled spot on.
Rear sets for better grip...

Throw some carbon at it if you must.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.