MV Agusta Forum banner

Newbie looking at 2005 F4

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  DarenB68 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have been lusting over these bikes since 99, and now have an opportunity to buy a 2005 F4 for around the $9k US mark with 6700 miles on the clock. I have read a few ride reports from back in 05 and on paper all is good. Is this a good model year for the F4, and is there indeed a F4 1000 vs the F4 1000S. I only ask this as Ducati designates the "S" model with upgraded suspension etc.
Any advice appreciated.

#3 ·
In 05 the F4 1000S was available in mono or biposto. There were also a few limited edition bikes in 2005. Ago and Tamburini were two. Be prepared to read, lots. And be ready to tinker. I'm a newbie MV owner but still have my Ducati and I have to say I was wrong when I thought Ducati's were the most temperamental bike. A lot of 05 models had fuel delivery issues. Threads I would search; ebs relay, well nuts, and rear hub. Be prepared to spend a couple hundred bucks in MV specific tools/spares. Most, if not all models came with rear paddock stand and dry cover. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
$9000 is a little full for an '05 with that many miles on it in my opinion. As Guarda said, all '05s and '06s were S models. The exceptions being the Tamburinis and Agos.

'05 was the first year of the 1000 but it was a good year. They are relatively trouble free.

#5 · (Edited)
Interested to know what the going rate for an 05 would then, and when you say "that many miles" being less than 7k, is a little disturbing. Do people not actually ride MVs? $9k is 41% of the MSRP in 2005. Sounds alright to me. I rarely see any F4s going for under $10k anywhere.
Am I crazy?

#10 ·
Daren,

Are you looking at the F4 1000 S in Seattle for sale perhaps? Are you in that area?

If so, I'm across the sound from you in Silverdale and would be happy to help. I bought the same bike, an '05, last February from a CL ad in Portland. I've done some sorting to what was a bone stock bike (it only had 339 miles), and really like it. PM me if you'd like to talk.

Thanks,

John

#7 ·
As far as the mileage goes, I am a high mileage rider apparently. I have several bikes in the garage that get ridden frequently; my 2008 F4 312r has around 8300 miles on the clock.

#9 ·
$9k = about £5,700 here in the UK. I have an 05 with similar mileage and I would be a bit dissapointed if mine was only worth that. A UK bike in top condition would probably be $800 more than the one you are looking at.

Things to watch have already been mentioned, plus I would get some heat-wrap around the cat to ward-off a burnt belly pan! There are some cracked radiators talked about as well (although I haven't had this on mine - yet!), with an easy fit bracket available. Cooling on all MV's can be an issue, depending where you are in the world and what sort of riding you do. Lots of threads on things to do for that. The next service will be due in the not too distant, so remember to budget for that as well.

#11 ·
John, Im in Portland, and yes thats the bike Im looking at. Guys actually asking $9900 on CL but it also failed to sell on Ebay, stalling at $7800. Cant purchase for a few weeks tho. I will reach out to you when that time comes if the bike still available.

Cheers

#15 ·
I think you've answered your own question. Every human being on the planet interested in a 2005 MV Agusta F4 saw that bike on ebay. That's the nice thing about ebay. They've got reach.

It didn't get past $7800. That gives you an idea of what people with money, ready to buy a bike like that RiGHT NOW think it is worth.

Now, the seller may hold out for more money and he may in fact get it if someone who doesn't know the market comes along with a pocket full of cash.

I'll stick with my assessment that $9000 is full.

I buy '05 and '06s for $8000 and '07s for $9000. I'll pay up for a 312rr because they are so rare or more for a bike with a lot of upgraded parts.

I'm sorry for pissing in the punch bowl, but on the other hand I'm doing the community a service by making the bikes out there more and more rare. Eventually the prices will go up but it hasn't started yet as far as I can see.

#12 ·
Daren,

Yeah, I've been watching that one too, and saw it on both CL and eBay recently.

As with any bike regardless of where it was built, there are odds and ends to watch for and address with the MV. To be honest, it took me awhile to warm up to it. You'd think with 339 miles I'd be getting a new bike. It was, but wasn't 'sorted' in any way, and in stock form the fueling and throttle response left a lot to be desired. I'm not done yet- actually have been distracted with other projects since summer- but with just a little fooling here and there it is much improved, and I'd have a hard time selling now.

When you're ready drop a PM and I'll shoot you back my email and phone number.

All the best,

John

#13 ·
Thanks John, and yes I figured that entering the MV world would come with its minor flaws. Its like marrying a super model and asking her to cook and clean; it aint gonna happen :)

Your advice is, and will be much appreciated if this deal goes thru.

Cheers

#14 ·
Guys,

Do is 7k miles really that much for a 8 year old bike? I would rather know a bike has been riden then sat. I bought one with 7200 and for sure, it was not ridden enough. Plenty of bad bolts and other crap I needed to fix.

Also, I looked at my 07 Pink slip and saw that it was called an RS by the registry in CA? Not sure if that makes it an S or R but it is for sure confusing.

#16 ·
It didn't go past 8 because of his poor business practices evident in his feedback. History is important with MVs, much more so than other bikes. Ask for records. And yes, this bike is probably the least ridden motorcycle, which is a double edged sword. I'm sure most here will agree that the living room MVs will be more problematic than ones that actually were ridden, especially to someone as yet unfamiliar with its nuances, like me.

Take her out for a spin then to an MV dealer and if it looks good, buy it and don't look back. :) Price is decent, not great, historically speaking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.