MV Agusta Forum banner

Gear Selection Indicator

14K views 88 replies 40 participants last post by  cristogrr 
#1 ·
I have had this problem since new in June (3500 miles) the indicator will show a variation of one to two gears.
Postings have confirmed other users have experienced the same, but has there been any success in rectifying?
My dealer has a new switch to fit at the first service, but will that rectify the problem?
:drummer:

#2 ·
My dealer replaced a spring for the gear lever, which fixed the issue somewhat and also provides a much better feel now. They told me that if the issue re-occurs, they'll swap the switch. I may have to get that done too since the problem still occurs occasionally.

#3 ·
Bruce, as you read in my thread Another day, another problem… my dealer was told by Italy that no, at this time they do not have an answer. I too would very interested in anyone whose dealer is saying, “they have a fix.”
I think the factory is leaving it up to the dealers to do the research on these problems. Frustrating as it is it’ll not stop me from swinging a leg over Molly if the roads dry up and the temperature gets above 5c.

#4 ·
I have had this problem since new in June (3500 miles) the indicator will show a variation of one to two gears.
Postings have confirmed other users have experienced the same, but has there been any success in rectifying?
My dealer has a new switch to fit at the first service, but will that rectify the problem?
:drummer:
Install it & find out ;) - Rather unsurprisingly (lol) mine works perfectly and my MV Corse tail tidy has yet to self destruct - now done over 2000kms with it on.

Bike has 2853 klms and is going in Saturday to have the titanium cat free headers fitted along with perhaps the race ECU - not sure on that front, they are going to experiment with different setups/ ECUs & then settle with the optimum solution (to my specifications not those of MCN or anyone else). I expect the bike to be gone for at least a week or maybe longer, I never ever rush my technicians but my expectations are that I will get it back much better than when I gave it to them & that it is to my liking.

I have yet to be disappointed by them - that includes my F4, F3 & classics.

Maybe I am just luckily or it could be good management. ;)

#5 ·
My dealer looked into this and after trying different methods inlcuding a new ECU and no go, MV told them to replace the dash which just arrived yesterday and I will be taking my F3 in this Saturday to get it done. I will ask them if they tried replacing the spring and switch.

#25 ·
I have the same problem, I'm sure my dealer will take my bike for a ride that will last all of 6 miles at best and tell me nothing is wrong.

I keep track, usually I can tell the gear I'm on given the speed and RPM, noticed I said usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#62 ·
No time.to read a dash while racing. Peripheral vision to pick up revs and shift light is all i got time for. So gear count is in my head.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App[/

I have not taken the f3 to the track yet as it only has 80 miles. Bought it to make it my track bike and give the brutale a break. Have always tracked the brut and occasionally the f4, both which have tach with needle instead of progressive graph as the new bikes. I don't know how easy it will be for me to get used at changing gears at the right rpm as i think the f3 rpm's are not as visual as the old needle reading. Have tracked the Desmo once and remember the same thing, not having rpm's very visible to me and probably changed gears at the wrong time a million times.

Maybe i get used to hearing the F3 sound and understanding when the shifting needs to be done. Will see ...

#11 ·
Got a call from my dealer yesterday and after trying a new spring and new dash, indicator still malfunctioning. They have emailed MV and just waiting for a response as to what to do next. They told me they might have to replace the wiring harness. This is really bugging me, I know its not a huge issue but I saved for a long time for this bike and I hope it gets fixed soon.

#15 ·
Hugo, in post #3 of this thread I wrote; “...my dealer was told by Italy that no, at this time they do not have an answer.” That was direct from the factory!
I’m surprised and more than a little confused as to why MV is allowing your dealer to go to such extraordinary measures. :wtf::errr:

#18 · (Edited)
Just wanted to ramble a bit on this gear position indication problem. I'd like to know how it manifests itself for some of you that are having the problem. When mine malfunctions, it is always intermittent and always indicates a gear LOWER than the one I'm actually in. Also in my case, the malfunctions always occur in the higher gears, not the lower ones. From the bits that I've read on the forum, that's not the case for everyone. I did a graph of gear position vs resistance and there are a couple of things that jump out: 1) the curve is definitely non-linear which is not what I would expect for gear indication. 2) this non-linearity causes the gear position to be very sensitive to resistance changes in the higher gears and much less so in the lower gears. So in my case, one cause could be something in the circuitry that increases resistance on a random basis (loose connector, transmission gear position contacts, etc). The 5th to 4th flicker I get would only require about 600 ohms of resistance change. It would be nice to know how the gear is actually computed (in the ECU, I assume) and sent to the display, but that's in the future for now. Hopefully some of you can brainstorm here too and maybe some pattern will emerge that points us in the right direction toward a root cause and - subsequently - a permanent fix for this issue.

Attachments

#21 ·
Hi mine sounds similar to yours mike does it every now and then and usually flickers from 6th to 5th. This is my first bike with a gear indicator on it so still getting used to the fact i have it. Having said that whether a rider uses it or not it shouldn't fail so early on. Cheers ju

#23 ·
My first reaction would be to discount that as a source, as this problem is so intermittent but anything is possible at this stage and there is quite a bit of heat in that area of the bike as your butt will tell you. Not jumping to conclusions is good. So is determining what is NOT a cause. As Spock would say: If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

#35 ·
HI gents,

I spoke with my dealer here in Basel...now this is always an interesting conversation as we both don't speak each others language.....however I have it from him that the gear selector problem is internal to the gearbox. It is in fact a machining problem. I have no further details at this point. It is not an electrical problem. As and when MV find a solution will be a call back. As MV are only 3 hrs down the road in Italy they normally send the tech to Charley at MV Basel (drop by a very good chap) for the first install etc etc this is what happened with the change of the clutch rubbers.

So it will be a recall in future.....and the future is at no fixed point.

#37 ·
Reviving this thread because I just went to my dealer here in SF and apparently they just received an official update from MV acknowledging the issue and saying they will provide a fix for it (to replace a faulty part) this May.

So still wait and see but at least we have official word from MV about it and an ETA.

#38 ·
I have this issue too. I haven't bothered reporting it though since it doesn't affect me much and I don't want to wait to cut out on my riding time to get it fixed.

Though if the problem gets official fix, I definitely will go for what will hopefully be a quick fix.

#43 ·
Just got the same issue guys, ive been running the original map since it was new so the improvement is massive on the new map rides just like my old daytona, glad they have finally sorted it. However the map must have a bearing on the gear indicator bit of a pain as mine gives you the right gear under load but when you are low in the rev range it wanders down a gear on the dash

#44 ·
I have a similar experience.

I had my first service (on my 'standard' F3) in March this year and the map was upgraded at that time - no selector issues B4 the service, but since the service the gear indicator is all over the place.

To counter that observation, my ORO has a late version map and there is no issue with gear indicator.

I wouldn't have thought that the map upgrade is what is causing the issue (especially with ref: to SteveB_Ire comments in this thread 24/01/13), but who knows ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.