MV Agusta Forum banner

Tweaks to MotoGP rules announced.

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  rchase 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Premier class? Prototype class? - Not any more.

Maybe they should just issue an event script for each event to make it entertaining - Reverse grid, fastest qualifier goes to the back of the grid etc. Then we can all rave on about who is sandbagging etc etc.
Race script: Danny gets off the line first, then Jorge can catch up and pass for a while. Cue Rossi to then get between the two of them with Cal and Dovi bringing up the rear. A CRT rider holds up the leading bunch until the lead group is a minimum of 6 riders. In the meantime Marquez started from the rear of the grid and takes the lead on the last lap. Who wins? Whoever makes the kamikaze dive under brakes into the last corner.
But really, who cares?

#5 ·
Sounds like a NASCAR All-Star race.

#9 ·
RChase ..over the top technology... is what MotoGP and to an extent WSBK is all about . I can see limiting some tech , especially high tech electronics , in club racing or even AMA BSB . But in this case its the CEO of Dorna trying to gain political power over the manufacturers . Espenosa?spelling says he is trying to bolster MotoGP grids and cut costs but when Honda promised to sell 23 factory satilite motoGP bikes for cost , increase sponsorship to new satilite teams Espenosa sai it gave hond too much power ? Cut costs ? he allows CRT teams to spend 300% more money on electronics than the factories . Spec ECU has been found to increase costs.And now he has banned carbon fiber wheels ? why? top teir metal wheels are dam near as expensive . The only thing that does is make high speed racing more dangerous. Little by little he is trying to push out the manufacturers in Motogp.
I love WSBK , BSB and AMA but MotoGP shouldnt be watered down to be the same machine . It Is still the premier class in the world . You can have competitive CRT machines and factory prototype machines . I will explain later as I have new GF comming over in a bit .

#13 ·
RCHASE in the usa we had the Harley 883 twins series years ago and it produced top top riders in WSBk and MotoGP. The racing was very close with riders sliding and fighting the Harleys flexy frames in every corner .My race team crew cheif is looking to set up a new series in AMA or CCS under the ame premise . This time aroundthe machine of choise will be the new Honda CB500R. The bikes will be stock units using a single brand spec tire, single brand spec suspension, single brand spec brakes,spec ECU,single brand spec intake and single brand spec exhaust .
Why not Bone stock? all upgrades will be inexpensive, exactly the same, and for the purpose of added durability for racing . No internal engine modification so no one team should have a power advantage over anouther team. the onda CB500R is a light ,quick handling machine and cost only around 5000$.
The class will show which rider has the most skills and the biggest bollocks.

#14 ·
To each their own. The technology invasion in motoGP is eating away at a lot of the interest I have had in it over the years. The next step is to remove the riders all together and just declare the winner based on a computer simulation of the bikes and their performance profiles. :)

#17 ·
I'm with you on this one rchase and share you're concern, but on a more positive note- Somehow WSBK still manages to put out a good product each year, that is both real feeling,competitive and extremely fun to watch- which says to me that if run the right way MotoGp should still have some hope of being saved.

Not sure how they are going to get it done or get themselves out of the corner they have painted themselves into, but their is hope in following the formulas put forward in the real racing series, where people actually really race each other as competitors.

#18 ·
RC Chase I actually think they should have a reduction and cap on rider aids to put more emphisis on the riders skills. But you dont have turn a MotoGP bike into a Superbike/CRT bike to achieve close racing. Let The CRT bikes Displacement increase to 1200cc but allow the factories 1000cc with capped rider aids but unhampered developement all other areas. ( I heard the factories would be willing to consider a proposal of this nature.) Everyone is happy, displacement is truly cheap horsepower so the CRT teams are happy being happy to close the speed differencial gap. The factories are happy being able to develope new tech . Cutting rider aids helps CRT teams because riders have a chance to...outride.. teams with more resources. It would also be cheaper for start up teams to enter MotoGP. Lastly the factories woould be willing to field 23 satite teams =full grids. I KNOW ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE BUT LETS NOT PUSH THE FACTORIES OUT OF MOTOGP FOR THE SAKE OF SOMEONE WANTING MORE CONTROL OVER THE TEAMS/SPONSORS. I have to go bt ill explain the collateral costs of spec ECU later.

#19 ·
Personally I would love to see them ban traction control, slipper clutches and ABS and any other electronics beyond the fuel injection. Give the factories as much power as they dare use. 2000cc's No problem! It would certainly make the racing more interesting and get rid of that horrible downshifting sound from those too lazy to rev match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.