MV Agusta Forum banner

New f4 Owner, initial impressions vs GSXR1000

9K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  sqd8r 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am super excited to finally be the owner of a 2006 F4 1000s Flat Black. Coming from the Jap bike world, I sold my 2006 GSXR 1000 for my dream bike. This post is not scientific (obviously), nor am I an expert of any kind. I've been riding for 6 years and do track days.
It is simply my initial impressions and opinion after riding the F4 for one week everyday vs the GSXR 1000.

DESIGN
The design of the F4 bike is striking, never have I seen such a beautiful looking bike. Photos do not do it justice. It's a thousands times better than the GSXR.

COMFORT
The GSXR was much more comfortable. The seating position on the F4 is very aggressive and will take some time getting used to. I do believe it is a better position due to the fact that i can feel air traveling through my helmet where as on the GSXR I would have to be in full tuck to get air flow.

REAR SETS
The rear sets on the F4 suck. They are too small, do not provide enough grip, the adjustments are barely useful, and tend to transfer the heat from the bike. The GSXR rear sets are much much better. I never had issues with them. I will be replacing the F4's rear sets soon.

POWER
The power on the F4 is awesome. It delivers the power very smooth. So smooth that you don't realize it which can get you trouble sometimes. LOL! The power delivery on the GSXR was just brute force, lots of fun, consistent power across the power band at any time. The F4 feels like it has a bit more power. I would not say one is better that the other, it would be a matter of preference but I am really liking the F4's power delivery over the GSXR.

THROTTLE
I would have to go with the GSXR on this one. The throttle on the F4 is
very jerky. It does not like to go slow. LOL! First gear takes some serious getting used to when traveling through local traffic. At the moment there are times where its better just to go into second gear to keep the F4 calm. This thing just likes to go fast! highway speeds is where this thing loves to be and it shows.

HANDLING
Damn!!!! The F4 is simply amazing! The GSXR does not come close to the handling capability of the F4. It feels light like a 600cc and handles like a 600cc but with all the power of a 1000cc. I cannot say enough of how much the handling impressed me.

FIT and FINISH
This one is a little weird for me. In many cases the fit and finish on the F4 impressed me in other areas it left me puzzled. For example the attention to detail was outstanding on the F4, the way the wires were hidden, the routing of cables, screws, removal of the fairings, it feels like a high end product. However, the instrument cluster feels a little cheap, the lighting also felt like a second grade product. Light leaks from the headlight and the turn signals, in sunlight the instrument cluster lights were just visible enough. Overall though the F4 is certainly way above the GSXR.

HEAT DISSIPATION
I have to give this one to the GSXR easily. The F4 just gets seriously HOT! I've never had any heat issues with any of the bikes I've owned but this F4 is a pain in the ass with the heat. I've been on the forums searching for the heat issue and CAG has been an amazing help in pointing in the right direction but I just can't get the F4 to stay cool.
I've flush the cooling system, added engine ice, the fan blades are the aluminum not the plastic ones, I've done the fan mod switch and it still
over heats. I have to keep working on it.

VIBRATIONS
Why does the F4 have so much handlebar vibration? It is to the point where I am not comfortable pushing the bike above 10K RPMS because it is too much. This has a direct effect on confidence on the bike, it feels unstable (even though it is not). The GSXR was solid and never felt unstable and no vibrations either.

Those are my initial thoughts on the F4. I need to tweak it to get all the kinks out but LOVE this bike and do not regret giving up my GSXR 1000. I still have a GSXR 600, best of both worlds.

Anyway, I thank all that actually took the time to read this long post.
I would greatly welcome any comments and feedback.

Best,
Cuest

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I've never ridden a GSXR1000 or any GSXR for that matter, in fact, I don't think I've even looked at one all that closely - so I agree with everything you posted. :)

On a serious note, I've spent a lot of time tweaking mine to get it exactly as I want it (including cooling issues) & it brings me a great deal of joy both riding & tweaking/solving problems. I wouldn't swap for ANY contemporary non MV Agusta.

I guess it comes down to what you want from a bike and what brings you joy. You said you 'LOVE' this bike, that's a pretty good place to spring from.

Ps. I've also changed my footpegs ;)

#3 ·
That sounds like a pretty accurate comparison. I've owned three GSX-Rs (although none of them were an '06). While they were all nice, fun, fast bikes, they can't compare to the F4 in terms of style, sound, exclusivity, and general "coolness".

I agree about the F4 riding position. The back of my neck was actually sore after I rode my F4 the first several times, from having my head crooked back so I could see out of the helmet. But I got used to it and now I love it. Every other bike now seems too "upright"!

#4 ·
While I absolutely detest Gixxers with a passion, what you find in your comparo is pretty correct to me, apart from the vibration.... the 1000S is smooth to me, maybe a bit harsher than the gixxer but not to the point of 'no fun over 10000rpm' ...your bike may have a small issue for you to sort. All the best with your new bike mate:f4:

#6 ·
Is the vibration high in amplitude or is it just that you are feeling more being transmitted through the hands "like the neck of a bat when you hit short?" If its the latter then get some weighted bar ends, that helped with mine. Otherwise don't notice any vibrations, it was just that what is there I could feel through my hands considerably more.

Heat wise, yeah, she doesn't like being stuck in traffic. I'm doing some upgrades just to make it more stable (mine is only a 750 so its not as prone to boiling over) for longer wear more than anything.

#8 ·
Is the vibration high in amplitude or is it just that you are feeling more being transmitted through the hands "like the neck of a bat when you hit short?" If its the latter then get some weighted bar ends, that helped with mine. Otherwise don't notice any vibrations, it was just that what is there I could feel through my hands considerably more.
Yes, the vibration is at the handle bars (at least thats what it feels like), as I approach 10K I feel them to the point where I do not feel safe pushing the bike further. What bar ends do you recommend? I would like some really good ones.

Run the fans below 40 mph ALL the time. What I did and it makes a huge difference. Alot easier to prevent the heat than try to get rid of it.
Would running them all the time burn out the fan motors? Is it safe to run them like that?

Thanks guys for the input.

#11 ·
all the time?

get a thermostatic fan switch that switches on ~ 185-187 F/85-86C and be done with it, given a head start mine won't go over 196F/91C EVER

originally it switched at 199F/93.......and it was a run away train it went to 216-218F/102-104C

cars use thermostatic switches......do they have problems? no:stickpoke

#9 ·
Fan motors are cheap, much cheaper than anything else youd have to replace due to an overheat. Being said you can get a more powerful pump and such to help with the "spike" when coming to a stop after hard riding.

This is what I bought, the longer will be a bit more effective but they do make shorter ones if you dont like elongating the bars an inch:
http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=238

Being said, nothing about my bike makes me think at 10k I wouldnt want to push it further. If anything the engine seems smoother the faster it goes (probably because the frequency is so high that you cant get any resonance). Where are you again? Maybe you could arrange a meet up with a fellow owner to compare.

#13 ·
Thanks for the bar end link, I will definitely order those and post my results. I live in FT. Lauderdale don't know of other MV F4 1000 owners.
Is anyone near me? I know nico is in west palm beach but he has a 750.

#10 ·
Welcome

i sold my k6 to get the 1078 and indeed this is a fair comparison. Although I am not sure about the power. I think the gixxer has more than the old mvs.

Vibration. Had the same issue. Remove the front nose and put some duct tape on the bottom side - left and right of the headlamp. Its probably the front fairing vibrating. I did on mine and most of the vibration is gone. Oh i can see whats in the mirrors as well now..

Enjoy it.

#12 ·
After switching from my 04 gsxr1000 for a 2011 f4 1000, comfort this bike is not built for! Your nuts are roasted on days where temps hit 30c, ur wrists and ass die after a 3 hr ride! But the feel you get when you ride a mv over a gixxer is worth all the problems! Not once in the 7 years i owned the gixxer did i have anyone stop me just to look at the bike!

#15 ·
I have a 2007 MV F4 1000R and my previous bike was a modifed GSXR 1000 K8. Modified so far as it had Arrow pipes, de-cat link pipe, Power Commander set up on a dyno, plus loads of cosmetic improvments and was kicking out 175BHP at the back wheel and weighed an approx 165kg dry...So you could say it was quick.
But I can honestly say my MV feels quicker. I'm pretty sure it isn't quicker, but the hard suspension, the screaming top end and the endless revs give it a really explosive feel when you ride it hard. I felt a little more confident on the road on the GSXR as the suspension was more compliant and handled rough road surfaces better and the power delivery was smoother.
But I find the MV far more exciting and involving to ride plus as you say, there isn't a more beautiful bike out there than an F4 and turning heads comes as standard with an MV.
Congrats on your MV and just enjoy the fact that you own a stunning bike which with a little time and investment will be every thing you've ever wanted from a motorcycle. All the issues you've mentioned can be addressed (overheating, fuelling, suspension etc.) and then you'll have your own personal heaven on two wheels.

Enjoy!

#19 ·
Hello all,

Just a quick update regarding the overheating issue.
Here is what I've done so far and NOTHING has worked, it is still over heating.

1) Replaced the coolant with engine ice
2) Fans have the muzzy aluminum blades
3) Fan switch Mod. I've tried leaving it on all the time still no luck.

So I just ordered the design corse racing water pump upgrade. Should be here this week.
I will report back then.

Once I get the over heating issue fixed I will start working on reducing the vibrations.

Thanks all!

#20 ·
Theres an awful lot of threads around this subject if you do a search, one thing that does help a little is spacing the fairing out slightly at the rear where the two slots are, this helps the hot air get away, try about 10mm per side, just try it with a couple of spacers and tie wraps first.

You have not said just how hot it's getting?

#22 ·
From my experience if you run a 1000R without fairings it does'nt over heat, so anything you can do to let the hot air out helps.

Also if you have the bike at idle and undo those fairing clips the rush of hot air stops you holding the fairing out for very long!! in fact it nearly burns your fingers

#27 ·
I believe most problems with air in the system occur as we all ( including service agents ) try to fill and bleed in one session.
In my experience it doesn't work like that. It takes a few fill...run ..cool..top up cycles to get it purged of air.

The method that works is..

filler cap off..top up to lower mark like Donsy said.run bike and lean to the left to help pop the bubble that gets trapped in the lower rad.
let the temp get up to 80's with the cap off. Don't let it boil...watch the bubbles coming up to the top..It is very therapeutic.
Switch off and let the bike cool.

Repeat a few times.

Ride your bike....If it continues to spit out coolant particularly when you stop to park after running..then when you get home ..repeat the purging exercise.

If you have air in the system, when you stop heat is shunted from the engine into the coolant and any bubbles in there will expand rapidly due to thermodynamic expansion ( or something like that ) and cause a little overflow to occur..

joe

#28 · (Edited)
Please keep us informed on the design corse. I am very interested in the results, my 2007 R reached 121c or 250f+ on Friday with a 32c or 90f day(in traffic)
I've owned a 2004 gsxr 1000
2002 R1
2004 R1
2006 R1
Sadly I have owned my MV for four months and have had more trouble than all others combined!
-Washer in oil pan from head nut?tore bike/motor apart
-Melted fan blades, installed muzzy blades and water wetter
-Leaking fork seals,still leak
-Broken tabs on cat for mount bolts
-Lots of missing hardware
-Impossible neutral while running
4400 total miles with these problems
Having a hard time loving her but she's soooo beautiful!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.